The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new toy: R-392/URR Collins made :)  (Read 43356 times)
wavebourn
« on: January 19, 2005, 06:06:39 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5744624842
xe1yzy

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »

Nice bid Wavebourn,  your nick are  Quetzalcoatl? that means in Nahuatl "snake with feathers" , a famous Aztec god.

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:21:10 PM »

Good score, Tolly!

As you probably know that radio is unique in that it uses 28volts B+ on the plates of the toobs.  No high voltage present at all.

Some had military mods for a solid-state audio section.  The only downside is that some of the toobs are pretty much unique to this radio and are a bit hard to find.  Still, they tend to last almost forever since there's no stress at all on them.

It's 90% of an R-390 for a lot less - and it's smaller, too.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wavebourn
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »

Quote from: xe1yzy
Nice bid Wavebourn,  your nick are  Quetzalcoatl? that means in Nahuatl "snake with feathers" , a famous Aztec god.

He was the 1'st teacher on the continent. The nickname simbolizes my attitude, I am extremely humble man! Smiley
I believe, after the Great Flood some survivors kept highly developed technology. They tried to teach the rest of the survivors...
wavebourn
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 07:27:15 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
Good score, Tolly!

As you probably know that radio is unique in that it uses 28volts B+ on the plates of the toobs.  No high voltage present at all.

Some had military mods for a solid-state audio section.  The only downside is that some of the toobs are pretty much unique to this radio and are a bit hard to find.  Still, they tend to last almost forever since there's no stress at all on them.

It's 90% of an R-390 for a lot less - and it's smaller, too.

73 John

Thanks Jonny! I pray it is not broken inside, since some aluminum corners are broken outside...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »

I knew a ham who had many R-392's and I got to check them out closely. They are quite the compact machine mechanically and designed near the peak of USA tube engineering technology.

I would add a product detector and take the audio right off the diode detector [and product detector]  into a hi-fi stereo amplifier and big speakers.

Have fun cleaning, aligning and molesting it, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
wavebourn
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 07:31:47 PM »

Thanks Thomas!
I'll take pictures.
I want to add new detectors, double ballanced.
By the way, does anybody have spare plugs for it?
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »

Tolly,
  The radio probably is very clean inside. The radio was essentially water proofed! I'll check with a guy I know who has a couple that I think are for parts. There is another fellow to contact for the power and audio connectors. (I have been a customer, and have NO peculinary interest in his sales.) You can contact him through his web page at
http://www.wa5cab.com  I have purchased other military parts from him in rhe past.

Enjoy the new toy!

Bill KA8WTK
wavebourn
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 07:49:24 PM »

Thanks Bill!
But his site does not offer such plugs.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 09:10:43 PM »

Send him an e-mail. He doesn't list that much of what he has. I bought a couple of items from hin for a BC-669 and even some paint, none of which were on the web page.

PS- I will see the guy with the other 392's this weekend and I will ask him about the items.

Bill KA8WTK
wavebourn
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 09:42:08 PM »

Thanks again Billy!

BTW, heh... What if to split B+ and filament, and install 6BJ6, 6BU6 and 6BE6 into the same sockets? Wink
Interesting idea... In such case it will be possible to play with B+ voltage to increase performances... Wink
W1GFH
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 10:56:59 PM »

Holy Shite, Tolly. You got your work cut out for you with those plugs. You like a challenge, eh?  :grin:
wavebourn
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH
Holy Shite, Tolly. You got your work cut out for you with those plugs. You like a challenge, eh?  :grin:

No, I did not get the box with the receiver yet, continue torturing BC-348! :lol:

http://www.wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2210#2210
Ott

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 12:55:33 AM »

Quote from: wavebourn

No, I did not get the box with the receiver yet, continue torturing BC-348! :lol:

http://www.wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2210#2210

Wow Tolly...

Was looking around your website and found some truly amazing pix in amongst the radio stuff...

http://www.wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164

some of the shots looks like scenes from Lord of the Rings... a lot more than radio going on over there to be sure... artsy, neat stuff...
wavebourn
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 02:29:26 AM »

I don't know who took the picture, some user posted it.

It is beautiful.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »

Hey Anatolly, how is studying for the test coming?
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 09:55:06 AM »

Hey Anatolly how is studying for the test coming?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 10:05:24 AM »

Tolly,
       The best of luck with your R-392. Once you get it going I think you'll find it a much superior performer to your BC-348. You're gonna love it!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 12:13:04 PM »

tolly,
I had a nice clean one once but was un able to find tubes. I almost solid stated it but lost interest. This is a great RX when working correctly.
I have seen people add mechanical filters to the IF. The skirts are a bit broad. The audio output tube should be the first to go. Very Rare.
The Plate voltage comes out a different pin than the rest of the radio. I've heard of people running higher plate voltages. it should be clean inside.
KG2IR has a nice clean unit in the back of his hummer.
wavebourn
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 12:52:37 PM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO
Hey Anatolly, how is studying for the test coming?

Thanks Jim, I'm getting experience now browsing bands! I never study for the test, I always study for real usage.

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Tolly,
       The best of luck with your R-392. Once you get it going I think you'll find it a much superior performer to your BC-348. You're gonna love it!

Thank you Joe! I will compare and post results! Cheesy

Quote from: WA1GFZ
tolly,
I had a nice clean one once but was un able to find tubes. I almost solid stated it but lost interest.

I'll go by another way, substituting tubes with their originals instead of 26V modifications.

This is a great RX when working correctly.
I have seen people add mechanical filters to the IF. The skirts are a bit broad. The audio output tube should be the first to go. Very Rare.
The Plate voltage comes out a different pin than the rest of the radio. I've heard of people running higher plate voltages. it should be clean inside.
KG2IR has a nice clean unit in the back of his hummer.

Thanks a lot for the info!
W1GFH
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 02:06:05 PM »

Tolly, you will sing the praises of that receiver...

wavebourn
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 02:18:12 PM »

Tolly, you will sing the praises of that receiver...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
W1GFH
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 02:50:12 PM »

...and Jim is right, you need to study for the test so you may join us in this exotic hobby.

wavebourn
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 02:53:06 PM »

:doubt:

I prefer this one.  :cool:

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 03:17:46 PM »

Tolly .... you play guitar Huh
Neat !!

Enjoy the 392.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print