The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:35:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: you know you're getting old....  (Read 10214 times)
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »

So my wife yesterday met a nice young lady at work.  They discussed, I am told, a number of subjects many related to her work which is the world of theater.  They had a very pleasant conversation and before they parted the younger woman said that she knew of her father, whom she had met at a local golf course.  She said both her boyfriend and his father played golf with him.

My lovely wife smiled and said "that would be my husband."

Ouch. 

I'll never hear the end of this one  Cool Cool Cool  I think women age better.  As to your's truly it could be all that exposure to RF. Or maybe I need more?   Maybe I better take up another game.  Like Shuffleboard.  LOL.

Pete
KY4SP

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

Think of it this way- IF women do age better (and at least in my case I'm sure it is so), then as I age I get the advantage of having a younger wife without the expense, trauma and drama of alimony, child support etc.

I don't buy the RF exposure theory, if that accelerated aging I would be dust by now.

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »

My older brother always introduced me as his older brother. I was 10 years his junior...oh well.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »

You've got a 'trophy wife".   Smile.  Smile very big!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »

Pete,

Your wife smiled and she set her young friend straight.  She is obviously very proud of her husband.  You have a keeper.  That's the important lesson from this!

AMI#1684
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »

Good story Pete. 
 Guess we'll all try to one up it  Grin

In my case, looking in the mirror every day, I still think I'm me..  no change.

However when my wife's father died at 86 several years ago, at least two older folks came up to me at the viewing and said, " I'm so sorry about your brother."

I wasn't even quick enough to try to correct them, quite the opposite of your wife's gentle words.

Guess I better update my icon.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »

It could be worse, Peter -

A few months back I was returning from a trip to the bank with my daughter in her car seat when we had to stop for a police road block. As we were waiting, the officer standing by the car said "Cute kid - your granddaughter?" I just smiled and said "Nope, I'm her father. She's all mine." He apologized but I said no need. I am just a tad older than the average new dad, after all.  Grin

'PJP is really in for it.....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »

TNX all for the comments.  Todd...I feel better now Grin Grin Grin

p
WB3JOK

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »

Room for one more? I was dating a younger woman for a while... we were at the bank cashing checks and the middle-aged woman teller looked at our ID's and said, "Are you her dad?"... I decided to give her a chance to backpedal and said, "What do you mean, am I dead"... but she plowed right ahead with "are you her father?".

I just smiled and replied, "No, I'm her boyfriend".
<crickets>

GF was just quietly snickering to herself. I still wish I'd given her a big sloppy tongue kiss and a "Yes, she's my favorite".
 Grin
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

My 31st birthday I was presented with an 18 year old.

9 months later,  almost to the hour,  my first son was born.   

I've gotten plenty of the are you her dad,  stepfather,  etc.  Comments.   A couple 'Chester the molester'  ones,  and my personal favorite,  'Dude...   You' re my hero'.

Hard to keep up at times....

--Shane
KD6VXI
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »

"Old" is a state of mind.  I was 52 when my daughter was born and I experienced the same scenario that Todd narrated in an earlier post.  Last one was a few months ago at her school open house.  One of thenteachersmthought I was her grandfather.

It's fun to set them straight.

Yes, Joe, you are in for it for sure.

But it sure beats the alternative.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:23 AM »

I was watching a show the other day and they were interviewing an officer in the Army about to retire at age 62. He said he really loved Korea and was thinking about going back there since he did six tours over there. At one point on the interview, the host noticed that he was a fun type of guy and asked him why he was so happy. He said it was mandatory to grow old but optional to grow up! That at age 73, works for me Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »

My 31st birthday I was presented with an 18 year old.
--Shane
KD6VXI

Shane, That has to be quite a story. Case in point, over 33 years ago I was 25, and visiting Ozona Bob, W5PYT (sk) at his QTH in Ozona, Texas. I was privileged to sit at their table for supper. At the table was Bob, his XYL Joyce, and two daughters. Towards the end of supper I noticed a lot of whispering going on. With no idea what was happening, it was already arranged that I was taking the 18 year old daughter dancing in 1 hour! I guess that was the payback for a nice meal....

We did have a nice time, but it was clear that the 7 years between us might have been 40. It was a one time date with no regrets. Now I have an 18 year old daughter!! OMG what is it that motivates these girls? Instead of telling me her finances are in order, she TELLS me she is getting a Tattoo.  Cry

I don't know how you done it guy...

Jim
Wd5JKO
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:21 AM »

Jim, Whoops I had to go back and look and do that math again... .for a moment there I thought you fathered a daughter that was Ozona Bob's granddaughter!   Wink

AMI#1684
WQ9E

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »

I turned 43 shortly before our daughter was born and this age difference has provided great incentive to stay in shape Smiley  Anna is now 11 and we have been on a lot of lengthy mountain hikes together including some 16 mile day trips.  Anna has been responsible for a few bruises while helping her practice for various sporting events and recently a few hot glue burns while helping with a school project but so far I am holding up fine as an older parent at age 54 Smiley 

The upside of being an older parent is financial stability and being able to take time to spend plenty of time with my daughter.  I was already a tenured full prof when she was born which allowed me to devote a lot of time to her from birth onward.  I plan to retire within the year with just some consulting work to keep me busy in addition to hobbies and in about a year we plan to make a complete route 66 trip in a new Corvette Z06.  Age can definitely have its benefits!  I coached her soccer league team for the past 3 years and last year several of the team members were less than motivated.  I ran them to the opposite goal and back and beat the fastest one (my daughter) by about  5 yards.  I then had a little coach to team talk telling them how embarrassed I would have been as a 10 year old to be beaten by an old man and after that coaching session we went on to win our final 3 games and their lethargic behavior was not seen again.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015