The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:40:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for advice, comments on first homebrew rig  (Read 5316 times)
Matthew
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »

Hello and tnx to all that I have worked the first three weeks of my great AM expierence on the bands. I would like to just dig in and build my first transmitter, I found one on the web k1etp 5 watter that i can run with my 811h amp. wonder if anyone else has built one like this? Or should I look at some other transmitter for the first one? All suggestions and advice will be most appriciative. cu on 40,80,160. Matthew KR4WI
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 02:39:38 PM »

Quote from: Matthew
I would like to just dig in and build my first transmitter, I found one on the web k1etp 5 watter that i can run with my 811h amp. wonder if anyone else has built one like this? Matthew KR4WI

Hi Matthew,

Rich's 6AQ5 transmitter is the perfect rig as a first hi-fi AM TX project!

Many guys have started with that rig or similar pisweaker designs and have gone on to build 813'sX 813's and class E rigs, etc.  I have done the same here.

That rig sounds great, will drive a linear as you intend and you will learn a lot to build the confidence and skills you need without getting banged too hard with HV if you slip up. [Though 500V can still kill you].

Once built, learn about testing it using an audio generator and scope. Look at the "East Coast Sound" section of this site for articles by many of us on this subject.

By building rather than buying, you are giving yourself a robust head start in AM due to learning and conversing with some technically oriented new friends you might not meet otherwise.  What I mean by this is that you can have all the big transmitters in the world, but if you are not motivated to get on and talk with your buddies, what good is it all?  Building creates enhanced comradery amongst hams that leads to long lasting friendships and lots of fun.

Good Luck and 73,
Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 04:28:26 PM »

Matthew--

The cakepan rig is a simple and effective little radio.  I drive a GG linear with mine and get about 175 w. out.  A couple of people have built the transmitter with good results.  A good number of the parts can be scavenged from an old tube audio amp.  Let me know if I can help.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015