The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shop cat  (Read 28825 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: September 05, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »

Took the shop cat to be spayed. This is the stray/outdoor beastie that I sometimes let in my backyard workshop when I'm there and not using high voltage. She brings me a gecko or mouse from time to time, but I enjoy feeding her cat food on the porch in return for pest control. She used to be too distrustful to be handled but we managed to tame her lately by kindness and good food.

This time the pregnancy went wrong, she was not large with kittens as they usually are, but we thought she was too small for the expected 4-5 young to be developed. Only two kittens were born and both looked OK but died the second day. The pic is of her, and behind her is the only surviving 'kitten' from the first litter 3 months ago. He's getting pretty big but is too young to neuter yet.

So it was a good time to have the cat spayed. Soon as they stop nursing their kittens, they can go into heat again and that's what happened. The operation went well, but the vet said the uterus was very inflamed with an infection and looked abnormal and she probably would have died of infection had I not brought her in.

The kitty is recovering in the bathroom, which is also used as a 'quiet-room' for sick cats sometimes.
10 days to heal before being allowed back outside to the porch. And a longer and better life, hopefully more visits with me while I work.

This cat weighs 6 lbs, is less than a year old, and lives on the streets. She has had two troubled litters, almost died from the second one, and no one wants more cats so they are left to themselves. It's not only about cats. Stray dogs suffer the same fate.

The point is that animals can't help themselves. Please spay or neuter the loose cats and dogs you feed. If you feed 'em they're yours!

* 2015-8-28 Young Moma & Little Tomc.jpg (245.68 KB, 1021x965 - viewed 720 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »

"  If you feed 'em they're yours!  "

The two here would beg to differ as to who owns whom.

klc

We throw a few $ to a local no kill shelter. The Humans get our tax $, so I don't feel bad sending $ome to the shelter.

What? Me worry?
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »

Our cat considers the XYL and me as her staff.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »

Yeah, I've heard and seen these old saws many times.
"You don't own horses and cats, you make contracts with them."
...dogs on the other hand, "you join the pack; depending on your smarts you're either the leader of just another follower with one confused dog."

Meant to add, nice kitty and very similar face and stripes to Clytemnestra, a stray from long ago that my mother named.

--must be the Summer radio doldrums, hot, humid and statickie with gorgeous lightning displays, a great ending to virtual summer.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

Such a pretty kitty.  Glad she has a "advocate."  Reminds me of my Rosie

Al

* ROSIE PASSED OUT.jpg (521.06 KB, 3469x2037 - viewed 848 times.)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »

My cat is unimpressed.

* I Don't Care.gif (104.78 KB, 500x281 - viewed 704 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »

Al

Great picture Al.  Notice that her eyes are just barely open.  Hey, I thing someone making a 30 minute transmission put her asleep!! 

Joe 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »

Al

Great picture Al.  Notice that her eyes are just barely open.  Hey, I thing someone making a 30 minute transmission put her asleep!! 

Joe 

She just loves that heat from the dBx 286s.  She does listen to AWA when she feels up to it.

Al

* ROSIE LISTENING TO AWA PM AM NET (COMP).jpg (410.83 KB, 2641x1754 - viewed 759 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »

Well Al, when I hear her meow during the Net, I always put here in the log book

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »

Just a comfortable spot.

/Dan

* Jynx.jpg (323.72 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 813 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »

Nice stchuff Dan.  Close lighting and karma to my basement shack.

Hey Al, my 286 runs stone cold. Oops, maybe I ought to turn it on; maybe even get on the air with it.  Say, Did you ever install an AC switch in yours?

Steve, that's one cool cat. Notice he's hitting the wool and missing the claw with that Emory board or maybe just warming up; neat find.   Can you believe it, this iPad just capitalized Emory?     ..and did it again.

So there you are. Next cat's name will be Emory.

Sitting out on the deck this am enjoying morning ambience before the first 'fall' cool wave hits. Tomorrow's high will be in mid 70's. Yesterday's was 93.  --Eastern humidity, but falling, T.G.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 09:22:19 AM »

Nice stchuff Dan.  Close lighting and karma to my basement shack.

Hey Al, my 286 runs stone cold. Oops, maybe I ought to turn it on; maybe even get on the air with it.  Say, Did you ever install an AC switch in yours?

Steve, that's one cool cat. Notice he's hitting the wool and missing the claw with that Emory board or maybe just warming up; neat find.   Can you believe it, this iPad just capitalized Emory?     ..and did it again.

So there you are. Next cat's name will be Emory.

Sitting out on the deck this am enjoying morning ambience before the first 'fall' cool wave hits. Tomorrow's high will be in mid 70's. Yesterday's was 93.  --Eastern humidity, but falling, T.G.

The 286 get's warm after Rosie's been on it for  10 minutes or so.  No switch

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »

I prevent mine from lounging on radios that have holes in the top. The loose hair and dander will filter down into the radio gear. Compressed air cleans it out, but beware there can be chemical reactions over time leaving little spots here and there. I gave the cats the furniture, drapes, and carpets. Not the radios.

KA3EKH

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 09:57:49 AM »

Years ago was doing some work for a little AM/FM group that played a country format and used the name “Cat Country” they had a black cat mascot on all their vehicles, billboards and the like. They also had an office cat that they kept at the station that the GM was always afraid would somehow get into one of the transmitters and get cooked! One day I had to go out there to reset something and in the process of opening up the door the cat ran out across the parking lot and disappeared.  That’s a dilemma, do you tell them that the cat just got out and ran away or do you just act like you never saw what just happened. Next time I was there they still had a black cat, don’t know if it was the same one or not.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »

* Goaheadyouweresaying.jpg (41.42 KB, 840x643 - viewed 662 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

Well I said something and didn't even get an eye roll.
📛

RICK  *W3RSW*
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »

Checking out the "Done Stack"...

* shop cat 005.jpg (414.71 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 780 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

Your cat has been a very busy feline doing QC.
That's a lot of vertical stash in the outbox.

" We check every one for thermal compatability."

RICK  *W3RSW*
N9axl
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »

I think we need a similar picture of a cat sitting on a Viking or similar

* cat.jpg (5.39 KB, 142x120 - viewed 1250 times.)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »

Izzabella Cat and mouse.

* Bella 80.JPG (1272 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 576 times.)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »

"My pal here Buster is hungry dude" - Boo

* Boo_Buster.jpg (352.88 KB, 1281x1013 - viewed 609 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
VE8NSD

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:04 AM »

We have 4 rescue cats here. Ruby is my shop/shack cat. Notice how much chair she has compared to how much I have.

* image1 (1).JPG (757.5 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 722 times.)
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »

Universal Radio has a large section of their website devoted to office cats and customer's cats. Also, a new on-line cartoon chronicles the life of a corporate CEO with cat-like tendencies:
http://businesscatcomic.tumblr.com/

Bob - NE
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »

It's cold here, about 35 degrees, plenty of wind.

My assistant calls "new animal on the porch!" so I go to the door, he's already there.

What will it be? possum? racoon? nasty dog? will it run away?

Behold! Yellow Tom! Not since the return of the prodigal has there been such rejoicing!

YellowTom disappeared 4 months ago. He was a scruffy yellow not orange tomcat, skinny and not too friendly, and always displaying some sort of apparent pestilence that made him look sick. Maybe made other animals avoid him.. but not so well, as for the last month he was gracing my porch for a few days at a time, his left ear had been almost torn off, and was just healed enough, thanks to neosporin and some daring on my part to clean it from day to day while he ate, so the pinna, or ear flap, what is called the cat's 'ear' would hand down over his ear hole and at least protect it. He could no longer erect or move it, the muscles there ruined by the old insult.

First Pic is in 2015 of him with the shop cat "stripes" as she is called now. In 2015 he was a fine looking fellow. I do not have any other photos unfortunately.

He really looked wasted and dirty today, out in the cold. He looked up at me and meowed silently. He didn't make a sound. My assistant ran to the kitchen and opened a can of tuna and warmed it a little - the cats eat on metal plates now, as the stray dogs won't carry the heavy plates off. I stood there talking to him and making a fuss over him, giving a little petting (He trusts me that far but he's skittish and does not like to be touched.), and the plate was set before him. You would have thought it was a gluttonous feast set before a potentate the way he dug in. Most of the tuna disappeared and then he started on the dry food. Stripes showed up. They get along well.

I went for the camera, but he had left by the time I got back. I hope he will stay around. There is a cat apartment in the back yard. He knows of it, so we shall see. If all he did was come back for a last meal, I am still glad to have seen him. I thought he was long gone. What a wonderful seasonal gift for me to get to help him once more.

There is a new tomcat, "White Paw". He's in his prime. I hope they do not meet.

BTW 2nd image is Stripes today.. I knew she is special but I never suspected she could warp in and out of dimensions.

* miss-and-yellowtom.jpg (272.58 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 507 times.)

* DSC00075.JPG (114.44 KB, 844x900 - viewed 464 times.)

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

My cat is unimpressed.

Your cat and your dog avatar have the same look in their face.

That, impresses me!  Lol.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015