The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off the air  (Read 5469 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: February 14, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »

50+ over S9 line noise here, so I guess I'm off the air on 160-80-40 until the power company shows. 
I have located the offending poles.  Maybe that will speed things up, but I am still looking at 2-3 weeks if I'm real lucky.
They came and replaced a noisy night watch light next door and I had very little noise for about 2 days and then all heck broke loose.
eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »

It seems to be from the lack of warm WX and rain to clean the insulators. VERY VERY noisy around here too, lately. I have a comin' and goin' noise of 10 over on 160M. My MFJ deluxe noise canceler does magical things. I hear the weak ones once again, thanks to that box.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »

I have located a pole about 150 yards from my antenna with what appears to be an arcing insulator. It was intermittent last year but is almost continuous now.

It really tears up 40 to 20m.

It is not our power company's lines since all of our lines run underground.

Here is the second letter I sent the company last night:

Some time ago I sent you a message regarding interference coming from a potential insulator arcing on pole A0792578 on 29th Ave in Marion. I had identified this interference using interference detection equipment described in a previous message.

This arcing is causing interference to an authorized FCC licensed station.

The FCC defines harmful interference as, “…a form of interference which seriously degrades, obstructs, or repeatedly interrupts a radio communication service operating in accordance with the Radio Regulations.”

Another FCC rule says that operation of any unlicensed device, including an incidental radiator,  may not cause harmful interference to an authorized radio service.

According to http://www.commlawblog.com/tags/incidental-radiators/, “We also think the electric utilities, due to the ubiquity of their lines, have a special responsibility to control interference arising from their installations.”

Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting XX Energy.

I have issued the order to have a crew check on the interference. They will be out sometime today, I just can’t give you an exact time.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact XX Energy.  Our goal is to connect with our customers and we appreciate this chance to assist you.

Christina
Customer Service Representative
XX Energy

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

When a power company sends a form letter in response to a second complaint all I can say is good luck, it's only one step up from being ignored. How good are you with a sniper rifle?

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »

"company sends a form letter in response .. "

Or the lowest paid empl  answers the mail.

klc

What? Me worry?
KD0HUX

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »

When a power company sends a form letter in response to a second complaint all I can say is good luck, it's only one step up from being ignored. How good are you with a sniper rifle?
  Lips sealed Sniper riffle Lips sealed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015