The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:45:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter AM in Lansing, Mi area  (Read 10636 times)
KF7DYU

« on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »

Is there anyone in the Lansing Mi area that is operating on 2 meter AM?

I have a couple of "Twoer's" I am restoring and would like to know if there is anyone in the area that I might be able to have a QSO with when I finish them.

Hope to hear from someone.

72/73
Adrian KF7DYU
adrianjamesflynn@gmail.com
n4joy

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:10 AM »

Hello, Adrian.

I wish I was closer.  I'm also very interested in starting some two meter AM activity in my area.  My primary 2 meter AM rig is a Gonset GC-105 and the antenna will be an eight element quad up 35'.  AM on this band will be a challenge but don't give up.   Some good advice on the forum was to call CQ on the SSB region of the band plan.  You may get someone's attention.   
W6ZKH

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »

Ahh yes.... 2M AM.... well, back in the late 60's, early 70's, before repeaters here, we use to work 2M AM RTTY between Visalia and Fresno, as the crow flies, about 40 miles.  But that was very marginal signal path, so what we would do is use Morro Rock in Sequoia National Park, a giant Monolith of a rock as a Passive Repeater.  Bouncing our signals off that rock, we could maintain really good conditions, except if it was snowing up there, then it would go to heck for sure.  Once we built our 2M RTTY repeaters up and down the San Joaquin Valley here, all linked, we quit using AM.  My AM rig was an Ameco TX-62.  At least it was a challenge back in those days.  I know of no 2M or 6M AM activity in this area anymore, but I still have rigs that can do it...

John W6ZKH
Cen CA
n4joy

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »

I have an Ameco TX-62 on the bench and the matching VFO.  Great transmitter.  That is the problem with 2 and 6 meter AM: everyone seems to have the equipment (lots of Gonsets and such in storage) but absolutely no activity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015