The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:11:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ-129X Restoration  (Read 5119 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: May 03, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »

In-between doing up the BC-779/SP-200 I worked on an old HQ-129X that I had picked up as-is a few years back. The front panel was worn through in a number of places, but it worked FB. It had been recapped by a previous owner, and someone had taken a can opener to the top of the can on the right side (looking at it) but it worked anyhow. I then acquired a new front panel from Dennis WTFO, who mentioned it when I was talking to him about some parts for the other Hammer Land project. Thanks Dennis!!

The panel came in ok, fb. But it looked like it was a single coat of grey paint and then silk screened. I wanted to avoid the "rub out" that had happened over time on the original panel. So I experimented with a few different spray cans of satin clear. Most s****d for this use. Finally lowly Krylon was tested, and it came out flat, smooth and with a nice satin result. A coat of wax would bring it up some, but I did not do it (yet, anyhow).

I sprayed the bezel after stripping it, with a semi-gloss black, I think it was semi-gloss. Not the wrinkle that was stock. Looks nice though, not perfect but nice.

Also re-did the knobs. These get cleaned first with Mean Green, then buffed with a small cotton wheel + white compound. Then the white stripes get carefully scraped clean and white acrylic paint is applied double coat, dry between coats. then the stripe is buffed with "Color Back" car polish to clean up the edges. This photo is before I re-did the knobs, they "pop" much more now. Also took the dopey "pillow" shaped tuning knobs off and put the fluted knobs that are also on the SP-100/200/400 series. All buffed up nicely.

One could use an off white, if you want to get a "vintage" look. I went for the bright white.
The acrylic stuff comes in formulations that dry flat or dries glossy. This one is fairly flat looking. Nice, looks like new knobs!

Hope you like the look!

Only thing left now is to strip and repaint the cabinet (looking for a good grey wrinkle paint anyone?). Don't want to have to deal with imperfections that might show up with standard paint - wrinkle hides stuff. Cheesy

* HQ-129X-FRONT-PANEL-1.jpg (788.63 KB, 1480x1110 - viewed 427 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

Looks sharp. The 129 was the first amateur radio grade receiver I owned. Wish I still has it.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

Hey thanks much Steve!

Can't wait to get it back into the cabinet, it will look really sharp... came out much nicer than I had hoped.
Wish I was done with the BC-779 already and could show that off... a whole ton more work there.
And, I just got me an SP-600 JX-6 that needs "the treatment" too.
Then there is the SX-28A to go through and give "the treatment". Cheesy

This is a terrible hobby...
...why do I have  "jones" for these receivers??

But seriously, seriously now, after this I am done with this receiver thing. Really. I am. Really.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »

VHT now makes grey wrinkle almost the exact original color.  I buy mine thru Amazon for less than $8 per can last time.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k3msb

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:59:48 AM »

Hi Bear

Looks great!  I've had an HQ-129X for many years and it's a nice receiver. I haven't recapped it yet so I've tended to use it sparingly over the past few years as I don't want to push my luck.

Interesting about using the Krylon spray. Did you have to do anything special to get an even finish?   

I'm currently working on an HQ-120-X.  It's turned into quite a project as I've had to replace almost every part (Resistors and capacitors) under the chassis.  I have two scratches on the front that I was going to fix using lacquer sticks, after which I was going to buff with wax.  The spray is an interesting alternative.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
WBear2GCR

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »

Mark,

They are changing formulations for these spray can paints like an XYL changes clothes! DOH! That's unfair and not true at all... So, one needs to try the stupid cans. PART of the issue is that unless the stuff under a given coat is completely and dry through and through you can get undesirable effects. That includes paint you think is dry.

In this case the panel had been made a longish time back, so I was not terribly worried. And, this is/was a completely new front panel, not an old panel. So, the paint on the front was new and as perfect as it is going to get, and clean. Even so, I shot the back of the panel a little just to test compatibility.

This particular can of spray paint did produce a very even and smooth result, no problems, no runs. I shot it flat on its back and on too cool a day. The temp counts with these spray paints. Usually I like to shoot on a hot day, with the piece warmed up in advance. But, as with all this, technique varies and results vary with technique. So, a lot of testing is a good idea, since screwing up one front panel is a royal PIA. Things like xfmrs, not so much.

I'd be concerned about the lacquer stick interacting.

Best to try the lacquer stick on some other panel/metal surface and see if you get an interaction.
Dunno if they like baking. But if that helps to dry and set it, then a good idea.

I only shot the satin as a surface coat to protect the silk screened letters from premature wear.
On an engraved panel, of course, I'd likely not shoot clearcoat.

Not sure if I cleared anything up or not?

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »

That -129X front panel view looks excellent Bear; the best restoration I've seen.  (Hiram would be proud of you.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WBear2GCR

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »

Tom, thanks much. But please keep in mind this is a new repro front panel via Dennis W7TFO. That makes it
much easier to make it look good. The old panel was so beat as to be useless.

_-_-

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »

I found another panel for sale on eBay....20 some hours left.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »

The HQ 129X is my boat anchor station receiver. Just thought I'd pass along that a guy in Oviedo, FL sells digital frequency meters for them. Even one that fits where the the clock is in newer models.Very simple, non-invasive installation.He also has models for Drake, Hallicrafters, Collins. See: http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/dd101hu.html.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015