The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Visit to Peterson Radio and Surplus Sales of Nebraska  (Read 4751 times)
ka1bwo

« on: October 19, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »

My wife and I went on a road trip to see her cousin in Illinois . On the way back we stayed  in Council Bluffs, Iowa. First  I called Peterson Radio but no answer so I went to their address. Business hours were still posted next to the door. A Asian women who was living in the building  answered the door and didn't know anything about PR and didn't speak much English. I remember buying crystals from PR back in the day which always smelt like cigarette smoke.  My next stop over the river to Omaha to find Surplus Sales of Nebraska located on 1218 Nicholas St. Its located in a kind of run down factory building with security like Fort Knox. I used the intercom next to the door
to ask if they had a show room the women at the other end said NO and they only do pick up if you order on line first. Here are a few photos of Surplus Sales
Joe

* IMGA0474.JPG (2344.62 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 495 times.)
ka1bwo

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »

photo 2

* IMGA0473.JPG (2151.38 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 395 times.)
ka1bwo

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »

photo 3

* IMGA0475.JPG (2174.97 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 427 times.)
KD0HUX

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:52:17 AM »

I am across the river in OMAHA NEBRASKA  from COUNCIL BLUFFS  IOWA.  I called and left a least 20 messages no answer.                                                                                                                       I was told by his former friend that Mr Peterson has passed on  years ago Sad .                                    Nebraska Surplus Sales has been that way for years at night that can be a very Embarrassed seedy  Embarrassedarea.  Only a few hams that know the owner can get in  I am told. I have placed orders over the phone before.  Sorry you wasted your time.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »

I am across the river in OMAHA NEBRASKA  from COUNCIL BLUFFS  IOWA.  I called and left a least 20 messages no answer.                                                                                                                       I was told by his former friend that Mr Peterson has passed on  years ago Sad .                                    Nebraska Surplus Sales has been that way for years at night that can be a very Embarrassed seedy  Embarrassedarea.  Only a few hams that know the owner can get in  I am told. I have placed orders over the phone before.  Sorry you wasted your time.

I have heard similar strange things about Surplus Sales. I am not that rich to buy much from Surplus, I have ordered a few times in my life from them, and the items are priced high, and look almost new.
I think they get a lot of goodies from Area 51
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »

Can't you get snails at home?
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »

Joe,

Its kind of a shame that SS has to treat people with such arrogance.   Ok, so they don't take walk in trade but that could at least have a little better demeanor, especially when a visitor may have bought items from them in the past.  It does not cost any money to be polite   Wink.   

Yes, I have bought many XTALs over the years from PR.  Its a shame the the owner has passed on but that does happen! 

While you were in the area it would have been neat to see the old WRL building.  Not sure if the building is still standing or not.  WRL and B&A were my favorite mail order places when I was a kid. 

Joe, GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ka1bwo

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for all the info about PR and SS very interesting. I was in town so I took a
shot in the dark.
ka1bwo

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »

Joe,

Its kind of a shame that SS has to treat people with such arrogance.   Ok, so they don't take walk in trade but that could at least have a little better demeanor, especially when a visitor may have bought items from them in the past.  It does not cost any money to be polite   Wink.  

Yes, I have bought many XTALs over the years from PR.  Its a shame the the owner has passed on but that does happen!  

Hi Joe,
I agree about SS its all about the Money! Their prices are insane on most items.  I did know about the Leo Meyerson collection that was in the Western Heritage Museum in Omaha . But of lately  the collection has been sold off  what a shame.
I have a few more photos of the SS.
Joe

While you were in the area it would have been neat to see the old WRL building.  Not sure if the building is still standing or not.  WRL and B&A were my favorite mail order places when I was a kid.  

Joe, GMS    

* IMGA0471.JPG (2172.68 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 385 times.)
ka1bwo

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »

next photo

* IMGA0472.JPG (2064.03 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 418 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »

Joe,
Hi Joe,
I agree about SS its all about the Money! Their prices are insane on most items.  I did know about the Leo Meyerson collection that was in the Western Heritage Museum in Omaha . But of lately  the collection has been sold off  what a shame.
Joe
While you were in the area it would have been neat to see the old WRL building.  Not sure if the building is still standing or not.  WRL and B&A were my favorite mail order places when I was a kid.  
Joe, GMS    

That is a shame concerning what happened to all the gear that was donated to the Western Heritage Museum.  When Martha and I traveled cross country a bunch of years back, we stopped and all that was there was a lot of train stuff.  I ran into the curator and he told me it was a rotating display and was all packed away.  After that, it was never to be seen again.  I wonder what happened to Leo's plan he had started?   I guess once you give something away don't assume it will be used in a way that it was represented or promised to be used.   I wonder who pocketed the money? 

Joe, GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »

Shame how they are set up. When I was planning my legendary photo essay of October 2011 - "Surplus Stores of the Western Continental United States", SS of N told me that they are set up as a mail order warehouse and have no customer areas.

As consolation, I could offer only that (incomplete) photo essay, as linked below, of public-friendly places to shop.
http://bunkerofdoom.com/travel/2011oct/index.html

- and these individual ones from other pilgrimages:
http://bunkerofdoom.com/travel/nm2010/20100603/b/index.html
http://bunkerofdoom.com/mock/index.html
http://bunkerofdoom.com/travel/steelsoldiers2/20071002a/index.html

and there is also:
http://www.surplussalespa.com/catalog/

At least have a look, these other places would be FB on other trips. There are more, that have not been posted. soon..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »

Joe,
Hi Joe,
Joe
Joe, GMS    

That is a shame concerning what happened to all the gear that was donated to the Western Heritage Museum.  When Martha and I traveled cross country a bunch of years back, we stopped and all that was there was a lot of train stuff.  I ran into the curator and he told me it was a rotating display and was all packed away.  After that, it was never to be seen again.  I wonder what happened to Leo's plan he had started?   I guess once you give something away don't assume it will be used in a way that it was represented or promised to be used.   I wonder who pocketed the money? 

Joe, GMS   
The relatives of the ones who pocketed the money from the Texas Broadcast Museum. It shocks me a bit but I won't make a judgment. We tried to start a DEC museum, got many beautiful things. Failed after about 6 years no funds, gave up. We offered very publicly to give all the stuff back to the donors and that can be seen/proven in usenet and old e-mails. At least there is that. All I can say is that museums of 'stuff' are very costly. There is storage, and there is display space, and furniture, and generally the display space has to be in a high rent area for success, but not always. Then you need at least one person to just about live there, and that is a wage to be paid. Best bet is a partially occupied building with owners who like your items to be displayed and who need a tax write off to donate space. of course you can be out on the street in 30-90 days should anything whatsoever happen. business is business. Museums are not hobbies except for the rich and the establishments. They are businesses.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015