The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:48:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver survived after hitting this moose  (Read 5319 times)
w1vtp

« on: September 01, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

Friend of mine sent this out and I put it together on a PDF on it.  It's amazing that the driver walked away from this with minor injuries

Al

* Moose accident Greenville Maine -SM.pdf (733.64 KB - downloaded 424 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »

Wowzers!!

Did the squirrel get away?

klc

What? Me worry?
kc4umo

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »

Wow, looks like there were no room for a driver!

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »

Did the squirrel get away?

Looks Badenov!

Bill KA8WTK
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »

The driver was just followink instructions; find moose and squaarroll; found moose but not squaarroll.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »

Amazing is right!

Twenty years ago I was making a late night run up to Nevada on I-80, I was driving my 67 Mustang and flying low. I was in in the Sierra Nevada Mountains almost to the Nevada Line when I saw lots of blue lights ahead. There were several California Highway Patrol cars on the side and a red sports car, the front end of which was completely demolished, pieces of deer among the wreck. I couldn't tell what type of sports car it was except it appeared from the paint to new. The driver was standing next to the car, with a look on his face best described as "I can't believe I'm still alive"

The thought also went through my mind that it could just as well been me.

The picture was taken along the Kankamagus Highway in New Hampshire in the Fall of 2009, my niece was going to Plymouth State in NH.

* Moose.JPG (750.03 KB, 2288x1712 - viewed 365 times.)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »

Our good friend piss weak Bob K1REC had a similar accident years back when Bullwinkle smashed thru his vans windshield and shot out the back doors. I saw the aftermath of blood on everything inside the van but miraculously,  Bob was not injured and the van was repairable!  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »

Our good friend piss weak Bob K1REC had a similar accident years back when Bullwinkle smashed thru his vans windshield and shot out the back doors. I saw the aftermath of blood on everything inside the van but miraculously,  Bob was not injured and the van was repairable!  

Let's not forget Steve W2TRH (ex JXX) and his encounter with Bambi.

Al
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

The area just south of Greenville has the highest number of moose strikes in the state

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »

The car is totaled. The driver is usually a gonner after a head-on like that. Poor Mr Bullwinkle

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

Did not know that about Bob.  I had a close call about 20 years ago on a dark road at night in Maine.  All I remember is seeing those legs as I skidded by the moose.

p
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »

The Moose are about wiped out compared to 10 years ago here in NH. There are several theories, the current one being something to do with a winter tick infestation causing them to become anemic so they do not properly reproduce or survive the winter. Maine? Saw zero around Greenville this June when I went up fly fishing and only one small specimen on the dirt between Greenville and the Golden road near katahdin. We were all over those dirt roads at dusk and dawn and we used to see ridiculous numbers of them in the late 80s and early 90's. To not hit one was lucky. The locals deny the fact that Moose are down in numbers in Maine, maybe hoping it does not deter tourists?

Of course they still have a big herd in in Maine but they seem to be in denial of the losses. Here in New Hampshire we have confirmed that our herd is at 1/3 of 1990 levels.

http://tomremington.com/2014/02/05/are-maines-biologists-ignoring-declining-moose-population/

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015