The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fed Up…another Valiant posting  (Read 13230 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: November 23, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

The rotary band and coupling switches in the Valiant are grab-a** POS. Can you tell I'm frustrated??? Went up and worked some 10m AM this PM on 29.000. Go down to give 20m a try and KA-PING!!!! Plate current slams the RH side of the meter. I've retensioned and cajoled this bandswitch more times than I can remember. You use it you takes your chances.

Can anyone suggest replacements?? I understand Electroswitch is mighty proud of their stuff.

Thanks.

KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »

I have lots of NOS rotaries, send me the configuration and maybe I can help. Wink

73 Dennis

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »

Phil,

I heard you calling CQ this afternoon on 21430. I was about to answer you when the XYL snagged me for a "Honey-Dew". Was your trip to 15 before or after the Ka-Boom?

Sorry to hear the rig is giving you more trouble. Did you finally tighten that last screw into the cabinet?  Cry

Jim
Wd5JKO
KC4VWU

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »

Wow, and it was really sounding great the other week when we QSO'ed on 3885!

If it makes you feel any better, after you guys signed, I went to hit the PTT and answer a call and CLICK!, the Globe King blew a fuse. So hey, just remember, your not alone! Good luck with the fix, you'll get it straightened out.

Phil
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »

Phil, if you can find the parts, fix it, sell it and if you want a 100 watt class transmitter, get a DX 100 or B&W 5100 (no suffix).  A lot less trouble.
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:15:37 PM »

After my sojourn on 10 and 15. Was tuning up on 20 when the hatefulness occurred.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

The rotary band and coupling switches in the Valiant are grab-a** POS. Can you tell I'm frustrated??? Went up and worked some 10m AM this PM on 29.000. Go down to give 20m a try and KA-PING!!!! Plate current slams the RH side of the meter. I've retensioned and cajoled this bandswitch more times than I can remember. You use it you takes your chances.

Can anyone suggest replacements?? I understand Electroswitch is mighty proud of their stuff.

Thanks.

KA4KOE

It's not clear to me what happened with the switches. Contacts or some physical issue with the switches?? Drop the emotions and tell us what is the problem.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »

Dennis

I'll be in touch offline.

Tnx.

PAN

k3msb

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »

Oh, come now James.... Grin you can add a B after the 5100........  Nobody's every complained about my audio and it is stock.....

Phil, if you can find the parts, fix it, sell it and if you want a 100 watt class transmitter, get a DX 100 or B&W 5100 (no suffix).  A lot less trouble.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »

Dennis

I'll be in touch offline.

Tnx.

PAN

Feelip, there are people out in radioland who have not been doing this type of work for 45 years who appreciate your postings. I'm speaking with one right now.....

Dave W2VW
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

I'm just trying to keep from reinventing the wheel. I think at this point a replacement is in order. The original ceramic on the bandswitch was fractured. The epoxy repair did not hold. It was re-repaired with epoxy a second time with care taken to remove lateral stresses at the wire connection points. I used the 24 hour set epoxy; not the quick set. I'm betting good money when I open 'er up again the second repair will have failed as well. Also, one of the wipers that connects the bandswitch to the coarse loading switch via a jumper was retensioned. I'm thinking that given the small size of the wipers that metal fatique is a very real possibility.

WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »

With all of the trouble you have had with that switch a replacement unit in good shape is an excellent idea.

I dug out a parts chassis Valiant this morning to grab a pot for my Viking 500 but the switch has already been removed from it.

The audio pot in my Viking 500 developed a crack in the carbon trace which opened when it was warm. This should be a simple repair but since the pot is mounted to both the sub-panel and front panel you have to remove all of the knobs, panel nuts, VFO escutcheon etc. to get the pot out.  On some gear with sub-panels you can do the work from the side with a thin wrench but since the Johnson panels curve around the sub-panel that method isn't possible.  So this simple repair ate up most of an hour.

Rodger WQ9E
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »

Was looking for some unrelated paperwork today and opened old K3ZRF Valiant folder.

Flipped through and stumbled on receipt for "rear wafer for 22-1296-1 switch quantity 2". Direct from E.F. Johnson. Dated 1-25-74.

Seems this has happened before.

This message has been brought to you from the other side.

WA4JK

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »

The switch in my K3ZRF Valiant has been replaced.
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 07:42:03 AM »

I have located two replacement rotary switches. I am going to replace the coarse loading switch while I am in there; even though it is causing no issues at the moment. Future facts will be coordinated with nil non sequiturs. This task is not nearly as difficult as constructing a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins.

ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »

Sent off for replacement switches today. Opened up Valiant last night and fixed bandswitch for about the 10th time. Also decided to do Timmy's audio mods while I am in there. This part will take a few days but I made a decent dent in the list of things to do.

Philip

KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »

To paraphrase from the movie Heartbreak Ridge. "Ladies, the Valiant may not kill you, but it will surely break your heart"  Cry

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »

I will face doom on my feet and with defiance in my countenance.....

KR4BR

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:32 PM »

Hi, All. I posted for info on the Valliant band switch a few months ago. I read some where a switch from a AL-80 or 572 switch could be fitted to the Valliant. I have had problems with my Valliant more then 25 years. Time to change some thing. I heard Timtron had the fix?? jerrywf
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »

Look here.....

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/valiantbytron.htm

KC4VWU

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:06 AM »

Flip,
       Were you on the Valiant last night talking to Grant (W4BVT)? If so, the mods were a success. Very good audio!

73, Phil
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

No, I wasn't on that late. I checked into the traders net around 7:45 PM local.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015