The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Rally - 2015  (Read 31551 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: December 21, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »

Thanks to the efforts of Brad - K4RT, we are happy to announce

The AM Transmitter Rally, 2015, 21-23 February 2015.

Please see the link below for the details.

AMTR 2015

Place questions and discussion in this thread.

Hope to hear all of you on the air!
N8SDR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »

When viewing the hyperlinks regarding the logging information and available files posted in the http://amfone.net/AMTR/AMTR-2015.html  I noticed an error in the 3 hyperlinks regarding the logbook information and files available:

Within the hyperlinks there is an error they point to

http://amfone.net/AMTR/www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

http://amfone.net/AMTR/www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.xls

and

http://amfone.net/AMTR/www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.csv

The links to these files if your using the hyperlinks need to have the:  http://amfone.net/AMTR/   Removed from them

the correct links are

www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.xls

and

www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.csv

N8SDR
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »

Nice catch. I didn't test those links. They have been corrected. 

Thanks.
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

Jeff K1NSS made up a nice banner for the event. Its listed on an earlier discussion.

PAN

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »

not to be a pest but on http://amfone.net/AMTR/AMTR-2015.html there is shown a picture of the log, but the cat column is shown  as the same as the time column. It is confusing. Could this please be clarified/fixed? Thank you for taking care of this event!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:17:33 AM »

not to be a pest but on http://amfone.net/AMTR/AMTR-2015.html there is shown a picture of the log, but the cat column is shown  as the same as the time column. It is confusing. Could this please be clarified/fixed? Thank you for taking care of this event!

It appears to me that if you're going to operate CAT C, you could enter the time contact as 2143C, next one as 2148C, etc. If later in the rally, you change categories, say now Category (CAT) E, your time contacts would be 0232E, or 0314E, etc.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

Don't worry too much about the CAT: entry  Smiley  Almost everyone uses the logging software anyway, and the software puts the CAT: entry into the database automatically and you never have to worry about it.

If you send in an entry by some other means (paper logs, execl, etc), just specify the station category based on the transmitting equipment you're using.

We make it work one way or the other!

Regards,  Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »

How about adding a "Cat" column to the log form as shown in the attached image?  Steve, could the logging software be updated to add a CAT column?  If so a "Cat" column could be added to the Excel version of the log.  I can create a PDF paper log form for those who just want to print a log form and hand-write the log entries.

* image002.jpg (38.7 KB, 754x99 - viewed 367 times.)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »

I've forwarded the time/date correction info to Jeff. We'll post an updated file when he is finished with it.

Philip KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »

Sorry gang, will correct.  Thanks for the heads up Philip and kudos K4RT. I thought it was the 500 but I'm probably not hip to the finer points. Like, maybe there's no such thing as a 500, HI! Good old WRL.

We have met the enemy and he is THEM.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

How about adding a "Cat" column to the log form as shown in the attached image?  Steve, could the logging software be updated to add a CAT column?  If so a "Cat" column could be added to the Excel version of the log.  I can create a PDF paper log form for those who just want to print a log form and hand-write the log entries.

I think for this year, it would not be a good idea to make any database changes.

So far since the event started (I don't remember how many years it's been - would 2015 be the 5th year?) station categories have been non-problematic.

But, we can definitely discuss for future events for sure!!!

Hopefully we will have low static and good propagation for the 2015 event.  That makes SUCH a difference!

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

Yep. You're either going to get on the air or you're aren't. A logging program should not be the focus.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »

The category is only used by the data reduction software (and is part of the data reduction output), and is otherwise not used, so it's pretty minor :-)

K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »

If you plan to participate in the 2015 AM Transmitter Rally Feb. 21-23 but will not be using logging software, you might find the attached (to this post) summary sheet and log sheet useful.

The 2-letter Canadian province codes can be found here: http://www.comeexplorecanada.com/abbreviations.php and 2-letter international codes here  http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/help/helpctry.htm

* AMTR-LogSheet.pdf (60.53 KB - downloaded 153 times.)
* AMTR-SummaryForm.pdf (86.22 KB - downloaded 171 times.)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 07:34:56 PM »

Summary Form and Log Sheet for the AMTR are also available at the link below.

www.qsl.net/k4rt/amtr/forms.htm
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »

As of today, there are only 2 special event call signs issued. I'm sure that they'll get some radio leg fer sure.

klc

STRAP!

What? Me worry?
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 11:16:30 PM »

Thanks Kevin.

Special event calls reserved for the 2015 AMTR:

K4K   (by WA4JK)
K5T   (by KX5JT)
W1E   (by WA1QIX)
W1G  (by KB2WIG)
W9T   (by W9GT)

Updated 01/23/2015
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »

Which service is best to apply for special event call?  Is there a fee?  Should I do this?

AMI#1684
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »

John - I have reserved 1x1 call signs in the past through the web site http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php/search but there may be others.  It's been a couple of years since the last time I reserved a 1x1, but I never had to pay a fee.  It's best to reserve a 1x1 early.

If you use a 1x1 call sign, there's the possibility that you will receive requests for hard copy QSL cards, so you should have a means to print QSL cards in case you receive any requests.  If that's not a problem or concern, then I would say go for it.

Brad
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »

B,

The Official card.

klc

* W1G Oficail qsl card.jpg (150.45 KB, 2338x1700 - viewed 439 times.)

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

U __ ain't right __
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »

What a great suggestion! This event may be a good chance to unload some of the extra QSL cards lying about.

K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:12 AM »

KLC, Nice work!

I can't top that, but I made a quick & dirty rally QSL using an old QSL card as a template using MS Paint (attached).  If anyone is interested in using something like this to print their own rally cards you probably have the tools on your PC to do it without too much work.  If not, I can clean up the attached image and put your 1x1 and name and QTH on there and send it to you as a JPG or GIF.  You'll have to figure out the size for best resolution on your printer and let me know.

If memory serves, I think I read some years ago about a ham who prints his own QSLs on card-stock he buys at an office supplies store, thin enough to feed into a home printer, printing several cards on each sheet then separating them with a paper cutter or scissors.  The info might be on the web.

* qsl.jpg (86.01 KB, 701x414 - viewed 361 times.)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »

I plan to be using W9T again this year.  Hope to see you all during the Rally!  Smiley

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »

KLC, Nice work!

I can't top that, but I made a quick & dirty rally QSL using an old QSL card as a template using MS Paint (attached).  If anyone is interested in using something like this to print their own rally cards you probably have the tools on your PC to do it without too much work.  If not, I can clean up the attached image and put your 1x1 and name and QTH on there and send it to you as a JPG or GIF.  You'll have to figure out the size for best resolution on your printer and let me know.

If memory serves, I think I read some years ago about a ham who prints his own QSLs on card-stock he buys at an office supplies store, thin enough to feed into a home printer, printing several cards on each sheet then separating them with a paper cutter or scissors.  The info might be on the web.

That's exactly what I do except I don't have a color laser printer. There isn't much to it. I create the card in paint to use an image/photo and then add text still using paint, then save and paste into word so there are several on a page. I take the file to a full service office supply store, and print a proof. If all is well, I buy a pack of matte card stock and have it laser printed. Then use their paper cutter in the self serve area to chop them up. Note the new paint program in w7 and up is not too good for this, has to be the older 2000/XP version or it messes up the letters and even pixels with some kind of 'clear type' idiocy. The real card has much greater detail than this pic. The thing is that they are expensive to make because of the color laser print, copying fees, and the rest >$1 each.

* sample.png (298.94 KB, 528x338 - viewed 389 times.)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015