The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:28:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: European AM group on 3550  (Read 9431 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: January 23, 2005, 03:12:58 AM »

I regularly hear a French-speaking AM group on 3550, from around 0630 to 0800 GMT.  The stronger stations are about 50% readability here, but I have never been able to catch their callsigns.  Their French doesn't sound Canadian, and when I hear them, SSB QSO's from UK can just about always be heard with good readability, so I suspect they are French (or Swiss or Belgian).  Most of the conversation I am able to copy seems to be about radio (rigs, antennas, etc.).  I get best copy using the NNE beverage receiving antenna.

I have been hearing this AM activity on 3550 for several winters, but the stations never are strong enough here for me to copy their callsigns.  Maybe someone closer to their QTH could get an ID on these stations.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Dana WA1HUM
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 07:35:52 AM »

I have heard them also here in the northest Don. Kikewise can't get the calls though but sometimes they are quite loud.  Hey Don, last time I met you, you were the little short Southron guy going to school in Boston. I think it was the very early 70s.  Havn't met you since but looks like you got grey hair like I do.   lol

Dana
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »

Hmmm, I don't have anything listed in the Nets section of The AM Window Web Site for this frequency. I do have

3.615-Vintage and Amateur Radio Society (VMARS) Net-Saturday 8:30 AM-UTC-UK-www.vmars.org.uk

3.705-Netherlands the SRS (Surplus Radio Society) AM Net-Sunday 10:00 AM UTC-Netherlands

The latter group may speak French.

BTW, Don, I heard you on 160 last night. You were BOOMing into the SE VA area. Looks like 160 was pretty good last night too.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 12:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Dana WA1HUM
I have heard them also here in the northest Don. Kikewise can't get the calls though but sometimes they are quite loud.  Hey Don, last time I met you, you were the little short Southron guy going to school in Boston. I think it was the very early 70s.  Havn't met you since but looks like you got grey hair like I do.   lolDana

I used to see you at some of the ham radio gatherings and AM getogethers in the Boston area  1973-77, although I'm not sure if I'm the guy you're thinking of, however.  I lived in Cambridge and had a station set up with homebrew plate modulated xmtr, about 400 watts.  I didn't go to school there, though.  For several of those years I did field service work on Telautograph machines throughout the Boston area, including Logan airport, Mass General Hospital (AKA Massive Genitals), and many business/industrial sites throughout the area.  At that time I knew the streets of Boston and surrounding area  like the back of my hand.  The last time I was there, about a year ago, I couldn't find my way around anymone.

Telautograph machines electronically transmit handwritten messages by sending analog signals over phone lines to operate servomechanisms that reproduce the exact motions of the writing pen.  It was very interesting old buzzard technology, invented about the same time as the telephone and fine tuned with solid state electronics.  Not sure if there are many of them still in use today.  While I was working for the company they were starting to promote fax machines (real boat-anchor hernia-generating behemoths).

The company made me a job offer in Houston TX, and I accepted, but after 2 years, I had had enough heat, humidity and air pollution, so I quit the job and moved here in early 80 because I owned property in the area.  TN is about on the extreme southern edge of where I would ever care to live.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Dana WA1HUM
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:22:33 PM »

Yep Don that is what I remember.  I remember you working on those machines.  That was me you met allright.  I recall some parties of that era since your accent gave you away.  "You ain't from aroun here boy are ya?"

Dana
 :ctf:
Dana WA1HUM
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 02:24:11 PM »

Yep Don that is what I remember.  I remember you working on those machines.  That was me you met allright.  I recall some parties of that era since your accent gave you away.  "You ain't from aroun here boy are ya?"

Dana
 :ctf:
G3UUR

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 04:00:59 AM »

Don,

I've heard the AM net on 3550kHz, too.  It's a strange frequency to pick right in the middle of the CW segment of 80m.

I think they're all old-timers from the SW of France, with mainly two letter suffixes - possibly F5VV, F5PJ, F5PQ and an F1....   There's a coastal station on USB on 3550kHz that comes up quite regularly when the AM net is on, so it's hard follow what's being said.  They don't give callsigns very often, and usually pass the transmission on by using names - Marc, Guy, Christoph, etc.

BTW, Steve, you missed out the longest standing British 80m AM net - the 'Boat Anchors Net' on 3625kHz.  They're on there at 1600Z most afternoons, as well as 0930Z on Saturday mornings.

73 de Dave, G3UUR.

Dave,G3UUR
Vintage AM from the East of England
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »

Quote from: G3UUR
Don,

BTW, Steve, you missed out the longest standing British 80m AM net - the 'Boat Anchors Net' on 3625kHz.  They're on there at 1600Z most afternoons, as well as 0930Z on Saturday mornings.

73 de Dave, G3UUR.

TNX for the info Dave. I will add it to the nets database.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015