The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Radio Shack Survive 2014?  (Read 40020 times)
WQ9E

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

I think a lot of the franchise locations have closed over the years and the company took over other locations from the franchisee.  I expect the franchise locations were the first to go under as the company's fortunes took a turn for the worse years ago.

I didn't hear you on the net this morning.  Hope all of the rigs are OK!

Rodger WQ9E
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »

Here in my town we had an RS open up about 2 maybe 3 years ago. It was a franchise.  It didn't last long. It closed about 6 or 7 months ago.  Didn't have anything worth a damn.  It was in a poor location and signage was non-existent. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »

Stores closing aren't just at Radio Shack:

Reported 3/10/14: "As part of a plan to cut costs by $500 million, Staples says it plans to close up to 225 North American stores by the end of 2015. But on Staples.com, where sales are up despite a drop in the retailer's total sales, the company increased its selection to 500,000 products as of the end of 2013, up from 100,000 a year earlier."

A future in retail sales isn't what it use to be.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »

" A future in retail sales isn't what it use to be. "

Well, I have to dress up and go to WallyMart now. On top of that, they have this thing called 'self check out'. So not only do we buy our stuff from China, we check ourselves out (kill that job) and go our merry way.

Except when I buy beer. So, the check out person runs over, and cant figure out my selective service card. No picture. So after a while, I find my drivers licence. Does she thank me for helping to save her job? No! Yo soy malo.  So, then I go on my merry way.

klc

What? Me worry?
WQ9E

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »

Stores closing aren't just at Radio Shack:

A future in retail sales isn't what it use to be.

Even before the growth on online the U.S. was severely "over-stored" and that just became much worse with increasing online sales.  It doesn't mean every category of retailing is equally over-stored so we have to be careful using some global statistic to explain every retail contraction and/or failure.

Today I tried to kill 2 hours in a mall in Champaign, IL while waiting for my dog to be spayed at the University of IL and I bought a new pair of deck shoes and that was the extent of finding any "guy stuff" there.  There were lots of stores with a tremendous amount of duplication and most of the activity consisted of elderly mall walkers and a few folks at the food court.  That last bastion of "guydom" at the mall, Sears, apparently had closed down many months ago although all of the mall directories indicated they were still there.  I ended up leaving and going to Menards but lengthy shopping even there wasn't fun although I finally remembered to get some finishing washers that I need for a couple of projects.  It was a long day but Cheyenne came through surgery fine so today was a good day.

I used to teach the retail management course at Illinois State U early in my career but that was because I was the only marketing prof with any retail background ( a couple of years at ComputerLand).  Even then I hated seeing students headed for corporate retail management because the long term prospects for most were poor. 

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »

Meanwhile McDonalds continues to build new stores.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »

"There were lots of stores with a tremendous amount of duplication and most of the activity consisted of elderly mall walkers and a few folks at the food court."

I have wondered for years how some of those useless clothing and trinket mall stores break even, never mind make a profit.  Their prices are usually inflated and most nights there's nobody there.  Imagine carrying a top dollar $$ lease, employee salaries, insurance, stocking merchandise and then trying to make a profit. And most are franchi$e$. The store "owners" had to front $100K++ to use the name.   Insane.  How these stores survive is beyond me.

There was a toy store here in town that made a go of it for two years.   Same deal. Nobody ever went in there and they carried a lot of board games, stuffed animals and green puke. I thought maybe it was a front for a cat house. But alas, it's dark now.  The poor bastards finally threw in the towel. So predictable.

Unless a store has the potential to rock all day like a MacDonalds or Walmart, why waste time and money starting it?  Service businesses rock too. The yuppies don't want to get their hands dirty and will pay up the a$$ for hard-core services.  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »

As it turns out Radio Shack did survive 2014, but filed bankruptcy Chapter 11 today, February 5, 2015.

Share price - 10 cents.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »

Really?
KC4VWU

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »

The old running joke was a catch phrase we came up with over 20 years ago when scrambling for last minute parts sourcing.

"Tandy is handy."

Now, with the only other parts store in town eradicating it's small parts sales beginning the first of this year, it looks like either ordering online for the simplest of things or waiting for the first available hamfest to keep the bins stocked up.

Guess now I'll have to actually hunt for the stuff that I know is here instead of giving up and just making a trip to the Rat shack!

Phil

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »

The fact that they filed bankruptcy (which they said a month ago that they would probably do in February) doesn't necessarily mean they're disappearing off the face of the earth. It just might be harder to find one of their retail stores nearby your location.

KY4SP

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »

15 years ago there were 5 stores within about 40 miles of me. Last month there were 3, and last week one. Monday, in the remaining one (35 miles away), I made the off hand comment that I was shopping while they were still open. The reply- "we aren't closing..." was stated with conviction in spite of the fact that there was much obviously empty shelf space. Today, there are signs saying "25% off storewide" and more than half of the shelves are bare, with most stock left being batteries, cellphone cases and various cords. I expect they will close before the end of February.   
W3LSN

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 09:34:43 PM »

" was stated with conviction in spite of....

I had the very same experience with the clerk in our local store about a month ago.  I was the only customer in there.  He seemed very defensive, almost offended, when I made the "while you're still here" comment.  

So it seems that the plan, if the BK trustee approves, is to be co-branding of Radio Shack-Sprint locations for something less than half the stores.  That seems like a win-win for both parties. However, Radio Shack, even in some reduced form, is basically over and will probably end up as a few rows of batteries, chargers, and patch cords.

A statement from Sprint tonight:

"Under the terms of the new agreement, Sprint would effectively operate a store within a RadioShack store, occupying approximately one third of the retail space of each location. Sprint employees will sell mobile devices and plans on all Sprint brands including Boost and Virgin Mobile. The stores will be co-branded with Sprint being the primary brand on storefronts and in marketing materials"

Jim
WA2AJM/3
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:47 AM »

When Lafayette went through its final bankruptcy proceedings, five stores remained open. They were renamed Lafayette Circuit City.  Circuit City was trying to capitalize on the name as it tried to enter the local market area of each remaining store. As indicated, Sprint will be doing the same thing. As far as your local parts store in the future, I think it will a thing of the past. There's no real great profit margins at the retail level in selling resistors, capacitors, LED lights, etc. I also suspect that any products you see in these future stores probably will not a Radio Shack brand stamped on them. The online marketplace gathers more traction with each passing year for all your electronic commodity items.

N4zed

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 04:36:19 AM »

As of yesterday I still have two RS stores within 15 miles. Thankfully I also have a Fry's store about 15 miles away as well. Fry's has a good assortment of "stuff".

Ken
N4zed

Ken<br />N4zed
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »

Today bought a 250W PA amplifier from RS. Signs said  closing, everything must go, and 20-50% off everything.

Stores usually stock just one of these.
Despite the good fidelity, average consumers do not understand it is a basic hi-fi stereo amp.
I have heard these before as PA for vocals in small bands and as a simple hi-fi amp and they sounded fine to me.
250W RMS, I believe 125 per CH into 8 Ohms 20-20K according to the box label.
Has a fan on the back, several XLR mike inputs and line, in out etc.. 
It is heavy enough for 250W, and has a 7A line fuse. Rackmount.
Being a PA amp it is probably better made than a consumer stereo/5 ch amp.

Note on the receipt it said:

3200028            $131.27
RADIOSHACK 250W PA AMPLIFIER
30% off Phase C     ($39.38)
Net Price                $91.89
-------
Subtotal   $91.89
Tax          $7.58
Total       $99.47

OK so they are in "Phase C".
Phase C. What happens in Phase D? Lower prices? Don't be greedy!
At some point the inventory has to go to a warehouse and likely be sold at auction. I wonder what Phase that is.

This is not a RS advertisement but just a report - I like these amps and my point is this is a whole lot of amplifier for $100 and the time is now to pick one up if anyone wants one. This said they are sometimes on ebay for less, but who knows where they have been, at some booming rapper or dubstep DJ's mercy.. heh.

* 3200028-250w amp.jpg (141.02 KB, 1307x781 - viewed 520 times.)

* 03200028_250w ampc.jpg (50.86 KB, 743x500 - viewed 506 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015