The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Culprit was Adobe Flash!  (Read 40004 times)
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« on: February 08, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »

Late last year I asked if others were noticing the forums running v-e-r-y slowly. A mixed bag of responses ranging from "no issue here, it's super fast" to "I think the forum engine is running at 33 Baud" came back.

There is one other website (www.nj.com) that has been so slow as to be unusable.

On a hunch, I deleted Adobe Flash from my computers. Voila - AMfone and the other website run just fine now! I get (and ignore) the notices on the other site that I need the Flash player to see certain content. My new rule is: If it needs Flash, I don't need it.

Adobe has always been one of my my least-favored software suppliers as they are intrusive, slow, annoying and think they rule the roost. Flash has lost it's place on my systems and the rest of their intrusion-ware will soon follow!

Jack

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

Jack, take a look at Java.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »

Adobe Flash runs when you activate your Firefox browser. You can go to Tools > Add-ons and set your preference for Flash: Ask to Activate; Always Activate; Never Activate

My stuff is set to "Ask to Activate" if I come across a web site that uses it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »

Thanks, Pete - I just deleted all of those evil electrons from my computers.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »

Well, I'm not sure they're that evil.
Firefox is not the most efficient browser.
Firefox typically eats up about 1.5% to 2% of CPU and about 140 MB of memory.
Flash utilizes 0% CPU and about 5 MB of memory.
Firefox is great browser but eats up lots of resources. If your CPU and memory aren't up to the task things can get slow.

W4EWH

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »

Late last year I asked if others were noticing the forums running v-e-r-y slowly. A mixed bag of responses ranging from "no issue here, it's super fast" to "I think the forum engine is running at 33 Baud" came back.

Thanks for the heads-up: I've noticed a very big drop in speed after I allowed Adobe flash to install. I think I'm going to have to erase my hard drive and re-install Windoze to get something like the original performance back.

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up: I've noticed a very big drop in speed after I allowed Adobe flash to install. I think I'm going to have to erase my hard drive and re-install Windoze to get something like the original performance back.

W1AC

Go to your browser and deactivate it and use it only when the browser tells you you need it use it to view all web content.

"erase my hard drive and re-install Windoze to get something like the original performance back."
Haven't had to do that since the XP days.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015