The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ-170 low sensetivity on 40 20 15 &10  (Read 4695 times)
K3ZW
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:46 AM »

Hi all. I have a Hammarlund HQ-170. Receive on 160 & 80 is great.
40 thru 10 not so great. re-tubed and no help. Frequency alignment is
right on just low sensitivity. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:34 AM »

I would start by checking and/or replacing V3 and the voltages on the pins of V3. Also, check the components associated with V3. Also check transformers T2 and T3.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:59:09 PM »

Make sure the band switch is not intermittent. Long switches, as used in many Hammarlund high quality receivers, have a certain amount of "play" between the control shaft and individual wiper wipers. That's especially true at the rear of the Rx where the input RF circuits are loca6ed and switched. In addition to checking play in the switch, it won't hurt to use a good contact cleaner on the switch but do not flood the wafers when doing that. Try "teasing" the band switch while listening to a signal on a poorly-performing band to notice if level suddenly pops up or disappears.

Verify tube dc voltages at their sockets and visually check signal wiring by following buss wire leads from band switch to tube pins or associated components near tube sockets. If visibility is limited in following that wiring use an ohmmeter to check circuits from coils (on low gain bands) to tube sockets/nearby components.

Good luck and Happy Fourth!

Bob - NE

MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »

The only thing that changes when going from dual to triple conversion is that the front side of the SW-2F wafer shorts the upper 455KC winding of T1, and enables  the lower 3035KC winding, while the rear side of the wafer turns the 2580KC oscillator portion of the V3 circuitry on or off by shorting L8.  

Everything else is "in circuit" regardless of selected band.  If I were to hazard a guess, my first thought would be that the upper winding of T1 isn't being shorted when in triple conversion mode, or something in the 455kc coupling network is amiss, maybe the caps (mica?) in one of the cans.   I've heard these can sometimes be problematic.

Of course the oscillator components are suspect as well.

I'm no HQ expert by any means, I just happen to have finished refurbishing my "new" 170 a couple days ago, so this stuff is fresh in my mind(?).

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »

The only thing that changes when going from dual to triple conversion is that the front side of the SW-2F wafer shorts the upper 455KC winding of T1, and enables  the lower 3035KC winding, while the rear side of the wafer turns the 2580KC oscillator portion of the V3 circuitry on or off by shorting L8.  

Everything else is "in circuit" regardless of selected band.  If I were to hazard a guess, my first thought would be that the upper winding of T1 isn't being shorted when in triple conversion mode, or something in the 455kc coupling network is amiss, maybe the caps (mica?) in one of the cans.   I've heard these can sometimes be problematic.

Of course the oscillator components are suspect as well.

I'm no HQ expert by any means, I just happen to have finished refurbishing my "new" 170 a couple days ago, so this stuff is fresh in my mind(?).

Great restoration job Mike!

Joe-W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »

THanks Joe, fun little project.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
WA4WAX

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »

The IF cans on a 170 have SM caps if memory serves.  They can be a liability, as silver will actually diffuse into the mica over time.

I have never rebuilt a can.  Please know that K7PP has many Hammarlund videos on YouTube.  You might get some ideas from these videos.  You might also contact him directly.

Good luck!

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015