The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortwave Pirate stations  (Read 3746 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: October 31, 2014, 04:37:34 AM »

Anybody else here enjoy SWL'ing the Pirate stations that tend to broadcast on Halloween nights?  There has been quite a few already these last couple of weeks on the air and I imagine tonight will be a good night for such listening activities.

AMI#1684
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »

John - Where are you hearing the stations? I would like to try tuning them in.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:42:21 AM »

Brad, The stations tend to broadcast on 6.925 and 6.950 Mhz.   There has also been a pirate heard this week on 1720 Khz AM, just above the extended AM MW BC band from listeners from Michigan and in Florida so that guy must be have a pretty impressive station.

Most do broadcast in AM but some will use USB.  I tend to not care about the USB stations.    Also those frequencies are the most common but be sure to check all of 6.900 through 7.000 Mhz as well since this night might have a few at the same time!

I have been working this past week (night shift) and have not been able to do any listening but the SWL facebook group has been reporting on them.  Halloween has always been a big pirate night and I'm off tonight so I'm hoping to catch some!!  

For the record I don't condone pirate activity in the ham bands but am fascinated by the ones that broadcast in MW and SW outside the ham bands.  They usually have pretty interesting "programming" with comedy, politics and rock and roll (a lot of 60s stuff).  Most of the programming is as "pro" sounding as licensed stations.

AMI#1684
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

A new legitimate SW broadcaster takes to the air tonight on 9395 KHz:

http://about.global24radio.com/programs/

Might even play a bit of good hi-fi AM music... Cheesy

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »

It seems like in the 'old days' pie-rat SW broadcasts were more tolerated on Holidays or perhaps the FCC just didn't bother on Halloween, knowing that night was what it was... Who can say. Can't they pretty easily triangulate today?  I would not want the arrows to point to my square mile and be the only one with a decent skywire. Not worth breaking the law for.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kd1nw
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »

I enjoyed the organ music on 3.875 tonight plus sure I see if I can hear something on 6.925 but usually they are PW. But, I'll hang in there longer for the 6.925 guys.. not sure where they are from but maybe they have to pack up their station or something so they are 25 watts?
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »

Unfortunately I have s9 + 20db noise floor on 6.900 through 7 tonight... but that new Global 24 is +30db here in Louisiana on 9.395 Mhz.

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015