The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update of twin 811A linear  (Read 2909 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: December 29, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »

As some will remember I built a twin 811A amp and sorted it out with help from this forum. I have been running it for quite awhile now. A couple of weeks ago I misconnected a new exciter and popped the input circuits resistors but a few minutes work when I finally got the new parts and it is back in business and working well. I have since that original thread added 40M, at first temporarily and finally with a permanent 40/80 switch. I has been working well for me and is very satisfying to get an idea and take it through to a usable piece of shack equipment. I know powerwise it isn't huge but it does what I built it for with room to spare. I'm  happy with it. In my early days as a ham I used to have a viewstar Linear. It was way more then I wanted or needed and I was nervous using it so I got it out of here after a few months. This is something I am comfortable with.  
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

Crystals are really from the Pre-Cambrian. Grin

...as are the mica spacers in your 811's.
And the ground up , clay based and fired ceramics in your tube sockets, the silica for tube glass envelopes, and all the petroleum based ( Jurassic) plastics, wire insulation, etc.  along with all the copper and other metals used in your rig.

Well come to think of it all including us come from stellar nebula, heavier elements from previous super novae, and general mayhem of universe creation from time immemorial.

..sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

Seriously, Always like reading about your HB projects and enjoyed the humor of your avatar.

RICK  *W3RSW*
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »

Thanks Rick. As I read your post I was thinking about what my nephew said when we were leading the points race at our local drag strip for probably the 50th time and I asked him if he thought we made a good team. (I did motors , he drove) He said and I quote "I think you are a stupid old man and you live in the past." Funny thing is that was the last race he ever drove. Yeah and to be honest I have two rockbound rigs here. I just felt creative today.
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015