The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clegg 99'er  (Read 28633 times)
kc1dgg

« on: August 22, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »

Just got my technicians and while looking around at stuff other than 2m I became interested in 6m am on tube rigs. I've got a supposedly working clegg 99'er and also a d-104 shipping off ebay. I've read mixed opinions about the 99'er but it fit the budget. I've been told there is a little 6m am activity so I'm hoping to make some contacts.

I'm new to radio but I do have a little electronics experience. I'm just hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with and older radio!

Well time to start building an antenna Smiley
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »

John,

Welcome to amateur radio & AMfon.net. I don't have any experience with Clegg gear, but I'm confident that you will be hearing from some here who are familiar with the '99er.  Keep us posted on your Clegg & antenna.

Brad
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »

Hey John..ya found a gud source of info/help by being here..terrific bunch of experience is available..on the 99'er..I did own one way back when..was kinda sorry to let it go at Deerfield..ran about 4-5watts out or maybe slightly less but the audio reports on the modulation were always gud..not sure if plate modded..I think it had a 4 number final and my collection has a box marked Clegg..a 7558..if not then it might have been a 7360..let's hope not as the 7360 has a BIG price tag!..great sensitivity..it will need a Hi-Z mic..better if that D-104 is not amplified type..hopefully ur xtal element is still gud in that mic..you will need for sure a xtal for the rig..8.400 will give ya 50.4 the AM yakking freq more commonly used but ya already knew that I'm sure..there is an active group here in York County in So. Me that often if not daily get on that freq mentioned on AM..even the TimTron has joined in from up in Scowtown..if there ever was a matching VFO for that I'm not aware as most folks used a HG-10 or various others from Gonset or whatever..just look for 8mhz in xtals if ur goin' rock bound..have fun and welcome aboard!   73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
kc1dgg

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Brad and Dave!

Dave, the d-104 I think is the non amp model but the seller wasn't really knowlegable. I did read about the element failures but I got it for $19. I figure worst case I can modernize it and then use a transformer. The hardest part or this for me is making due with very little testing equiptment!

Not sure if I'm gonna go VFO or stay with crystals. Was tossing around the idea of using a DDS.

Excited to hear that there is some 6m activity near by!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »

The 99'er uses a 7558 tube for the final so output typically is around 5 watts. A 4 or 5 element beam up around 30 or 40 feet at least should give some decent coverage. The receiver is broad so having accurate frequency accuracy (DDS-type stuff) really isn't necessary. However, if 6 meters is your only AM band, you generally will be lonely. AM activity perks up during band openings (Sporadic E) but that generally happens from roughly late May through mid Aug. Sometimes we get spurts of band openings in December but they're generally not common or great. I recall not too long ago, a member (I believe from FL) here got on 6 meters and it took him 1 1/2 years before he made his first 6 meter AM contact. I've been on 6 meters since almost the beginning of time, and it's a fun band with lots of wild and crazy propagation characteristics but lots of patience is required.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kc1dgg

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »

It's just something to have on while I'm messing about and while I study for my general. I was thinking of using the DDS for the tx side. I've also read there was a mod to slave the tx and rx but I can't find anyone who's done it. I'm going to bring that up in the tech section thouh because I just got my radio and it is missing the freq crystal. Sad
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »

All I can says is I repaired a 99'er and it was really pretty easy to work and tune on so you will enjoy it!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kc1dgg

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:41:48 PM »

Hey Opcom! I'm glad to hear it. I do love tinkering and I think that this radio is gonna be a great one to learn some stuff with.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »

Clegg made some really nice VHF gear. The Thor is a little nicer rig, the Venus will do AM & SSB, and of course the Zeus & Interceptor run both 2 & 6 meters with a potent signal.

But as Pete said - patience is the key. Unless you find someone locally to talk with, you'll need to leave the rig on constantly and might be listening for some time before you hear another station or make a contact.

I'd try stirring something up locally just to try it out.

Good luck with it, have fun, and welcome to the group.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »

What type of antenna are you going to build?

W4EWH

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »

I've got a supposedly working clegg 99'er ...

I have a lot of fond memories of the 99'er: it was my first "Store Bought" transceiver.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

• The power meter samples RF from the output circuit, and is sensitive to SWR, so it will change with the antenna and feed line length. It's OK for relative measurements, but don't expect repeatability when you work on the antenna.
  • It's common to replace the rectifier tube with diodes, and if you do that you get a few extra watts of output.
  • The rig will take either 8 or 12 MHz crystals. Back in the days of NTSC TV, 12 MHz rocks would save a lot of TVI complaints. Now, it's nice to know if you find some 12 MHz crystals at flea markets.
  • Some hams used "Tubeless" VFO's with the 99'er, but they had a lot of trouble with drift, microphonics, and general instability. Don't ask how I know! ;-)
  • If you make any mods, I recommend putting a trimmer cap across the crystal socket so you can "net" your 50.4 rock and save the other hams in the net the trouble of retuning their receivers all the time.

Good luck! It's a great little rig!

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
kc1dgg

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »

I know there are some better option but for now I have everything I need to put together an end fed dipole that I can hang between my house and a tree. I live on the coast so I should be able to point it along the coast line and get pretty good coverage I hope.

I did do a lot of googling but there is so much on antenna design it makes my head spin. Gonna try to keep it simple for now.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »

J,

Try a center fed dipole and let the coax hang down below. Tell everyone its a clothes line --  your saving the planet from global waring --

Your ant is going to be around 9 1/4 feet long. Letting the feedline hanging 5 or so feet down won't really hurt things.

Watt I did , a long time ago, was to staple some 14 awg THNN onto the shake siding and  threaded the coax down into the shack. The miracle antenna was invisable!! The ant wasn't more the 8 or 9 feet above the ground. Worked into Wash and Ca this way.

Welcome to the heartbreak of 6.

klc

What? Me worry?
W4EWH

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »

I know there are some better option but for now I have everything I need to put together an end fed dipole that I can hang between my house and a tree. I live on the coast so I should be able to point it along the coast line and get pretty good coverage I hope.

In VHF, there's a saying: "Height is Might". A dipole isn't likely to produce good results on six meters, especially with tree leaves around it. I recommend that you pick up a used Squalo or similar omnidirectional, horizontally-polarized antenna, and get it at least ten feet higher than any surrounding obstructions.

You'll thank me later! ;-)

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
kc1dgg

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »

In VHF, there's a saying: "Height is Might". A dipole isn't likely to produce good results on six meters, especially with tree leaves around it. I recommend that you pick up a used Squalo or similar omnidirectional, horizontally-polarized antenna, and get it at least ten feet higher than any surrounding obstructions.

You'll thank me later! ;-)

W1AC

That's what I was afraid of. It's going to be interesting getting up high enough. I live on top of one of the taller hills around but I also have a row of ancient maple trees on my property. There is a small opening between them that I was hoping to sort of aim the dipole between. It's in the direction that most of the activity around here will be. I will keep an eye out on ebay for a Squalo or maybe try to build something similar.
kc1dgg

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »

Getting this radio makes me want to change my callsign to KC1EGG
kc1dgg

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »

I'm liking the idea of the Squalo. Think I'll try building one.
http://www.pa3hcm.nl/?p=312

But my next question is how do I hide it from my wife?  Grin
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »

J,

" But my next question is how do I hide it from my wife? "

Buy her a new car. That should get you one antenna.

klc

What? Me worry?
kc1dgg

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »

J,

" But my next question is how do I hide it from my wife? "
Buy her a new car. That should get you one antenna.

klc

Grin Well that would cover the antenna purchase but what about the 100' tower I'm erecting in the back yard?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »

Getting this radio makes me want to change my callsign to KC1EGG

It's already taken.

kc1dgg

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »

Ha  Grin figures.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »

Speaking of 6 meters....... here's a map of beacons in and around NA.

http://www.k9mu.com/map/
kc1dgg

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »

Cool there's one like 10 miles from where I work
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 02:49:36 PM »

It's a good tool to figure out where the band is alive.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »

If you go to the 6 & 2 meter forum pages here, http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=34146.0, the 50 MHz activity map in real time gives a visual of 6 meter activity all over he world.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015