The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTL-SDR  (Read 5982 times)
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »

I'm thinking of getting an SDR (Rec only) (Example Here) Since it has no mute capabilities I was wondering if transmitting in close proximity of one will fry it? I will be using a T/R relay but there will still be a large amount of RF close to the receiver's front end via the open contact. Is this OK?. I also thought of using a DPDT relay to short the SDR's input to ground while transmitting, or use a resistor to pull it to ground. What would be the best route if any at  all? Would it be best to use 2 antennas?

Also; I'll be using Linux. Has anyone played with GQRX?

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »

Hi:

I have not used that unit, but this one:

http://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-mini-rtl2832-r820t.html

This unit covers under 60MHz to 1.2Gigs. No HF. Pretty insensitive. Can pick up nearby FM broadcast stations, and HT's with the supplied antenna. I tried gprx and sdrsharp, but these did not work. Installed HDRSDR (http://www.hdsdr.de/), which worked.

I bet the unit you reference has a built in upconverter and possibly a preamp.

Dan
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »

Its easy to just short the antenna input to ground.
In some cases, I put a relay right at the receiver, in a small box, it can be a very small relay, to ground the antenna and short the audio to ground.

My sdr-iq is fine with the regular TR relay setup which grounds the RX antenna port on TX but I still need to mute the computer audio output with a relay.
Plenty of signal get through to the sdr to display my TX signal, which is nice.

n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

Cool, thanks,

Adding a small relay to short the input is not an issue. I can use the onboard T/R to trigger an RX shorting relay.

Also, I tried HDSDR on Linux, using Wine and it works.. At least the software does, I don't have an SDR to test it yet, but I'll be looking into that within the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll have something saved up before the ebay supply runs out.

I just found a kit that includes a small 9:1 balun and a VHF/UHF antenna. If worse comes to worse I can string a wire around the apt. for receive. It's only got a few days to expire but I'm sure they will relist if not all are sold. If not there's plenty more suppliers.

The kit will be shipping from China though.  Sometimes that in itself can take 2-3 weeks to get here. It depends on how backed up customs is. I've bought from China before, and sometimes it flies right through, other times it seems to take forever just sitting there for days or weeks.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KY4SP

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »

My son bought a "Nooelec" unit and a small upconverter that works with it to receive HF. With HDSDR , it works remarkably well considering the whole thing was about $70. The performance was (to my ears anyway) comparable to or maybe a bit better than my FT-920.

I hooked it up using the receive antenna port on the 920, and it suffered no ill effects with legal limit power on TX. My guess is that grounding the antenna input will probably be more than enough protection.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:09 AM »

I am enjoying SDR again, this time with a SoftRock Ensemble II. I have set up my computer to use HDSDR or a modified version of Flex SDR 2.4.4. The Ensemble is a complete radio for the HF bands. The sensitivity is about equal to my TS850. I can inject a sig gen freq at -107dBm and I definitely see it in the band scope. And calibrated too!
I do not have any "supported" sound cards for the Flex software and I get satisfactory results. I bought a nice USB sound card that gives a better noise floor. $8.95 from Amazon.
I have set up my station using a second T/R relay to give me a somewhat isolated receive port. There have been no more accidents of transmitting into the R390A. The incoming signal is strong but I do not think it is overloading the front end of the Ensemble.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1FVB

VB Radio

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »

I've not seen it mentioned, but Linrad is a great choice under Linux as well:
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

vbradio.wordpress.com
KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

I am enjoying SDR again, this time with a SoftRock Ensemble II. I have set up my computer to use HDSDR or a modified version of Flex SDR 2.4.4. The Ensemble is a complete radio for the HF bands. The sensitivity is about equal to my TS850. I can inject a sig gen freq at -107dBm and I definitely see it in the band scope. And calibrated too!
I do not have any "supported" sound cards for the Flex software and I get satisfactory results. I bought a nice USB sound card that gives a better noise floor. $8.95 from Amazon.
I have set up my station using a second T/R relay to give me a somewhat isolated receive port. There have been no more accidents of transmitting into the R390A. The incoming signal is strong but I do not think it is overloading the front end of the Ensemble.
Fred
Fred...I have an Ensemble II as well...I have it hooked to a separate rx antenna.....I short the antenna terminal for tx and I can still see my own tx pattern on the screen.....Some bands require  reduction of  the sensitivity as well.....
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »

Anyone have some specifications for this unit?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »

Anyone have some specifications for this unit?

Google is your friend: http://www.wb5rvz.org/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015