The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:29:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Valiant Turbo version ( the restoration begins!)  (Read 31990 times)
xe1yzy

« on: February 12, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »

Ok guys,
want to see some mods. in a VV?, this modifications were made maybe 30 years ago, I recieve this rig as a gift from a Ham friend here in Mexico City.

The transmitter dosent works, have some problems in the Low voltage P.S. what should it do with this rig?

Regards to All

Pedro/ XE1YZY

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/xe1yzy/Viking/index.album?i=2

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 01:43:17 PM »

Wow!  Someone went loco installing random meters on that poor xmitter!

There's no restoring it unless you get a new front panel.... they show up from time to time on eBay and hamfests.  Other than that it doesn't look too bad.  I guess I'd just get it working, do the standard audio modifications, and enjoy it as is until you find a new front panel.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
xe1yzy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 10:56:20 AM »

Hi John..

Yes a lot of meters, and knobs! but you are right, Im going to get a front panel, and do the standard Modifications, Vikings are great rigs!...

73'S

Saludos!

TVI WHAT TVI?
xe1yzy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 06:50:56 PM »

Quote from: w3jn

There's no restoring it unless you get a new front panel....
73 John

John, guess what! looks what I found yestarday!

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/xe1yzy/viking/index.album?i=0&s=1

" Is better have friends , than have money, isnt? "

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 07:09:41 AM »

Wow!!  Looks like it's in good condition, too, after you clean and wax it a bit.

It sounds like the boatanchor scene in Mexico is the way it was in the US about 10-15 years ago - lots of stuff available cheap.

Now you can sell all those extra meters to pay for the front panel!

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »

Pedro,
          I can speak for myself and many others on this boards, we'd LOVE the opportunity to do a sked with you sometime! Do you currently have anything up and running on AM, and what are your bands of choice? Also, do you work 75 and 160 meters?

Lately, a few of us have had European and East-West Coast skeds on 160M and 75M. If we can be heard there I think we could be heard in Mexico and visa-versa, with the right antenna and power levels.

Let me know, and the best of luck with your Valiant!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
xe1yzy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:00:22 PM »

It sounds like the boatanchor scene in Mexico is the way it was in the US about 10-15 years ago - lots of stuff available cheap.

John;
Yes it is, AMers and Boatanchors fans are growing here in Mexico, but still we are not to much people, the rigs are cheap yes , but the parts for fixing the radios are expensive, Im use to buy the supplys from US, but we have to pay for international shippement and the import taxes, so,the people here don't understand sometimes why pay $120 USD (plus taxes) for a new set of 6146's tubes for a viking valiant, if the radio itself dosent cost more than $100 USD!

I can speak for myself and many others on this boards, we'd LOVE the opportunity to do a sked with you sometime! Do you currently have anything up and running on AM, and what are your bands of choice? Also, do you work 75 and 160 meters?

Joe;

I'll be more than happy too!, yes I have some AM equipment ready!!, another Viking Valiant already fixed with the help of this forum, a Collins 32V3, a R390 and some other receivers ,Im on the way to finish a "cloud warmer"  antenna for 80 meters cuting for 3.885 Mhz.

My problem here is the noise! Mexico city is a HUGE city with a lot of electrical and static noise, its almost impossible work 160M, but I have a little weekend house out of the city, there Im installing a "beverage" for 160M, so Im on the way Joe.

I let you know as soon as I finish my antenna for 80 meters! to make an Sked!

73's

Pedro.

TVI WHAT TVI?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 01:36:52 PM »

Pedro,
        Many thanks for the quick reply! If possible, before Springtime QRN sets in and produces 20-60 over 9 noise levels please let me know. Either post something on the board or email me at: n3ibx@verizon.net. I know of about 6-12 other 160M ops that would really enjoy a contact with you ie: K1KW,K1JJ,W2PFY,W3SLK,K2WI,K2ORC,WB3HUZ, etc on the East Coast, and Steve, KL7OF in Washington, and others on the West Coast.

I'm usually on 1885KC or 1930KC. I don't know what the Mexican bandplan is for 160M, but would assume it's most likely similar to what it is in the US. Please let me know what frequency or group of frequencies would be best for you when the time comes.

If you can't get your antenna up by this season, there's always next season. We've had good results here on the East Coast talking to the West Coast, and even being heard in Europe.

We've discovered that the higher you have your antenna the better. Also, a minimum power requirement to work good 160M DX seems to be at least 300 watts or so. The more the better. I believe in "Antennas by Eimac" - hi!

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
xe1yzy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 11:27:05 AM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Pedro,
     The more the better. I believe in "Antennas by Eimac" - hi!

Me too Joe!

Im going to fix my antennas this weekend and hope we have good conditions, 160m ist difficult in Mexico city, for the noise but we give us a try!, I'll be more than happy to make a QSO!!

73's

TVI WHAT TVI?
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 10:03:26 PM »

hi,
    a cloud burner won't help you work back east neighbor!  have a way
to switch it. i have 3 ele vertical array aimed back east, it works some
of the time pretty well

73's deano - wa1knx/7 tucson az

am forever!
xe1yzy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 10:36:02 AM »

Quote from: wa1knx
hi,
    a cloud burner won't help you work back east neighbor!  have a way
to switch it. i have 3 ele vertical array aimed back east, it works some
of the time pretty well

73's deano - wa1knx/7 tucson az

Hi Deano...

Yes, the vertical array works better, but I dont have enough space in my lot, maybe for two verticals only, Im going  to read something about vertical arrays, TNX!

Pedro XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
xe1yzy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »

Hi to all...

Was a rainy weekend in Mexico city, so I decided to start with the restoration of the Valiant, a lot of mods. has been made, so i rip off all the extras and go backwards to the original circuit ( well almost)

Please take a look!

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/xe1yzy/Viking/

Saludos!

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 09:09:57 AM »

Pedro, I'm astounded - you've done what looks to be the impossible in only a few short days.  

I love the picture with the stack of "custom features" removed!  At least now you have a bunch of extra meters for homebrew projects!

Great job.  73 John

xe1yzy

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 11:04:01 AM »

I love the picture with the stack of "custom features" removed!  At least now you have a bunch of extra meters for homebrew projects!

Thanks John

Yes a lot of extra stuff, there is still a long way to finish the valiant, I want to update both P.S. and make the audio mods. its a fun rig to work with, my idea is a finish with a reliable AM exiter.

Have a nice week!

Pedro

TVI WHAT TVI?
WA1HZK

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 11:06:05 AM »

I have torn into a lot of these Johnson BA's and found that the best conversion to Hi-Fi is using an external AF Power Amp and backwards connecting a Hammond Audio output transformer as the Mod Iron and a Hammond choke as the Heising reactor. This stuff fits on the chassis once you remove the OEM modulator. I have tried everything I could with the valiant and if I was going to do it again, that's what I would do. Last wednesday I was at KC2LT's radio shop and watched Chuck, K1KW carefully adjust the Dave's radio for 150-180% positive audio with absolutly smooth response. This really works and is easier then trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear so to speak with the stock iron. I'm sure Dave will give you the part numbers and directions where to get the parts. His e-mail is kc2lt@comcast.net. Actual hook up can be described by most any of us. Give this some serious consideration before you spend a month trying to get the stock iron to sound good.
Keith
WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 12:03:31 PM »

And if you go this route you have the option of leaving everything outboard. Thus, you can leave the internals stock. This will allow you to sell it on eBay in the future as an "unmodified/stock" rig and ask for big bucks. The purists will eat it up!
xe1yzy

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »

Quote from: WA1HZK
Actual hook up can be described by most any of us. Give this some serious consideration before you spend a month trying to get the stock iron to sound good.
Keith
WA1HZK

Keith

I really wants to know about who to hook up an external audio amplifier, can you give some schematics please?

xe1yzy@aol.com

Thanks in advance Keith!

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 12:49:41 PM »

Pedro, I didn't bother with the Heising choke in mine, and I used the stock modulators and modulation transformer.  I removed the modulator driver transformer, replaced it with a 600 ohm to push-pull grids line transformer, and drive that transformer with a Gates broadcast limiter which in turn is driven by an equalizer.  Sounds good to my ears, and is REALLY easy.  Mine will run +125% modulation no problem, even with the stock modulator.  Just load the transmitter for 10% less plate current than is recommended.

KB3AHE does the exact same thing.  It provides headroom for the modulators, keeps the current down on the mod xformer, and allows higher positive modulation peaks.  You can keep the rest of the modulator section stock (just yank out the tubes) if you ever want to go back to the internal mike amp/driver (yuck!)

73 John

xe1yzy

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 12:54:28 PM »

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ
And if you go this route you have the option of leaving everything outboard. Thus, you can leave the internals stock. This will allow you to sell it on eBay in the future as an "unmodified/stock" rig and ask for big bucks. The purists will eat it up!

Ok Steve...

Well, my other valiant is "unmodified/stock", and I really wants to keep it in that way . even if the 866A are not a great performers , looks great when glow isn't?.

The valiant under restoration have a lot of " extra holes ", so I really like to go and find who far can we go with the mods, now Im working in the acuracy of the original meter, im going to ad some adjust controls, for mesure the mA in the grid and plate circuit.

any way, so far so good!

TNX!

Pedro

TVI WHAT TVI?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 03:17:35 PM »

I would recommend driving the  grids of the 6146s with an audio amp vice a line level device. The 6146s are running AB2 and will pull grid current on peaks, thus requiring the driver to produce power. The lower the impedance of the driver the better for dynamic regulation resulting in less distortion on the peaks. A typical solid state audio amp will have an output impedance of less than an Ohm. Line output devices are likely to have an output impedance an order of magnitude or more greater.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »

Are you sayin' I'm DISTORTED, Steve?

Seriously, Steve makes a good point if you're gonna run the Valiant full bore - or even if you're not.  In any case, make sure you use a good quality xformer.

73 John

xe1yzy

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 05:35:50 PM »

.  I removed the modulator driver transformer, replaced it with a 600 ohm to push-pull grids line transformer, and drive that transformer with a Gates broadcast limiter which in turn is driven by an equalizer.  Sounds good to my ears, and is REALLY easy.

Great John!

Really sounds very easy! where I can found the 600 ohms transformer and the Gates broadcast limiter?, or what can I use insted the gates device?. is expensive?

I have a spare audio transformer for my HRO 60, pri 10K sec. 8/600ohms @10 Watts, does he works?

Thanks AMigo

TVI WHAT TVI?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2005, 09:29:32 PM »

I can say with out a doubt YOU are distorted. Otherwise you wouldn't associate with me. Your transmitter is another matter.

Are you sayin' I'm DISTORTED, Steve?

Seriously, Steve makes a good point if you're gonna run the Valiant full bore - or even if you're not.  In any case, make sure you use a good quality xformer.

73 John
xe1yzy

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »

Guys...

Can I coupling the 6146's transformer with this transformer conected backwards?;
 pri. 10K sec. 8/600ohms @10 Watts, its a spare transf. for my HRO 60

:doubt: please show me the light!

TVI WHAT TVI?
WA1HZK

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 07:24:39 PM »

You will need a 100 watt transformer to do it right.
I'm meeting the guy tomorrow who has done it twice. I'll get you the P/N's then.
Keith

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015