The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:45:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Rally - 2015  (Read 31211 times)
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »

What do you run? Stuff looks good in the pic.
don

Don,

I'm running the Apache into an inverted-L that will load on 40, 80 and 160 meters.  The Apache covers down to 80M, but I have a DX-100B I will be fixing up. I'm usually on in the evenings.

Brad
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »

I was even able to load the electronic log on my P.C. so that is a major step "forward" as compared to my ARRL log book! \

That's great!  Upload it to the server when you have a chance.

Please also send your electronic logs to me: bradk4rt@verizon.net Thanks!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »

I regret I have been ill and my old Calico has been recovering from a severe illness so I have been very busy caring for her. Just didn't feel like it. Looking forward to the seeing results.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »

I listened Saturday night after the Military Radio Collectors Net, we had one station at Fort Mac Arthur in San Pedro (LA) check in. It was the Los Angles Air Raid event that commemorates a false air raid alarm in LA during WWII. They we running a BC-669 is a low power, 25 watts of carrier I think. I heard them well up here in the Bay Area, a 350 mile path, conditions were good on 75 meters. The net was from 7:30 to 8:30 PST.

I listened on the usual 75 meter frequencies after the net but heard none thing, my typical schedule is to turn in a 9 so after 9 I tend to fade FAST!  What time was the 75 meter opening to the East Coast??? I also listened on 40 meters that night and Saturday afternoon but again none thing.

It was a very nice weekend weather wise, that may have had some thing to do with the lack of activity.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »

The strongest sigs I heard from the West coast were at around 12:30 AM to 1:00 AM Eastern time, and perhaps beyond that as well.  I ceased operating somewhat after 1:00 AM and went to bed.   Stations were real loud.

Also got an email from an SWL in Holland stating that the signal was "booming in" over there.  I think the band was in quite exceptional condition.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »

Budley.... is the late fer dinner net going to be on a regular basis?

Wigger, it's a hit n' miss thing during the week. Weekends tend to be better attended. Let the receiver rest at 3733 starting around 5PM EST during the week. Karl (with a "K") KD3CN and I were on last night till around 6PM. If I get home from work in time I usually check it out and call a few CQ's.

Buddly
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »

Sadly, W9T didn't make much of a splash in the rally this year!  Saturday morning I made several contacts on 3885 after the Midwest Classic Radio Net.....then ZORCH!   The old Federal 167B filled the shack with smoke after a power supply in the speech amplifier/modulator let go.  Oh well...Murphy prevailed this year.  I will get it fixed, but it is a cumbersome job to get into the rack and fix the problem and I didn't have time to do it over the weekend.   Sad Cry

73,  Jack, W9GT  (W9T)

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »

Sadly, W9T didn't make much of a splash in the rally this year!  Saturday morning I made several contacts on 3885 after the Midwest Classic Radio Net.....then ZORCH!   The old Federal 167B filled the shack with smoke after a power supply in the speech amplifier/modulator let go.  Oh well...Murphy prevailed this year.  I will get it fixed, but it is a cumbersome job to get into the rack and fix the problem and I didn't have time to do it over the weekend.   Sad Cry

73,  Jack, W9GT  (W9T)

Wow, that's too bad!  I was looking forward to working you again this year.  No backup transmitter??

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »

Jack,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Federal 167B, but good to hear you made some contacts.  Please do submit your log!

Brad K4RT
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »

KT5 was also a bust this year due to work schedule changes and transmitter woes.  Maybe next year will be more successful.

Regrettably absent,

John

AMI#1684
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »

I had rig troubles as well. My Gonset G-76 station had a problem with the 8877 based linear amplifier. The big tube had a heater to cathode short which turns the tube on full when key up. Many linears using tubes like this just drive the cathode, and then for simplicity keep the filament at RF ground. This also had one side of the filament grounded. So when the tube shorted, this bypassed the zener bias diode, and the 47k bias off resistor.

I had to make circuit changes to keep the drive common mode to the cathode and filament along with ungrounding one side of the filament transformer. Had to add a filament choke into tight space. The chassis was originally a Dentron mla-2500.

Now I am ready to go again.... .

Jim
Wd5jko
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015