The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:15:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack closure date  (Read 47186 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »

So,  heard through the grapevine the 25th of February is last day for retail stores to be open.

End of an era?......   Anyone else heard?
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »

End of an era?? I remember my father taking me to what I think was the original Radio Shack in downtown Boston when I was a kid. A neat place, Pyrex antenna insulators, antennas and cable for amateur radio, SWL and TV.
AF5J

Such is Life

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

I think i built more Radio Shack/Realistic/Science Fair kits than any other. About 4 of the 4 band globe patrols. Like this one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-Patrol-Shortwave-receiver-Science-Fair-Kit-Radio-Shack-Unbuilt-/231456124048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e3dc2c90

They were 19.99 if i remember. I think the little 3 transistor P-box shortwave regen was always fun to play with. Just have to be careful with that air coil flopping about. I knew nothing of coil forms back then.
We have a store here in Whitney that use to be a radio shack but long since dropped the radio shack name.
I think what they do now is a lot of office supplies but the back half of the store is still stocked like a radio shack store but the daughter who runs the store now uses other sources for electronic parts. 

Such is Life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:56:14 PM »

It's actually a very complicated situation. They're being squeezed by at least two hedge fund investors, one of which wouldn't permit Radio Shack from doing what it wanted to do last year (closing at least 1000 stores). If they can convince the court to file Chapter 11 (United States Bankruptcy Code), which permits reorganization under the bankruptcy laws of the United States, they might have a chance to survive in the future. With all the remaining retail and warehouse assets at filing, there needs to be a plan and avenue to sell them off to pay the investors and other creditors. Radio Shack stock closed at .27 cents today (up .02 cents).
RadioShack Corporation has retail stores in the United States, as well as parts of Europe, South America and Africa.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3LSN

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »

They're not legally bankrupt yet, but likely will be within days.  They're said to be preparing a Chapter-11 (reorganization) filing.  The RS hedge fund investors have refused to let them shut more than 200 stores per year, but I did read that RS is planning to sell off a number of stores to Sprint. What closes or changes hands will be up to the bankruptcy trustee. We'll likely know by the second week of Feb.

Jim
WA2AJM/3
W6WAC

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »

I think i built more Radio Shack/Realistic/Science Fair kits than any other. About 4 of the 4 band globe patrols. Like this one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-Patrol-Shortwave-receiver-Science-Fair-Kit-Radio-Shack-Unbuilt-/231456124048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e3dc2c90

They were 19.99 if i remember. I think the little 3 transistor P-box shortwave regen was always fun to play with. Just have to be careful with that air coil flopping about. I knew nothing of coil forms back then.
We have a store here in Whitney that use to be a radio shack but long since dropped the radio shack name.
I think what they do now is a lot of office supplies but the back half of the store is still stocked like a radio shack store but the daughter who runs the store now uses other sources for electronic parts. 

I got one of those Globe Patrol's...somewhere, buried amongst my stuff.  It was either Xmas 73 or 74 that I got it.
Scott
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »

It's always an interesting set of circumstances when a company over 90 years old finally closes its doors.  I have always done business there and would miss them.

If they do indeed finally close, do we blame it on trying to sell buggy whips in the era of automobiles - poor foresight and marketing and leaders -  retail vs: internet sales - or is it because of their mega overhead comprised of fat cats, Taj Mahals and expenses that have gone way past the ability to support itself?

Losing over $ 1/4 Billion last year must hurt.   Stock at 27 cents and about to be delisted by the exchange ...

Sad as it is, sometimes it's best to let the obsolete and inefficient die or become absorbed by others so that the resources and people can again be employed for a leaner, meaner operation.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:08:11 AM »

Not to be a vulture but perhaps a good time to check for what is on clearance at a local store?

BTW their stereo 250W PA amp is on sale for $131. I recall looking at the brochure at one time and it is way more than adequate as a class B grids driver or small modulation amp. I'd thought of one for use as a PC speaker amp since I have some old KLH speakers for that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »

I used to have one of their 100 watt PA amps a long time ago because it had a mic input!
In testing, the 100 watt amp did 70 watts at clipping, the SAE amp I had did 150 watts, both were 100 watt amps.....

Still, I should go lean my local one out of any useful stuff, I just got circuit board for my screen modulator there.

At some future date, you will see everything on ebay....

Not to be a vulture but perhaps a good time to check for what is on clearance at a local store?

BTW their stereo 250W PA amp is on sale for $131. I recall looking at the brochure at one time and it is way more than adequate as a class B grids driver or small modulation amp. I'd thought of one for use as a PC speaker amp since I have some old KLH speakers for that.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »

Spoke to the RS owner this morning about the bankruptcy and am a bit disheartened, they are have a franchise and will be impacted terribly.  The owner said that they will seek other supplies for most of the equipment and electronic supplies they sell but probably won't find a place to purchase all of them.  I am betting the drawers of parts will disappear from most of them due to the intensity of labor involved to maintain stock.

For this local store the big impact will be the loss of the cell business.  That is what is making them money because they lost their contract with AT&T recently when AT&T opened a corporate store just 25 miles away.  Through RS they had other options but with bankruptcy that will go away leaving them as an electronics parts and equipment supplier.

The TV set and small appliance sales will be very difficult against Wal-Mart and others so I am not sure they will be around very long.  About 6 months ago they employed 4 other people who have lost jobs now.  This sure hurts the small local stores that try to treat customers with dignity.
AF5J

Such is Life

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »

I got one of those Globe Patrol's...somewhere, buried amongst my stuff.  It was either Xmas 73 or 74 that I got it.
Scott

Heck Scott, dig it out and put it on ebay. seems someone is making a killing off 19 buck radios. I see more cheap kit radios and assorted shack items that were kits that's always marked up 500% or more. Anything they can attach the word vintage to makes it worth 200% more.. But thats off the subject for this thread. My apologies.
 John

Such is Life
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »

I would be interested in old kits,  as well.

My 9 year old entered his first science fair on school today.   Started his project last night,  Daddy didn't hold out real high hopes.

Took 4th place,  out of 30.  1st throughb3rd went to state.

He's already planning on a functional radio for next year.......

So,  some of us dad's might also be interested,  at 'realistic'  prices lol

(was going to get him one of the old archer science fair kits for Christmas.   Local store had one,  and it was over a hundred dollars...   Oh well).

--Shane
KD6VXI
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »

"Daddy didn't hold out real high hopes."
I have a Dad like that. Built a crystal controlled shortwave converter for science class.(Any project you want was critiria) Got a zero because Mr Bauer didn't understand what it was. Nobody seemed to care. Paw is a P Eng Electonics.  Still stings at 65.
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
W6WAC

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »

One of these days I’ll locate that Globe Patrol (I have it in its original box).  Like a few of you out there, I have accumulated a lot of stuff and it ends up getting buried.  Not sure I want to sell it though.  As for Radio Shack about to make a radical change in its history, I would certainly miss not being able to get parts on a whim or see the labels Realistic, Micronta, Archer, etc.  Radio Shack has certainly gone from something that was worth going to or study the catalogs and drool, particularly when I was a youngster (for those who are not aware, go to radioshackcatalogs dot com to see the entire run of RS catalogs and other things involving RS).  Over the years have bought many a product from them some of which is still in use today (the home stereo system from about 1983).  If they go belly up, would the prices being asked for or bid on go up even higher on ebay?  As it is, the RS items being offered on ebay is ridiculous at times but then so are many other items.  On the other hand, one could make money selling off RS stuff of yesteryear.

Scott
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 09:58:13 PM »

On the other hand, one could make money selling off RS stuff of yesteryear.

Scott
And from many other manufacturers too.

I can't think of any highly sought after RS product. However, that doesn't mean people won't bid like crazy for whatever the reason.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »

"Daddy didn't hold out real high hopes."
I have a Dad like that. Built a crystal controlled shortwave converter for science class.(Any project you want was critiria) Got a zero because Mr Bauer didn't understand what it was. Nobody seemed to care. Paw is a P Eng Electonics.  Still stings at 65.
don

Oh,  my hopes where being dashed by prior issues with the school and grading,  not because of anything my son did or didn't do.

In this project he learned the schematic symbols for a spst and spdt switch,  battery,  resistor,  led and ground.   He learned how to wire switches (correctly,  based on current electric codes),  residential AC color coding,  typical DC color codes (red and black).

He also used the drill,  a jig saw,  battery impact and wire cutters / strippers,  learned how to use heat shrink and how easy plates on home switches break.

Basically,  I soldered and operated the spray glue.   

I'm prouder of my son than anyone can imagine.   Before he went to school.   He was in bed at 930 last night and woke up at 5 this morning to do the entire written portion of his presentation.   Honestly,  I'm somewhat in awe.   He's a fourth grader and had to compete in the 5th grade category because he's in the gifted class.

He'll yes,  I'm a proud Papa.   And my boys know it.

Don't get me started on the other one.   Kid had me miss an hour and a half of work so I could take pictures of him getting his honor roll award.

My boys are the epitome of what I wasn't in school.

Hope that clears things up.   My (step)dad sucked.  Big time.   I know the agony of never making someone happy.   My kids never will.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KA2DZT

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Shane,

Keep up the good work with your son,  it will pay off big time years down the road.

Fred
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

"I know the agony of never making someone happy."  

Oh yes. Many of us are perfectionists. (believe me, I've been there)  Do some reading on it and see the damage we do to ourselves and others trying not to make mistakes, trying to control the world and never doing something "good enough". Self-esteem is one of the first internal beliefs to get beat up.

It's amazing how little we gain even if we ARE "perfect."  The price we pay getting there is way past diminishing returns.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 07:40:10 AM »

Hope that clears things up.   My (step)dad sucked.  Big time.   I know the agony of never making someone happy.   My kids never will.
I am glad to hear it.
Bless you my son
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »

I went into my local RS and no signs of sales or clearance signs, yet.
I will keep my eye out on this thread and the news, and when clearance is announced, I will quickly go and buy BIG on fuses and D.C. connectors, RF connectors, and Audio connectors, like XLR.
Running low on these items and don't want to order anything on ePay.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »

The local store here in northern Wisconsin closed about 3 weeks ago.  One day they were there, next day the store was completely cleaned out to the bare walls. The owners of the mall didn't even know they were leaving.  The closest store is 60 miles away. 

I worked there for over two years and retired.  There are too many things wrong with the entire organization to list not the least of which is constant employee turnover from top to bottom.  It drove me nuts when I went in there because nobody, including management, knew anything about electronics.  We were taught to "greet"people immediately when they came in the door.  I'd always brush them off and wait on myself.  At least I never got any high-pressure sales pitches for something I didn't need or want...another company problem. 

Unfortunately most sales associates would be tied up with cell phone sales, screening and set-ups which could take up to an hour or more each.  During that time, potential customers would get tired of waiting and leave.  I always referred phone sales to someone else and even though I'd lose a commission, I'd make up for it servicing customers who would otherwise be lost.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »

The local store here in northern Wisconsin closed about 3 weeks ago.  One day they were there, next day the store was completely cleaned out to the bare walls.  The owners of the mall didn't even know they were leaving.  The closest store is 60 miles away.

OK......looks like overnight surprises and keep it a secret

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »

At least in the case of the Rhinelander store Fred.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

I got a bunch of stuff from my local one, they knew nothing about anything closing and thought that was crazy talk.

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:48 PM »

Went to the local Radio Snack here today, Castro Valley, CA, they had very LOUD obnoxious music on, the speaker was just 5 feet above my head at the cashier. I told them I had GREAT difficulty hearing them because of the LOUD music, got a deer in the head lights look. I was in the same store a month ago and made the same comment. Told then it was a good way to drive away customers.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015