The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Wonderland (again) over here  (Read 7574 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: March 05, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »

On the Western side of the Appalachians. -- And coming your way over in the DC area.
Flooding, rained all day y'day; snowed all night and to continue snowing all day today. An inch of frozen something on all my wires.

13 deg. F. This AM.
Calling for 8 below zero tonight. There'll be snapping and crackling power lines tonight to add to the general mayhem of today's outages. Lost my power for six hours yesterday.

Oh well, could be worse. Could be Boston.

* image.jpg (139.79 KB, 720x720 - viewed 358 times.)

* image.jpg (260.69 KB, 960x720 - viewed 354 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »

Rick,

The pictures look great, other than that nasty ice!  We had a major issue issue last year up this way.  Many folks were without power for a week or so.  The ice loading brought down many trees.  It took a good 6 months to get things cleaned up since all the tree people were swamped with work. 

Hope you don't loose power again.  Do you have a back-up generator? 

I think today, they are calling for another 6 to 8 inches of snow up this way. 

Joe - GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »

Stupid groundhog.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »

All rain here so far. I think the cold front was just north of us. Originally, the weather guessers said up to 8 inches. Looks like we'll get zero.
n1exi

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »

rain - freezing rain then snow - bought thermal bodywear a few weeks ago - best buy for me this winter - about 4 inches here - still more to go - beach in reach but have to wait a while to see some bikinis
greg - n1exi
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »

Funny 'bout that groundhog. We'd just come out of a major storm and a couple of sun's rays broke through raggedly between heavy overcast that morning all along the broad front here and up through Punxy.

Three seconds after "casting" a shadow through a raffle of drunks and Kleig lights the storm came rolling back in. The fix was in.  Grin

Joe, no gen. (Yet) but am considering getting something to at least keep the furnace motor and controls running, maybe a TV and refrig. Too. Can alternate fridge with microwave, heh, heh.  Some of the neighbors have perm. gen sets anticipating our further slide into the third world and wx conditions reverting to the more normal of the 1950's thru '70's.

Today's SUV, hVAC  hot house tomato crowd have no idea why New England homes had nested sets of sheds and barns trailing behind the house, such houses built in hollows instead of "look at me" locations as far up hill as stilts allow.  Grin. Good for radio, but bad for wx. Well, true hams had shacks on the hill and lived further down, doncha know.

Say did'ja see the Delta plane which slid to end of runway today?  "Just plowed" and "another plane just landed ok" don't anticipate sudden cooling and icing brought about by the freshly plowed snow exposing wet surface now exposed to suffer freezing aided by blowing air of landing planes, among other things.  --Um, winter.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »

The storm passed here through Dallas last night between 7pm-3am. 1/2" freezing rain, 1" sleet and 4" snow. Today we have bright sun and 37F. Texas winter in March.  Huh

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »

The storm went through here earlier this week. The picanic table in the photo was cleared 2 weeks ago so I could BBQ some deer chops.

* 2 week's worth.jpg (1948.1 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 375 times.)
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »

Heavy, wet snow here 10 miles SW of DC, but we are keeping ahead of it.  I enjoy the snow so it's nice to be outdoors in it.

A ham friend in the Dallas, TX area says they have 7 inches where he lives.
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »

Eight inches of snow on top of 1.5" of slush/ice in western NJ.  4-Land is looking better all the time!

Jack
WA2OLZ
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »

Better consider Mexico after looking at Chatanooga lately.
AlGore pushing Beach front property on Hudson's Bay is sooo last election cycle.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »

My sisters on the South Shore, South of Boston, have been sending me Winter Wonderland pictures for the last month. They are sick of it, one sister's husband works in Cambridge he rides the T, train into Boston and subway. He has missed a lot of work because the T has been out of service so much because they can't clear the snow. My other sister's daughters kids are at last count 8 snow days for the year, they love it until they realize school well into June.

Here in California, sunny and in the 70's mid day and the Fourth year of serious drought. Last year January 2104 was the driest of record, this January beat that.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »

Jersey guys know how to get to places in the snow:

* dog-in-snow1.jpg (112.87 KB, 587x360 - viewed 341 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:57:58 AM »

We in Boston were thankfully spared this time around.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »

It's probably done with here. Was a nice Winter for Dallas. Now the slow rain and fog time. Went out in a T shirt and shorts to feed the outdoor kitty, was very pleasant. So was the weather.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015