The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which National reciever  (Read 3841 times)
W3BH
Jim

« on: September 03, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

Hi all,

I need some help identifying this National receiver. It appears to be very close to an NC-57, but has an HRO type dial.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
W3BH

* nc-57.jpg (7.75 KB, 233x158 - viewed 422 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

It also looks somewhat like a NC-33.   As you said and its true for the NC-33 as well, either have an HRO dial.  Whats in the middle of your receiver?  It almost look like a frequency calibration chart.  Behind that chart,  is there a window type dial?  National did a lot of one offs, so this may have been one of those.  Your picture is not that great so its hard for me to match up the knobs vs. switches on the lower bottom edge of the receiver.  The NC-57 has 9 tubes whereas the NC-33 has only 5.  Its certainly possible that National retrofitted the HRO dial for some specific reason and for some specific customer. 

Very interesting! 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »

That is a National HFS (successor to the 1-10).

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »

That is a National HFS (successor to the 1-10).

Thanks Rodger for supplying that information.  I should have figured that out since I have the 1-10! 

Joe, W3GMS

WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »

Hi Joe,

They both look cool but I think the 1-10 played a useful role when it came out while the later HFS is more of a "solution looking for a problem".  I ended up with both receivers in a group of stuff I picked up at a hamfest several years ago.

Rodger WQ9E
W3BH
Jim

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

Thanks Pete,

You're spot on with HFS it appears. Looks like you got the ad out of a Radio Amateurs Handbook. It was not in any of my handbooks, though because they were either too old or too new.

The receiver is in a lot that includes (yet another) SX-40A and some other stuff. I have 4 National receivers and just wondered whether I should buy it or not. They want $150 for the lot. Like many of us, I have too many 'unrestored' receivers as it is. But this one is intriguing (what I always tell my wife). I wonder if it has more than one coil set - the usual problem.

Many thanks for the reply Peter and also thanks to Joe who replied on the same thread.

I appreciate the help.

Jim

* NC_SX.jpg (70.28 KB, 758x563 - viewed 464 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »

Hi Joe,

They both look cool but I think the 1-10 played a useful role when it came out while the later HFS is more of a "solution looking for a problem".  I ended up with both receivers in a group of stuff I picked up at a hamfest several years ago.

Rodger,

Its sounds like the 1-10 is the better performer, so I guess its good that's the one I have.  Having very little activity in this area on its frequency of coverage, I have never attempted to use the 1-10.  I remember at one time I had 2 of them.  One was the normal National Black with its known finish and the other one was brown almost like a lot of the AK stuff.  I let the brown one go many years ago.  I was told that National did produce some in brown but was never able to get any more details.

Jim,

If you have a use or just like the collection of pieces you have shown, 150 certainly sounds like a fair price. 

Joe, W3GMS

W3BH
Jim

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »

Thanks guys,

I guess I'll have to go down to Pittsburgh and check out the lot. S-40As are a dime a dozen and I've had as many as three at one time, none in very good shape though. Perhaps this one is a keeper. I'd like to know the condition of the HFS and if has all its coils. The little guy looks like a mobile converter - I know the maker, but just can't remember it now. You can also see that the HFS comes with its power supply and there is possibly a second power supply in the foreground that goes with it as well. You are right to think that $150 is a good price for the lot. Gotta love the HRO dial in any case.

Thanks all for commenting and thanks Pete for the brochure.

Best to all,

Jim
W3BH

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015