The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:57:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack closure date  (Read 47184 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »

C

klc

What? Me worry?
N1BCG

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »

For those with a bit of nostagia for RS or just a curiosity how the product offerings have changed through the years, take a look at this site that offers almost every catalog from 1940 to their last in 2003. Each one can be browsed using your mouse to virtually "flip" pages:

http://radioshackcatalogs.com

Select the "General Catalogs" button on the top menu then choose the desired catalog below.

Gotta love the changing styles of advertising, outfits, and hairstyles through the years! Anyone have copies of 1946, 1947, or 1948? Those are the only ones missing.
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »

According to Fox Business, 1,784 stores will be closing.  They have a 14 page list of the stores.  Merchandise in those stores will be sold at up to 50% discount.  Standard General, a hedge fund, owns General Wireless / Sprint who will take over up to 1,750 of the stores and co-operate as Sprint and Radio Shack.  Web Site: foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/02/09/these-radioshack-stores-are-closing/
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »

I stopped in a local Radio Shack this past Sunday and everything there was being sold at up to 80% off and I still didn't find anything there that would make me part with my coins. I then went to Harbor Freight and they took some of my coins.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »

Re the list of store closures, three of the stores in the area are apparently staying open, at least for now, one in Waterford CT in a mall, and the one in Westerly RI, which seems to do a high volume, and the one in Groton, CT.  Drove by the Westerly store late last night because they had a big sign in the window.  I figured it might be about a big clearance sale or the bankruptcy, but oddly enough it said that Radio Shack was hiring.  The store inventory looked pretty normal.

The Groton store is located right next door to a great BBQ joint, Chester's BBQ.   Always smells great in that Rat Shack!  

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2015, 08:25:24 AM »

Goodbye Radio Shack

This is pretty funny:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCioWz7aps&feature=youtu.be

However, be aware there's some borderline language.

I haven't been in a Radio Shack store in decades.  But, I did help open store #57 in Western New York in 1963 or so.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

I happened to go by our local Radio Shack store yesterday and the store is completely cleared out.  This store was in the second tier category.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
wa2pjp

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »

A couple of Shacks by me are closing on the 31st of this month, so I went in to see what kind of deal I could get and found the parts draws were being sold off for $100.00 each. These are the gray 7 draw cabinets that you see in the back with all the little components in them. I thought they make great storage for parts for the shack and I bought 4 of them. They are made very well with heavy slides on the draws and just make a great way to store all those little parts. If your looking for a nice set of storage cabinet for small parts....these are great.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »

Several stores here in Bergen County (NJ) are open and doing business as if nothing was wrong. Store person told me that all stores will not be closing. Those that remain open will integrate with Sprint. I hit the local store in Newark, near my office, and purchased $161 worth of merchandise for $11.88. They had the largest, most expensive TV antennas on sale for $9. The last day was $5 a bag!
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »

I stopped into the Clifton Park store in upstate NY for some pigtailed pilot lamps. The store looked normal with no fire sale going on. The manager said they will be staying open in some way shape or form. I was happy for them. The manager has been there a long time and is very helpful to his customers and even knows what he's talking about.

Steve
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »

I wonder if these are the franchise stores.  Supposedly, %20 of RatShaft stores are  privately owned.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »

The Radio Shack store in Clinton, NJ is down to bare walls. I bought a few audio cables and stuff yesterday for a penny on the dollar.  The girl working there was looking forward to going on unemployment (it is NJ, after all) and said it was a company store. I did buy a couple of bookcase type shelves they used for display. They wanted $25 each and when I bought one she begged me to take the other for free 'cause she wanted it to get out of there!

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015