The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390/R390A SSB Adapter  (Read 3323 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »

Hello
Does anyone have any specs on a SSB adapter that was usually seen and sold in the ER magazines? It's in a black box with the wording of the title of this thread. It selects OFF-AM-LSB-USB. I.F. input and audio out.
I would like to know what the audio specs were for AM operation. And the power source and polarity. Nothing marked on the case of the unit, not even a manufacturer.
The PCB is nice professional construction using the Motorola 1496 chip.
Here are some pictures.

Thanks
Fred

* SSB Adapt.jpg (1430.1 KB, 3240x2430 - viewed 522 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
Les Locklear

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »

Hello
Does anyone have any specs on a SSB adapter that was usually seen and sold in the ER magazines? It's in a black box with the wording of the title of this thread. It selects OFF-AM-LSB-USB. I.F. input and audio out.
I would like to know what the audio specs were for AM operation. And the power source and polarity. Nothing marked on the case of the unit, not even a manufacturer.
The PCB is nice professional construction using the Motorola 1496 chip.
Here are some pictures.

Thanks
Fred

Fred,

That was the PD-1 the first generation of product detectors manufactured by Ron Hankins of Electronic Specialty Products. Here is the website:  http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/

I had one of them several years ago, it worked just fine, but an external amplifier was needed, as the audio was line output.

The present version is designated the PD-2 and looks slightly different. It works fabulously. I'm presently using mine with an SP-600. It has a couple of trimmer caps inside to adjust for the various voltages found in IF outputs and one for the audio output to compensate for whatever device you might be using.

I have the audio out on mine connected to a Timewave DSP 599ZX for additional filtering, plus the Timewave has an audio amplifier. I have also used it with a TMC GPR-90. You can order it with different IF frequencies too, such as the 51J series with the 500 kc IF.

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »

Thanks for the info.
I sent them an email asking for the polarity and voltage of the wall wart. 9 or 12 vdc??
Polarity looks like the little center post sticking out for the PS plug is positive voltage. Connects through a 100 ohm resistor to the selector switch.

My memory is dim on the audio quality for AM. I'm going to make a dumb statement that the audio was not impressive. I'm banking on the product detector is supposed to be a superior way to demodulate the RF envelope. Thinking that it might reduce the selective fading distortion. The SDR software I have Flex and SDR-Console have terrible SAM ( synchronous detector function).
I do not have $1,995.00 for a hard-to-find Sherwood SE3....ePay!!!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »

Hello Everyone
Continuing with my 'blog' about the PD-1 SSB adapter.
First my apology to Ron Hankins of Electronic Specialty.
I fired my PD-1 up with the proper polarity PS @ 9vdc and the audio is very nice. The higher audio frequencies are attenuated a little compared to the diode load out on my R390A, in the 8kc position. By switching the B/W to 16kc the PD-1 is becoming my friend. The overall audio is less distorted from selective fading than from the Diode Load output.
I am not trying to obtain a faux FM sound. I like the pleasant sounds of a fully modulated AM transmitter.
I did some research and wiki says that the diode detector in a typical AM receiver will give better fidelity.
Just my $ .07 worth

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015