The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:08:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local AM radio Station for sale... sadly.  (Read 4357 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: February 15, 2005, 09:42:23 AM »

Got home and found out that the local AM station (WSMN AM 1590) had gone dark. Made a few inquireys. Seems a developer has purchased the land that the station was on to build yet another set of "cluster homes".  The current managment doesn't have a new site yet for the station, and I'm told they would "entertain offers". Makes me think she's a gonner.
Too bad, lots of people grew up listening to that station. As one fellow put it, it was the "sound track" of our lives...  
It was good to be able to tune to a radio station and hear about how the local highschools football team had done, and other local news interests instead of the "Clear Channel" drivel that is syndicated across the country....

so ends an era.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:58:38 AM »

Quote from: Ed/KB1HYS
Got home and found out that the local AM station (WSMN AM 1590) had gone dark. Made a few inquireys. Seems a developer has purchased the land that the station was on to build yet another set of "cluster homes".  The current managment doesn't have a new site yet for the station, and I'm told they would "entertain offers". Makes me think she's a gonner.
Too bad, lots of people grew up listening to that station. As one fellow put it, it was the "sound track" of our lives...  
It was good to be able to tune to a radio station and hear about how the local highschools football team had done, and other local news interests instead of the "Clear Channel" drivel that is syndicated across the country....

so ends an era.

A buddy of mine works for WSNH, he was filling me in on some of the details of this last night.

The management have been unable to find a site for WSMN that will satisfy FCC regs. They haven't totally given up on it (just yet), but they were leaking cash by not shutting it down. WSMN's income didn't come close to their expenses, unfortunately, which made that decision much easier.

If they do fire it back up (which doesn't seem likely at this point), they'll probably respin it to a different format to try and get the revenues back up where they need to be.

I can try to find out if any of the gear is for sale. I suspect it will be soon.

Check SNH, Ed... I think some of the SMN programming may have moved over there.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »

Hi:

Here is Scott Fybush's take on the situation last week:

http://www.fybush.com/NERW/2005/050207/nerw.html

Radio just isnt what it was 20 years ago and I really miss it.

Dan
W1DAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015