The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Frank-KB3AHE  (Read 49253 times)
wa2dtw

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »

The news I had been dreading.  My sincerest condolences to his family and all his many friends.  Frank was truly a real gem of a human being.  The AM community will never again be the same.
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »

.-. . ... - / .. -. / .--. . .- -.-. . / ..-. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.- / .... . .- .-. - ..-. . .-.. - / -.-. --- -. -.. --- .-.. . -. -.-. . ... / - --- / -.-. .- .-. --- .-.. / .- -. -.. / .... .. ... / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. -.-- .-.-.-

RSWL.................
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »

To an on-air pal and a truly interesting person..

-Respect the man-

R.I.P.

Jeff W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »

Talking with him on Monday proved to me he was at peace with this. It really spoke of his deep faith for without it such peace isn't possible.
He will be missed but in my heart always.

Till we meet....old friend!

All my prayers for you Carol.
W2ZE
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »

Very sad news indeed...

Frank and Carol were very welcoming to myself and Kim when we moved from NY to MD 7 years ago. His post Timonium party's are the stuff of legend, and the Friday night break in sessions of years past are some of the most memorable nights I have of Amateur Radio in my lifetime. He was always giving of advice and just real down to earth.

He will be missed and always remembered.

Mike W2ZE
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

RIP Frank. You were a man who added a lot to the hobby.
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W8EJO

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »

Frank and I only met once.

We had "known" each other only through AMFONE posts and occasional PM's and e-mails. His friendly personality emanated from his messages and when I needed a favor from someone in Baltimore I felt comfortable asking Frank. He, of course, was happy to help me out.

I had purchased a radio from a fellow in Baltimore. The seller wouldn't ship & I couldn't get to Baltimore for several months. Frank agreed to pick it up & hold it until I could get there.

When I finally got to Baltimore we met at his job. He brought out the radio and then we stood in the parking lot talking radios and cars for several hours like we were long lost buddies.

When it was finally time to leave I drove away feeling that I'd just found a friend.

I'm glad I asked him for that favor.

RIP Frank

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »

I thought I would share from Facebook:

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I announce the passing of one of the most influential men in my life, Frank Esposito. He passed away at home today surrounded by friends. I miss him already and think that heaven is gaining one heck of a mechanical, electrical and automotive engineer. -- Rick, N3HIYay (A for the noobs Smiley)

Total loss for words I came back from the plant today to find a good friend of mine had lost his battle with cancer Frank Esposito was a good friend for 20 plus years and there wasn't much he couldn't do auto mechanics , electronics , cooking are just a few of his crafts he was a friend a husband to Carol a Ham Radio operator among other things he was one of the best people I've ever known Rip -- Dave, N3MIR

I'm glad several have confirmed that Frank was at peace with God. That makes me feel a whole lot better knowing I will see him again sometime. I don't understand why God does these things to people that don't deserve it,  but I'll accept His will, and His judgment over mine.

My only regret is that I didn't call him in his last days. I've been meaning to call for 2 weeks and just haven't gotten home early enough to give him a ring.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »

The dreaded news we've been expecting. Frank's trial is over and he is home. May God bless Carol and family until you're all together again.

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
Good-Dog
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »

RIP Frank. Thank You for inviting me to your home, taking the time to get to know me and me you. I am very proud to call you my friend. The "What's for Dinner net" will never be the same.
Al
W3GD
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »

Really bummed about losing a fine fellow ham, a great friend, and an all around outstanding man.  Miss ya, bud....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K2PG

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »

Horrible, horrible news. I rarely spoke to Frank on the air...most of my AM activity was on 160 while he used other bands. But I well remember those great gatherings we would have on the Saturday of the Timonium Hamfest.

My condolences to Carol.

R.I.P., Frank
Phil K2PG
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »

I had the good fortune to talk with Frank many times with his screen modulated 4-1000 rig which was build very well. I regret that I never made it to any of his party's but seeing the video from 2008, it seems that everyone was having a great time and Frank & his wife were loving it...

RIP Frank.....

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »

I am very sorry to hear of Frank's passing.  I didn't know him very well, but I talked with him a few times over the years on AM, of course.  Frank always sounded like he was having a great time and enjoying life!  A great measure of a man is how he is remembered, appreciated and praised by his friends after he has left this earth.  Frank certainly had many friends and touched many lives in a very positive and lasting way.  He will certainly be missed.

Rest in Peace "Slab Bacon"

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »

I just got off the phone with Franks wife Carol.  She mentioned that there will be two services.  One will be at their church in Baltimore and a second celebration party will be held not at their QTH but a banquet hall of sort.  At this point she is just sorting things out in her head and does not have a date for either event yet, but it looks like it will be out at least a couple of weeks from now. 

I will keep everyone posted as soon as the dates are set. 

Joe - W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2JRO

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »

Those "celebration" type events for the recently departed are becoming more popular...and I think it is wonderful.

We had one this summer for a great aunt who died at 96... she had died in the late winter and specifically wanted no formal services and preferred this type of event.

The event was well attended, picnic style and very nice.. Enough time passed  so that there were more smiles and laughs than tears.
And that's exactly the way my great aunt, and I would guess most, would want it.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Sad news, very sad. Frank was always helpful and willing to assist others whenever there was a need. I'll miss hearing his voice and his sense of humor on the WFD net down on 3.730 in the evenings. Rest in peace Frank and my condolences to Carol.

A brief video with strong signals on 3.730 from Frank - KB3AHE, Derb - N3DRB, and Rick - W3RSW on a cold evening in November of 2009. As I recall, Frank had just finished up repairs to Derb's Gonset linear that Derb was using on its maiden run with an FT-101 running AM linear. Frank and Rick were asking Derb about some of the loading parameters he was using and of course this entailed such technical terms as "monkey swing" by Derb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2iJAEWyDQQ

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »

I didn't know Frank was well as some here did, having first met him at Gaithersburg about a decade ago. But I still have a great sense of loss at his passing. Skip touched on it when he spoke of Frank's other interests. Frank was a wealth of knowledge. And he had the hands-on experience to back it up. He was always ready to help others. Of all the discussions and email exchanges we had, few were about radio. Most were about old engines, generators, machine shop work and so on. He got me back on the straight and narrow several times when dealing with my old John Deere and a 1943 Onan genset.

As Steve said, words cannot begin to explain the loss. He'll be in good company with Derb, Dave, Bill, Kim, and others.

Thanks to you, Johnny, for helping out Carol and Frank in their time of need. Not an easy task in the best of times, and you pulled it off in one of the most difficult.

Peace be with you, Frank. And God be with you Carol through this time and beyond.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Warm Memories.   --Others from you all?
Frank and Carol in left rear.
This was at Steve's QTH before he moved to Va.

* Huz party Grp Timonium 01 best.jpg (116.56 KB, 896x592 - viewed 754 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »

When Frank was having some health issues and felt he could not hold his usually food fest event after the Timonium Fester, we all got together at a local restaurant to treat Derb, N3DRB since he himself was having some major health issues. 

Frank was in great spirits as usual and someone snapped a picture of him and I at the event.  It will be a picture I will always cherish.   

It took me a very long time to find this picture, but I was determined to find it!   

Joe-W3GMS 

* Frank KB3AHE (R) Joe W3GMS (L)-A .jpg (99.56 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 723 times.)

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »

Here is a great shot of Vortex Joe-N3IBX with his good friend Frank.  That is Franks wife Carol in the photo as well. 

Joe, GMS

* n3ibx-Kb3ahe wide eyed night ops.JPG (298.36 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 729 times.)

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »

A picture set would not be complete without one of Derb-N3DRB (SK) and Frank-KB3AHE (SK). 

These guys were the absolute best of friends.   

Joe - GMS

* N3DRB-AHE.jpg (59.49 KB, 640x440 - viewed 727 times.)

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »

..and more Joe, that I took from Fallfest 03

The W3F shack showing Frank and Carol again , his 4x1 screen modulated rig, and a gorgeous SX-88. Check out the Vortex shirt.

Almost Rock Midnight.  -Speaks volumes about the happy, tired
 ops waiting for The Magic Hour.

* W3F shack.jpg (487.41 KB, 1285x1024 - viewed 710 times.)

* almost rock midnight.jpg (118.1 KB, 1041x625 - viewed 670 times.)

* Frank listens SX88.jpg (284.03 KB, 937x845 - viewed 633 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »

Here is a picture of what was Frank's Station.  He had a nice layout of gear.  Most of the times I worked him he was using his HB 4-1000 screen modulated rig which is shown below. 

Joe, GMS     

* CCI10312014_0000.jpg (209.54 KB, 1054x1489 - viewed 649 times.)

* CCI10312014_0001.jpg (393.99 KB, 1738x1166 - viewed 624 times.)

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

I too am saddened by the news of Frank's passing.  I remember him well from the good old Gaithersburg/FAR-Fest days back in the 90s.

My condolences to Carol.

Michael, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015