The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:41:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill-W3DUQ now a Silent Key  (Read 31781 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »

Sorry to report that our great long term friend Bill-W3DUQ has become a Silent Key. 

Joe - W3GMS

William L. Nagle, 74 years, of Honey Brook, passed away on Friday, Nov. 7, 2014 at the Brandywine Hospital, following an illness.

He was born in Philadelphia on April 24, 1940 and was the son of the late Paul and Freda Nagle.  William was a computer engineer with Carter Mason of Malvern.   He enjoyed computers and being a ham radio operator.

Surviving is a step grandson, Mick Risbon, a sister, Sandy Reid of FL, two nieces, Lisa Bonaduce and Sharon Less both of PA and a nephew, Shawn Reidenbach of FL.  Also by eight great nieces and nephews and a great-great niece

Funeral service and interment will be private at the convenience of the family.

* Bill - W3DUQ.jpg (6.44 KB, 150x192 - viewed 565 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Dave KA2J
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »

Sorry to hear this.  I always enjoyed listening to and talking to Bill.  I'll miss his squeaky chair.

Dave KA2J
W2JTD

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »

RIP Uncle Willie. 

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the things you brought to the radio Bill.

End of an Era.

R.I.P.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »

Bill was always interesting. 

Actually, he's just outside,
looking in.

klc

What? Me worry?
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »

While its still up, a final shot of his QRZ.com information. 

W3DUQ USA flag USA

WILLIAM L NAGLE
237 ICEDALE RD
HONEY BROOK, PA 19344
USA

Email: w3duq@ptd.net

Ham Member Lookups: 3206

Biography
    Detail
    Logbook

AM operator. Interests include:EXOBIOLOGY/PHYSICS/COMPUTERS/SPIRITUAL Can be found in the AM window 3.870.3.890 mhz

Rev: W3DUQ - Mon May 31 9:05:01 1999 EUC: W3DUQ COAKDILDXFSSM-12388-1 w3duq@voicenet.com

40177 Last modified: 2011-01-21 21:22:02, 243 bytes

W2ZE
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »

Man, this is becoming an all too familiar theme. Cry

It's very weird because for no real reason I thought of Bill last night while reading in bed, and wondered how he was doing.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

Bill's inventiveness was his signature.  Many are aware of his early endeavors into synchronise detection.  He designed, built and wrote this article back in 1967 on his creation.

http://archive.org/stream/73-magazine-1967-09/09_September_1967#page/n6/mode/1up

Joe, GMS

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »

M,

" for no real reason I thought of Bill last night "

As Mr GMS posted; maybe its because of the sync. detector? I was going through my old 73s to find the piece.

klc

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »

Sad news.   Out of the blue.

We could always count on Bill for an interesting and friendly QSO.  When heard, I would rush to flip the switches to get on.  His Future Net, science and alien subjects were his signature.

I was lucky enough to know him from the early 70's and visit him in Icedale in the 90's.

The whirl has lost a very unique person.    Yes indeed - the end of an era.

RIP.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »

Just checked my Excel log sheet and no hits.  Sad, this is happening all to often

Heart felt sympathies to Bill's loved ones

Al
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »

Sad news. RIP Uncle Willie.
The man always had an interesting point of view.

Bill KA8WTK
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »

I think around the 70's, maybe early 80's, Bill was deep into the "Philadelphia Experiment."  He waxed almost poetically in his AM monologues about the field generators on destroyers in the harbor..   time travel consequences by Bill, long before the popularization and later TV programs caught on to the "Experiment."
  -Fascinating listening and AM QSO's to and with him. 

R.I.P. William.

I wonder if his family's related to the outfit that manufacturers or sells the Nagle oculars for telescopes?

RICK  *W3RSW*
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

That is very bad news, I used to love talking to and listening to Bill, and his friend who I forget, used to have the bunny in the house...

I remember Bill talking about the ft102 mods, and I even bought a few 102's to try them.
He always sounded great back when most did not sound so good...
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »

Truly sad to say goodbye to Bill -- in this incarnation at least. A unique mind and personality -- and great sounding voice and station.

If anyone has any recordings of Bill, please post them here. It would be most appreciated. All of mine were stolen from me.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »

So long Bill. I will always remember our conversations.

There is a recording of Bill and others long gone in the AM Audio Vault. Look for "AM Jamboree". Bills voice starts at about the 10:30 point.

http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=166

This link might get you there.

Larry
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »

rest in peace Bill, you will be missed
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

So long Bill. I will always remember our conversations.

There is a recording of Bill and others long gone in the AM Audio Vault. Look for "AM Jamboree". Bills voice starts at about the 10:30 point.

http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=166

This link might get you there.

Larry

Thanks, Larry! Lots of memories.

Kevin.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »

I had been thinking of Bill of late also. I think it was partly because of the passing of Frank/AHE and I was wondering how Bill was doing.

Bill was a legend but was always down to earth and just one of the crew. As Tom noted, he always had interesting things to talk about, most of which had little to do with radio. Yet, he knew his radio, electronics and computers. His sync detector design was very complex. He came up with excellent modifications for the FT-101, FT-102 and the FT1000. He was into Hi-Fi AM at a time when few others were (see his QSL card from 1957 below).

I recall first hearing Bill in 1976 on 75 meters. I was just learning about amateur radio as an SWL. The whole shortwave radio scene was fascinating to me. AMers on amateur radio were even more interesting and Bill was one of the most interesting and cool. I regularly tuned into his QSOs on 75 meters on Sunday afternoons. It was prime time listening for me.

Later I got to "meet" Bill when I got on the air and had many great conversations with him over the years. I'm glad I got to meet him in person at his Icedale home after the Timonium hamfest in the early/mid 1990s. I can thank JJ and Deano/KNX for talking me into making the trip.

I'm saddened that he's gone. So long Bill. You will be missed. RIP.

FT-102 Mods
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=32944.0

An NE602 Balanced Modulator
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=32949.0

FT-1000D Enhanced AM Modifications
http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/ft1000dmods.htm

* w3duqqsl57.jpg (42.82 KB, 500x300 - viewed 556 times.)
* w3duq1998.mp3 (183.21 KB - downloaded 214 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »

I never got to meet Bill, had that on my 'to do' list. Figured it would be a good trip to travel to meet him, visit 'GMS and the Vortex, maybe even track down the old N3JUH. Obviously didn't get it done soon enough.

His conversations were always interesting and Bill always seemed at ease, very laid back. I can't recall ever hearing him agitated in the least. Always enjoyed talking with him but perhaps even more enjoyed listening to him talk with Gary and a couple others (maybe Dave/'ZRF?) during the Future Net. I clearly remember hearing discussions of the Philadelphia Experiment in the late 80s/early 90s. Roswell, too. And plenty of other interesting stuff. There would be a group on 3.885 and just tune down a bit - there was Bill and the gang. Sunday afternoons, wasn't it?

It's been just about 2 years to the day that we lost Bill/KD0HG and Kim/KE3SX. Derb before that. Last December Bob aka Bacon checked out and of course, Frank is gone now too. At least Bill will be in good company. He and 'ZRF will have some catching up to do.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3LSN

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:07 PM »

Of all the unique characters connected to AM, Bill occupies a special place in the pantheon. I first heard him in the mid-70's on 75 meters with his hi-fi AM signal booming into the NYC area where I was living at the time.  He had a cuckoo clock, or some such device, which he used as a 10-minute timer for station ID, and of course the famous squeaky chair. I remember Bill talking about UFO's, the so-called Philadelphia Experiment, and also attempting telepathic experiments over the air with other hams.  He was always interesting, and this is a great loss.   RIP, Bill

Jim
WA2AJM/3
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 05:11:38 AM »

I received the news of the passing of Uncle Willy.  I was greatly saddened. I regarded Bill as one of my mentors. I first heard him on 75 meters back in the Summer of 1966 late Saturday night with Dave K3ZRF. I tried breaking in with my Crap box 40 transmitter.I was too piss weak to be heard. Dave heard me after Bill had signed.  I was a boot back then. I would always stay up late on Saturday nights . I had a bedside radio.A five tube Philco radio , all American 5 type that I converted into a receiver that received both 75& 40. I would listen in to the late night music QSOs that were allegedly Dave ZRF and Bill DUQ. Then came the FCC bust. Bill lost his license for one year. He had a huge sign off party in November of '67. I had my general by then. I went to the party. I met many people. It was a coming out for me. Bill and I forged a life long  friendship. When ever I was in a quandary  about some life issue I would call him on the phonium and run it by him. He would always give me his input. Through the years I had visited with him many times. The last time I saw Bill was in the late 90s.  Bill had been a big influence in my life .There are many more stories to tell. I would make a very long old buzzard transmission though. I feel like another piece of me has left.
Tim WA1HnyLR

W1JS

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »

73 Bill  Sad

* duq-with-lowenbrau.gif (650.96 KB, 1500x994 - viewed 784 times.)

* rockport-1971.gif (938.99 KB, 1500x958 - viewed 979 times.)

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »

73 Bill  Sad

Great picture Jack!  Never saw those before.  Is that Dave, K3ZRF on the lower row on the left? 
Can pick out the Tron but not sure about some of the others.

Joe, GMS

WB2CAU

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Wow, this is a real shock!  So sorry to hear of Bill's passing.  I first listened to Bill when I discovered AM was still alive on HF back in late 1976, despite what others had told me to the contrary.  At that time my Tech Class license only permitted me to operate AM on VHF.

After upgrading and getting on 75m AM in 1984, I'd spoken to Bill countless times but he was one of the few from the core group that I never had a chance to meet in person, unfortunately.  Probably because he rarely attended hamfests. 

Bill will be missed.  RIP my friend Bill.

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015