The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:58:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSTRAN AM rebroadcasters  (Read 9355 times)
WQ9E

« on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »

Anyone had any recent dealings with SSTRAN?  Their products seem highly rated and I ordered a model 3000 on December 24 and paid via Paypal.  Over two weeks later the order still shows pending and they don't respond to either their email address or contact form on the webpage.   Did they go out of business?  I could easily get a refund via Paypal but I would like the product.  I don't have a problem if there is a parts holdup but a response to communication would be nice and they don't appear to have a phone #.

I also picked up one of the single band QRP CW transceiver kits from Ten Tec before Christmas, very fast shipping along with Amazon.com like order updates.  A definite contrast in customer service. 

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »

Anyone had any recent dealings with SSTRAN?  Their products seem highly rated and I ordered a model 3000 on December 24 and paid via Paypal.  Over two weeks later the order still shows pending and they don't respond to either their email address or contact form on the webpage.   Did they go out of business?  I could easily get a refund via Paypal but I would like the product.  I don't have a problem if there is a parts holdup but a response to communication would be nice and they don't appear to have a phone #.

I also picked up one of the single band QRP CW transceiver kits from Ten Tec before Christmas, very fast shipping along with Amazon.com like order updates.  A definite contrast in customer service. 

I just looked them up Rodger and they are only about 30 miles from me.  I tweaked them a bit and lets see if I get a response.  I could also find out where they are and pay them a visit!  I will also try and get you a phone number. 
Joe GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »

Thanks Joe!

I don't mind waiting and I am sure they are a small company but a response from them with status would be nice.  Hopefully they will wake up from hibernation and start shipping soon.  I would like to be able to use my XM radio as a source for some of the vintage gear.

Now time to plow the driveway one more time since the wind shifted to the south and now the snow is blowing in the opposite direction Sad

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »

Thanks Joe!

I don't mind waiting and I am sure they are a small company but a response from them with status would be nice.  Hopefully they will wake up from hibernation and start shipping soon.  I would like to be able to use my XM radio as a source for some of the vintage gear.

Now time to plow the driveway one more time since the wind shifted to the south and now the snow is blowing in the opposite direction Sad

Lets see if I get a response.  I tried finding a phone number through all the online search sites but no luck.  Your right, they should at least get back to you to let you know the status of your order.  It appears they changed to a new address a few years back. 

Good luck on the plowing.  We did not have much snow hear the other day but I did get out the snow blower and had some fun! 

Joe GMS     

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

In poking around, I came up with the name Jonathan Stern associated with SSTRAN. No association with Eagleville, PA but there's one or two in King of Prussia, Pa  (located close by). You could search Switchboard and see if any of them have a phone number.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »

Read this. Recent post seems to indicate things are rolling again.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=267483

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »

Pete,

Thanks!  I didn't find that thread during my search.

Hopefully mine will soon be on the way.  I don't mind waiting but in this electronic age not putting a simple note on the website that explains there is a delay is just plain goofy. 

Rodger WQ9E
N1BCG

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 04:27:12 PM »

I bought and built an AMT-3000 almost 10 years ago and it continues to operate perfectly and sound great! I opted to solder the surface-mount compressor chip myself but I wouldn't recommend that. I had to give up coffee for several days to stabilize the soldering iron sufficiently.

The only thing that bugs me about the design is that the high-boost eq circuit follows the compressor/limiter. I have that bypassed and instead use a simple R/C circuit on the input to provide pre-emphasis. Still, you'll be thrilled by it's remarkably good sound and frequency stability.

Clark
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »

I did some looking around on the SSTRAN web. There's a PDF regarding hum issues which is "signed" by Phil Bolyn.  I think he's the boss.  Switchboard.com gives his address as the same as SSTRAN & there's a phone number...

Here:   http://www.switchboard.com/name/Philip-C-Bolyn/Norristown-PA/3iudhqj

73, Bill  N2BC
WQ9E

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »

Bill,

Thanks for the info!  If I don't get an email response by the end of the day I will phone him.  After one contact he seems to have left the other buyer hanging again.

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »

He never returned a response to me after I sent him an email when you first reported the problem.

It would be very interesting to hear what he has to say if you get him on the phone. 

Joe GMS 

WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »

I received a good tracking number this afternoon so it looks like it finally shipped.  Thanks to everyone for supplying information and I will soon be streaming XM old time radio to my old time radios Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »

I received a good tracking number this afternoon so it looks like it finally shipped.  Thanks to everyone for supplying information and I will soon be streaming XM old time radio to my old time radios Smiley

Rodger,
Did you call him?
Joe

WQ9E

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

Joe,

I didn't call.  I checked my email between meetings this afternoon and found a message from USPS.com with the tracking info that shows that the actual package is in the postal system with an expected delivery date of Thursday.

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

Hi Rodger,

Well glad you going to be receiving it soon.  Let us all know how it works out when you get it up and running.

Joe-GMS

WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

Joe,

Will do!  I am looking forward to providing some quality content for my vintage receivers.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015