The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new toy: R-392/URR Collins made :)  (Read 43057 times)
wavebourn
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

Nice tower, Julius, looks like Santa Claus! :-)
W2JBL

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 12:55:58 AM »

nice catch there on the R392, Tolly! don't have one here but it's on the wish list. great stuff- built to help stop communism and anybody that gets in our (USA's) way. HI Buddly! welcome back, and glad you made it down that tower ok. hope you helped those folks down there get THE MESSAGE out with more strap! but seriously, on the techy side- my father built a few receivers and converters using those "12 volt plate" tubes years ago, and he got amazing results with them. too bad the tubes are so hard to find these days. American AM car radios used them in the 50's, as well as some AM marine radios.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 01:36:52 AM »

Tolly,

I used an R-392 for years.  The selectivity was great.  I could hear stuff nobody else could hear.  Sensitivity was not the very best, but a preamp would fix that.  It was fine for the lower bands like 160, 80 and 40 meters, and I even used it up on 10.  It operated on the edge of intermodulation, but it worked pretty darn well.

You can replace the triodes they use for mixers with MPF-102 fets.  I went into mine and messed around with the BFO circuitry because there wasn't enough BFO insertion to demodulate SSB very well.  Also the BFO pulled a little bit with signal, but that stopped when I slipped a shield between the IF output and the BFO.  I used a lid from a small soup can, as I recall.

I modified the AGC switch for slow and fast AGC.  Fast was good for AM, slow was good for CW and SSB.  It just switched in a big capacitor on the AGC line, 1uF if I recall.

The audio section is not too good.  High frequency audio is affected by the volume setting because of cable capacitance and the high impedance of the volume control.  I put a small capacitor between the top of the pot and the wiper to minimize this effect.  I took the 1/2 watt output audio and fed it to a hi-fi amp for more audio output.  You might want to take lower level audio out, because the audio output transformer is really weak at the low end.  I added negative feedback, but the bottom was not great.

I don't have the receiver or the list of mods any more. I gave the receiver to someone a few years back, but I think he has since died, and I have no idea where the receiver and manual went.

Bacon

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W1GFH
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:26 AM »

Quote from: Bacon, WA3WDR

The audio section is not too good.  High frequency audio is affected by the volume setting because of cable capacitance and the high impedance of the volume control.  I put a small capacitor between the top of the pot and the wiper to minimize this effect.  I took the 1/2 watt output audio and fed it to a hi-fi amp for more audio output.  You might want to take lower level audio out, because the audio output transformer is really weak at the low end.  I added negative feedback, but the bottom was not great.

Yes Tolly, this recvr was meant for use with headset in T-62 Tank or battle with MiG's, not pleasant AM listening. You need to make modifying magic!
wavebourn
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 02:26:49 AM »

As I said, I'll fire both AM and SSB detectors and AF. I hope they'll be well on a pension. Cheesy

Thanks for th info Bacon!
xe1yzy

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »

Tolly

the r392 is the couple of the T-195 transmitter, togheter make one of the most handsome military rig EVER the AN/GRC-19.
unfortunatly I cant post an inamge here, but if you like I can send you the pic via e-mail.

or browse in the net for the AN/GRC-19

Saludos!

TVI WHAT TVI?
W1GFH
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 01:13:45 PM »

R392...the handsome military radio?

wavebourn
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 01:47:32 PM »

Gracias Pedro!   :grin:

Who'sdatguy, Joe?  :mrgreen:
W1GFH
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 01:58:51 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn

Boris Grebenshikov of Aquarium.
wavebourn
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH

Boris Grebenshikov of Aquarium.

Wow! I did not recognize him, too young and sober on the photo! :lol:
W1GFH
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »

I know he's older now, but is he drunk too?
kz0e

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:19 PM »

A buddhist friend of mine died last year and during the vigil with the body, which I attended for a while, they were playing this haunting music that stuck with me, finally picked up the cd this weekend and for a while I could not figure out where I recognised Boris'es name from. Anyway, here's some of what Boris has been up to lately, new age Tibetan buddhist chanting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007MXD/qid=1106589993/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-3176607-2401701?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
wavebourn
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 01:32:45 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH

I know he's older now, but is he drunk too?

I was a bit, it's photo from a New Year party. :lol:
W1GFH
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »

Quote from: kz0e
A buddhist friend of mine died last year and during the vigil with the body, which I attended for a while, they were playing this haunting music that stuck with me, finally picked up the cd this weekend and for a while I could not figure out where I recognised Boris'es name from. Anyway, here's some of what Boris has been up to lately, new age Tibetan buddhist chanting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007MXD/qid=1106589993/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-3176607-2401701?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Boris was called "the Russian Bob Dylan" so I guess it's appropriate he ends up singing religious songs.
wavebourn
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2005, 06:03:16 PM »

I received it today. Inside looks complete except tube pullers.
Checked 26A6 tubes, one appeared with shortcut between cathode and filament. Going to replace them by 6BJ6.
wavebourn
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2005, 11:52:06 PM »

Last news:
I have a trouble; there are some 6V tubes (why?) where 26A6 could work well, so I need to rewire filaments... Toobs on the AF deck are Ok, but there are couple of them inside of the crystal oscillator. Who knows how to remove it? I am afraid it is possible only when the entire FR desk is removed. Am I right?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015