The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Would A Ham Op Prepare For A Long Electrical Outage  (Read 15445 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »

I made the mistake of leaving my chainsaw half filed with fuel - Its 40:1 gas oil mix, and I didn't think about the ethanol. The mix turned to syrup over the winter. Had to tear it apart. Now, it's all (the rider mower, weed eater, leaf blower) 'high test'. No Ethanol.

http://pure-gas.org/

Now I can sleep happily in the knowlege my homelight is safe.

klc

Where can I get Platformate?

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »

Nice to know our northern neighbors in New England have ethanol free gasoline.  I never knew that.  I make frequent trips up north during the year.  So I'll carry some containers next time.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »

Keep bartering materials available, preferably those that don't age. .22LR is probably the best for trading as everyone has at least one, it'll provide dinner and is light enough to carry. Personally, I prefer heavier stuff for my own use, but .22LR could become the coin of the realm.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »

Keep bartering materials available, preferably those that don't age. .22LR is probably the best for trading as everyone has at least one, it'll provide dinner and is light enough to carry. Personally, I prefer heavier stuff for my own use, but .22LR could become the coin of the realm.

Huh!!!

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

A gun totn' HAM Huh

Fred KC4MOP
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »

Yes, it's true. I belong to both the ARRL and the NRA. Didn't realize there was an exclusionary rule.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

"  A gun totn' HAM Huh "

HirAMs  old man designed the first practical machine gun. ( the original Gatling was man powered).

Hiram his self designed the Maxim Silencer, an improved method of passing gas.

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »

"How Would A Ham Op Prepare For A Long Electrical Outage?"

Lots of beer and women.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 01:28:57 AM »

To paraphrase Tom Vu, 'first you get the beer, then you get the plitea girls.'

Bankerman know these things?

klc

What? Me worry?
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »

I refer a .22 magnum myself. Much faster bullet, very accurate and looks lovely in its Winchester lever action style. A good shotgun is of value especially for tree trimming when Ariels get overgrown. As for power I have a 20 watt solar panel on the front south of the house charging a 12 volt deep cycle through a charge regulator. I use it to run my no19 wireless set through a vibrator power supply liberated from a 57 Ford radio. It worked so well I have several of them ready to go and run some of my HB stuff on them too. if you have worked me on my 19 set then you have worked me on that. Recently I built a AC supply for the No 19 but haven't used it on air other then a quick test. I keep a crank Grundig always that has shortwave and a digital shortwave multiband portable. My regens run on batteries anyway so they are always ready for no power conditions. The Tube ones will run for almost 6 months on 10 9 volts snapped together and the heater battery can be recharged by the solar panel or I can plug into that battery feed. by switching to 12sl7 from a 6sl7 it simplified powering choices. Keep the BBQ tank full and lots of wieners and bean around. We were without once for almost three days and it wasn't a real bad deal, just a bit cool however I made some easy solar panels and have them in the windows for heat so we could get up to temp during the day and coast through the night if there was sun. We were down to sleeping with our coats on though when the power returned as it had been cloudy.

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »

Nothing at all against guns...more responsible people should have them and learn how to accurately use them. Make the FIRST shot count!!
As for the solar part of this thread. I have done some interesting research on solar panels and 6V golf cart batteries (200AH!!), charge controllers(monitors charging the batts), and true sine wave inverters.. I am not interested in selling electric back on the grid. I would think a 2500watt power source can keep essential things running. A 24 volt battery system is sensible. 12 volts is a killer for amps!!! Gotta think of wire size for this stuff.
A simple gasoline/diesel generator to power a charger for the times that there are extended period of clouds to recharge the solar system batteries. It would take constant monitoring and management to extend whatever power we have available from the system.
It seems like it is big dollars. I am not going down the road of keeping huge reserves of gasoline or diesel on hand or hope that the local gas station has power to pump what is left in their tanks.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1ADR
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »

From a time when the GN-58 was Our Plan B.

* Antrac 004.jpg (64.22 KB, 381x592 - viewed 291 times.)

Experimental Sciences does not receive Truth from Superior Sciences, She is the Mistress and the other Sciences are Her Servants.
                                     Roger Bacon, Opus Tertium
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »

It seems like it is big dollars.

Perhaps it is getting too fancy or complicated. Battery was around $100. Charge controller was $18. Solar panel was $149. Have had it for about 10 years. Gasoline charger for periods of no sun? Mine has 4 wheels and a horn and is more then capable of charging my battery or batteries in a reasonably short time. I use my system to run my Vintage and AM shack almost all the time. Don't recall being unable to operate.
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 02:55:26 AM »

It seems like it is big dollars.

Perhaps it is getting too fancy or complicated. Battery was around $100. Charge controller was $18. Solar panel was $149. Have had it for about 10 years. Gasoline charger for periods of no sun? Mine has 4 wheels and a horn and is more then capable of charging my battery or batteries in a reasonably short time. I use my system to run my Vintage and AM shack almost all the time. Don't recall being unable to operate.
don

I have a nice 250W panel but it is 36V or so. What I would like is what's called a MPPT charge controller.

It loads the panel for the most watts available regardless of illumination, and provides a regulated charge voltage.

In my case 13.65V would be best for floating AGM batteries infinitely. It would likely not be $18 but certainly ought be <$100.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015