The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future SDR  (Read 5370 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: February 25, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »

I was just reminded of a very cool article in QEX a couple issues back.
I sold my R3030A to a guy in Wi. who is into SDR big time and wanted a good front end for some very cool projects. He told me this QEX article
is worth following as it is how the pros do SDR. The guy  in QEX plans to sell kits in the future for about $200 that will hang off an IF strip. The KIT
consists of a board with a  very fast A/D into a very fast FPGA
driving a D/A to make audio. The kit comes with FPGA code that is down loaded viia USB port.  I went back and read it and can't beleive I missed
the point the first time around.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 06:57:24 AM »

Good morning Francis,

Good Subject, I have found some interesting things with the two SDR's i have here, One is the Jupiter and one is FT897D and both i operate via the Gateway down stairs, Now that i made the move to Dell  :grin: the Gateway got sent to the bench..Hi Hi...

It is interesting the experiments i have run on both,[Recieving mainly] and the Jupitor transmits a very nice AM Sig but is Sic on recieve..Ten-Tec shuts off the DSP Registers in recieving in AM, Now the Yeasu...it's quite the litte fellow on recieve AM speaking...and can be very Sparkeling when the Audio is piped through the Audio system i have set up through the machine.

Now i understand that the purists will look at this as imaging the Audio Via Solid state But...But...I have run some FBOM samples and can produce some very nice wave forms...

I have looked at the Unit Arty has aquired and there lies a good possibilty in that direction, i read his writtings he produced here and I'm looking forward to more....

Nice Stuff....
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:48:59 PM »

Yes Art has a cool new machine. Youngblood is a sharp guy and always improving his product.  I think he will compete with the rice boxes in time.
I have my DSP sights on a couple mil rigs or something that hangs off the 455 KHz IF. The Mot DSP56303 module I played with was a fun project to get my feet wet. There is some fine talent working on this stuff but I think we are a few years away from a real good system when A/Ds come down in price. I would like a system with variable slope control on the filter skirts. Then there is the issue of noise.  I'll bang some more nails while I wait for a smart guy solve the hard problems.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

You Know Francis this is good and i wish Arty would come in, I just sent the Jupiter down to ten-tec for the board upgrade and replacement of the EPROM, I think it over heated and developed a Loop in XMit and the VFO is impressing an Oscillilator note on Carrier.. No problem I will effect a fan on board when it returns and as well on the jupiter reflector a coupla guys have or are reworking some of the code to address the DSP filter skirting and i am wondering how they are coming along...Now that the Orion has hit everyone has jumped on the band wagon there and i have fallen out of the loop on the DSP SDR  Nets But, Still the Jupiter Has alot of advantage in recieve I Like for the price.

It is interesting the operator change in parameters Going from 390's to DSP and When alot of the guys found the source code and Rebuilt the buildup to the processor There's alot of Advantage there...One note is to address the overdrive on the broadbandedness of the first and second inbound RF stages, Now once I Addressed that.. and let the DSP process the rest and amplify that...I have found some superb Fidelity...

All in all it's taking that step from hollow state to solid state and applying the same techniuques we're used to and applying that Via Solid state, and i have come to some real nice conclusions as well the availibily of the DSP freeware on the net and applied that Audibly Oh My the processing is endless...Very Nice...

It's just taking that initial step and trusting the circuit theorys, it pans out...

tnx for the qso OM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015