The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "To Switch or not to Switch" part two..  (Read 14024 times)
W2NBC
Contributing

« on: November 13, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »

Hey folks,

Remember this post?

"So this is the question to the group.. How many of you are using “indoor” pieces of coax that could be as old as some of your vintage gear, and maybe it's time to simplify our switching systems to a less convenient direct patch panel with NEW coax.."

After a couple years of work priorities and drilling and blasting homebrew transmitters, I FINALLY got around to punching, painting and creating a functional coax patch panel.. The nice part about this piece is that's it's a swing out 19" wall mounted rack with 6" of depth behind it to accommodate the coax bends.. With the addition of QRO capability with the new transmitters at the station, coax switches will be used for low level stuff only.. This panel can be configured in many ways, however having 20 sources and 4 destinations is OK fine by me.. I have been constructing all new LMR-400 jumpers around the studio..

Sometimes it's the little things..

* Patch Panel.jpg (126.27 KB, 900x660 - viewed 897 times.)

* patch panel side.jpg (65.87 KB, 900x675 - viewed 850 times.)

* patch panel swing.jpg (62 KB, 900x675 - viewed 915 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »

Jeff

Beautiful!

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »

Jeff,

Nice work,  seems 20 sources (rigs) but only one antenna (turner port) or am I not seeing something?
Did you make the cabinet or something you re-purposed?

Fred
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »

Jeff - That really is nice work, and thanks for posting the photos.

From the back side it looks like he can use just about any configuration - just update the labels on the front.

Brad
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

I just use a bunch of switches.
I made a small rack mount box that has a bunch of switches and relays in it and I can select 4 transmitters, 7 receivers, it has the mod monitor takeoff, the big TR relay and a bunch of mute and key relays in it.
I can select up to 4 antenna's and if I use a tuna I can put it in both or just the TX path.

The relays and switches are good for my max power levels, about 3kw pep.

I also can bridge the RX antenna poers to feed 2 receivers at once, and sdr for a band scope and the homebrew RX.
Its about 6 inches high, the T/R relay is rubber mounted.

W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:51:45 AM »

I also have been using a bunch of switches and relays with a central T/R with 5 transmitters, and 8 receivers..

BUT, isolation and noise gets a little suspect and I didn't realize it until I traced just one leaky coax jumper that was introducing junk from my wireless modem into the SDR.. It was then that I started looking around at my "bunch of switches" and added coax jumpers, etc. Too many, and switches can fail especially at QRO..
 The beauty about patch panels, RF or audio is that they are flexible, and as Fred asked, "only one antenna port?" and Brad correctly pointed out that's it's all about the labels..

After all with a label maker, "..you can do anything you want to do. This is your world."

* It's your world.jpg (58.34 KB, 620x405 - viewed 929 times.)

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »

There is a special place in heaven reserved for ultra-perfectionists like you, Jeff...  Grin

Vely nice.    

BTW, for the beginners amongst us -  be sure not to use 90 degree PL-259 / SO-239 elbow adapters for QRO. Most elbows use a tiny steel spring inside for the inner conductor and can fry.  

But J, looks like you got it covered and left enuff room in the box to make a gradual bend in the coax instead.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »

A beautiful panel any radioman would be proud to own!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »

"..you can do anything you want to do. This is your world."

"Just paint in a happy little jack right there."

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »

Jeff

Gotta say that I have had problems with switches developing problems in the past.  That has to be the elegant way of managing your RF connections.  Gotta think seriously of implementing that approach in my shack

Thanks, Al

PS: miss you on 75
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

I've been using B&W 551A coax switches to switch antennas and rigs for the last 40 years. Also have a homebrew set of 6 position ceramic switches for additional switching of rigs and antennas.  Never had a problem with the switches. I tried the patch panel route years ago but discarded it. Looked like hell on the wall.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »

Jeff,

I prefer your approach to switching.  I am going to do exactly the same thing downstairs in the working museum where I will have 10 separate working stations.  Pick a rig, pick a receiver and patch them to a common TR antenna relay and your done.  I do have some very nice Bird many KW rotary coaxial switches, but I still like the patch panel approach.

Very nice workmanship. 

Joe, GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »

If you do a lot of switching, a switch is nice.
I have not had a switch failure yet.
I used to have more, but still have 4 transmitters and 3 receivers, 2 antenna's and the dummy load, plus whatever wanders into the shack.
I change rigs to change bands, and patch cables would get old fast.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »

J,

That panel really looks good. All I have is a Steel City new work box.

Does Tareyton still make coax switches?

klc

What? Me worry?
John K5PRO

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 01:46:13 AM »

That is indeed nice work!

I used to work for Delta Electronics inc. in Alexandria, VA/ They made some beautiful big matrix switches for the various government and military installations, where you just push a button and transmitter X is connected to antenna Y. I remember testing these things for VSWR, crosstalk, and speed, and they were very high quality and price...

http://www.deltaelectronics.com/hfprod.htm

http://www.deltaelectronics.com/data/sls4data.htm
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:52 AM »

Jeff,

Looks great, but you just have the cheap part done.   A couple thousand feet of good coax should bring it up into the "real whiskey" price range Wink.

I built a panel recently to switch around the various exciters and amps.   Not nearly so elaborate as yours, nor for high power capabilities but sure makes interconnect a lot easier.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »

Mike, that's a neat looking switch panel! You are absolutely correct about the amount of coax needed to make this happen.. $$$$..and then, tearing out all the old runs around the shack and the factory approach doing up all the connectors.. (boring)  Wink

John, thanks for the link to the Delta Electronics remote switching.. beautiful looking stuff with great specs.. Perhaps I can trade one of my classic cars just for a down payment! Ha

Joe, Ok on the museum future patch arrangements.. I'm sure you will definitely run into many hundreds of feet of coax to make all THAT happen at the zoo..

Mr T, thanks for the tip on the right angle adapters QRO.. Nary a one present on the transmit path..

Patching and switching are all the same deal, just a different method..  As Brett and Pete pointed out, switches work for years QRO or otherwise with no problems.. As far as how it "looks" on the wall.. I will leave that to the eye of the beholder..

After all,
 "..you can do anything you want to do. This is your world."
-Time to paint in another "Happy Jack"-   Grin

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »

Heh, that's not a patch panel....THIS is a patch panel...
http://www.navy-radio.com/xmtrs/tuner/xmtr-patch-02.JPG

But Seriously, that's a really great looking panel that you've built.
Nick K4NYW
www.navy-radio.com

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

Joe, Ok on the museum future patch arrangements.. I'm sure you will definitely run into many hundreds of feet of coax to make all THAT happen at the zoo..

Your right about that Jeff!   My switch panel will be in a rack mount cabinet in an adjacent room.  I am building the baseboard with extra thickness with a removable lid cap on the top.  That will be the wiring trough.  2 coax lines from each station.  One RG-58 for each receive and an RG-8 type for the transmitters.  So for 10 stations that's 10 runs with an average length of 40' each or a total of 800' of coax.  That does not take into account the audio and PTT routing.  I have included a preliminary statement of requirement for my interconnects. 

Your patching scheme looks great and I am sure you will be happy with it.

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »

I have been down both roads of a patch panel and now using a switch. I am using the MFJ 1700C and looking inside, looks very well built for legal limit.
I can quickly switch up to 6 "radio systems" to 6 antennas.
When I want to test, I can switch to the dummy load without messing with PL259's. Everything going out to an antenna system is all 50 ohms so, there should be less chance of switching mismatched loads and arcing the contacts.
I still have my full length dipole @65 feet high  w/OWL, two magnetic loop antennas capable of remote tuning and QRO, A defective A3S,Vertical for 40/15 and 17M with its own remote MFJ antenna switch at the base of the antenna.
Fred

* PATCH.jpg (670.73 KB, 2160x1620 - viewed 954 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015