The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW MANY AMERS?  (Read 31091 times)
KL7OF

« on: January 18, 2005, 02:01:15 PM »

Does anyone have figures on how many amers there are in the USA?   Other countries?  Worldwide?...How many on this board?

716 on this board,,,,
86 on the Pac NW 3870 Roster...
10 in Mexico.....
2 in Austrailia
Several in Cuba.......
2000 belong to AMI.....

I like HUZ's (?)idea....That a real AMER is not ashamed to tell his SSB buddies that he uses AM.

I think a true AMER is a ham with an AM transmitter that uses it to transmit AM........A real AMER will get on AM and call CQ......
BEST YET........I transmit, therefore AM       (Ian)
xe1yzy

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:24:07 PM »

In Mexico, not to many I guess we are not more than 10 people in all the country :Huh:
But we are growing  :mrgreen: !

TVI WHAT TVI?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:35:18 PM »

More than yesterday. Much to the dismay of certain grouchy users of other modes who are dying off each day.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »

I bet I've worked several thousand different ops on AM over the years. Some were one timers but most weren't.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 02:25:19 AM »

Quote from: KL7OF
Does anyone have figures on how many amers there are in the USA?   Other countries?  Worldwide?...How many on this board?

716 on this board,,,,
86 on the Pac NW 3870 Roster...
10 in Mexico.....

How do you define AMer? One, who likes to listen to AM or one who has operated AM more than once, or some time, or all the time, or one who is maybe just registered on this board or maybe someone who has a transceiver and on occasion presses the AM button and maybe makes a contact for the heck of it. Lots of variables to consider.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 07:03:25 AM »

There are several in Cuba, hanging out mostly on 160.  Castro apologist/propagandist Arnie Coro CO2KK is the most prominent one - believe he even has an old buzzard broadcash xmitter set up for 160.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 10:37:31 AM »

Another data point:

AMI has in the area of 2000 members.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 11:08:04 AM »

For what its worth:

Being an AMer is more a state of mind than anything.
Of course never being heard on the air is a definate negative !!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 11:08:51 AM »

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA

How do you define AMer? One, who likes to listen to AM or one who has operated AM more than once, or some time, or all the time, or one who is maybe just registered on this board or maybe someone who has a transceiver and on occasion presses the AM button and maybe makes a contact for the heck of it. Lots of variables to consider.

I would ask a grumpy-ass, retired on a fixed income, appliance operator sidebander net member who could not afford new finals if he burnt them up trying to jam an AM QSO. They usually seem to know just about everything.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »

Thinking about the question of how many AMers there are in the US  made me wonder (again) what exactly an "AMer" is.  

For example, I'd estimate that more than three-quarters my radio time involves something to do with AM:  operating, reading, fixing or building etc.  Then there are guys known as AMers who spend a fair bit of time on sideband and CW chasing DX.  What about some of the ESSB guys whose audio sounds really good when they switch to AM?  What about guys who flip the mode switch to AM on a stock ricebox for the occasional chat, or who use an old tube rig just for a weekly AM net?  

There are probably as many definitions of AMer as there are people reading this.   There really cannot be one definition of what an AMer is.   I am curious though how others define "AMer".

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 11:41:50 AM »

So, is the carrier continuous or cut on and off?

It would be hard to totally quantify it, although your approach to the mix of on- and off-the-air activities is good. Still, there are some who are into boatanchors (many of the same radios we "AMers" use and love) and they never get on AM (although they may like AM and listen a lot). I gues this is where the on-the-air portion is important.

I think anyone who is not faintly embarassed to say he's (she's) an AMer around his SSB or 2 meter buddies is an AMer.

Quote from: K3MSB
Well, AMI having 2000 members means that 2000 people have sent AMI $2 over the past TBD years!  The same holds true with the number of folks registered on Gary's site;  how many of the 716 are actually active on AM?

I offer up the following:  An AM'er is one that spends X percent of his on-the-air time on AM, and spends Y percent time of his off-the-air radio time during AM related stuff.

Ha! Then you could say a "real" AM'er ( :twisted: ) is one that spends XX percent of his on-the-air time on AM, and spends YY percent time of his off-the-air radio time during AM related stuff, where XX >>X and YY >> Y !!

You can't determine it by how many hours per month etc you spend on AM etc, as people are constrained differently as to how much time in any given time interval they can devote to amateur radio.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ

I think anyone who is not faintly embarassed to say he's (she's) an AMer around his SSB or 2 meter buddies is an AMer.

HA!  I was thinking the same thing. Not faintly embarrassed.  Yes, if you admit in pubic that you are an Amer, then you surely are...

It's really a state of mind, or as The Tron says, "AM is a way of life"..      [for a quick glimpse of a popular AM lifestyle, look to the left]...:lol:

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 11:48:28 AM »

So, is the carrier continuous or cut on and off?

Well ..... if the modulator drives the B puss on the final amplifier to zero ............

Yup !! State of mind!!! Guys with nads !!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 11:49:08 AM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE

I would ask a grumpy-ass, retired on a fixed income, appliance operator sidebander net member who could not afford new finals if he burnt them up trying to jam an AM QSO. They usually seem to know just about everything.

:lol:  :lol:  
But I think his wimpy voltage doubler power supply will crap out before his finals do.

And for Tom JJ who refers to the photo to the left of his post: do you have to have camel toe to be a real AMer?

Go Duke![/b]
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 12:06:22 PM »

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC

And for Tom JJ who refers to the photo to the left of his post: do you have to have camel toe to be a real AMer?

I guess some AMers like to let it all hang out.  Others like to say they have brass BA's.

But in reality, I don't think you could pay anyone enuff to walk around a hamfest in that Elvis suit... :lol:

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »

Too late, T... seen it (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) at Dayton.  'Sides, that's just the kind of thing that fits in at a hamfest.

BTW you gonna join us this year at Daytron?

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 12:19:39 PM »

I always thought you had to have at least two tons of stuff in the basement
to even be considered a jr. AMer

A small path for the XYL  get to the washing machine means your are a seasoned pro....and the XYL is cool.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »

Quote from: K1JJ

But in reality, I don't think you could pay anyone enuff to walk around a hamfest in that Elvis suit... :lol:

T

Do tell?  For some hammy chumps with they asses and pots hanging outta they pants, that hunka hunka burnin luv suit be a step up the clothin ladder.  Kaw mawn.

Go Duke![/b]
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 12:41:57 PM »

..... a step up the clothin ladder

Next to some of 'em Rancid, yud luk somewhat presentable !!!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 01:05:26 PM »

I think Steve's comment above, says it the best. Many of us have some other niche interests in the amateur radio service including things like CW, SSB, working DX, VHF, boatanchors, riceboxes, etc. but we readily admit to enjoying and using the AM mode most of the time. We're also not afraid to take a firm and vocal stand to preserve this mode of operation. It's always fun to call CQ, get an answer on SSB, and then, most of the time if possible, have them press that AM button on their rig and engage them in an AM QSO. Many of us have our own little way of embracing this mode and the community that holds it together.
 :ctf:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB3JOK

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »

Quote from: K1JJ
T

How much are you offering?  :-P
WA1HZK

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 10:43:16 PM »

You Might Be an AM'er

If you operate 98% on AM or Building AM gear and 2% on other stuff, you may be an AM'er

If none of your equipment was produced after 1965, you may be an AM'er

If more than one wife has left you because "you spend more time in the cellar than with me", you might be an AM'er

If you can never have enough transmitters, you might be an AM'er

If you seriously consider cutting a hole in the kitchen floor to get your new Collins BC rig installed in your cellar (Buddley), you might be an AM'er

If you stay up all night burping & belching & drinking beer with 127 of your closest friends every Friday night, you might be an AM'er

If another AM'er needs a part to get his rig running again and you have it in stock and you just drop it in the mail to him, you might be an AM'er

If you seriously consider violence at least once a week because of 3890, you might be an AM'er

If you and your neighbor spend many evenings "Goon Squating" you might be an AM'er

If you get a call during a raging blizzard that your buddys antenna fell down and beat your way through the snow to help him put it back up, you may be an AM'er

If you warm your shack with transmitters and keep your feet warm by the soft glow of the tubes & the intense radiation from the finals, you might be an AM'er

If you constantly make fun of the Class E guys and tell them that they will all freeze to death in the dark but feel really proud that all those guys have taken the time to build such nice sounding rigs, you might be an AM'er

If your radio buddies are the people that you know you can call to help you hide the body and all the others are just people, you might be an AM'er

If your idea of fun is comparing RF burns on your hands, you might be an AM'er

If your fondest desire is to own a piece of property on the top of a mountain with 4 towers spaced in a square 500 feet apart and No Neighbors for at least 5 miles with a porch you can piss offa and fire your shotgun into the air without attracting the Police, you may be an AM'er

If you once owned a Thompson machine gun and invited your buds to go "froggin" with it, you may be an AM'er

If you live in New England in a state where the motto is "Live Free or Die" and this is what you really believe, you may be an AM'er

Anyway, I've tried it all and this is where I keek coming back.
AM forever
SSB Sucks, Hmmmmmm, rymes with "Ducks"

WA1HZK

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
W1IA

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 02:17:43 AM »

Quote from: WA1HZK
You Might Be an AM'er

If you operate 98% on AM or Building AM gear and 2% on other stuff, you may be an AM'er

If none of your equipment was produced after 1965, you may be an AM'er

If more than one wife has left you because "you spend more time in the cellar than with me", you might be an AM'er

If you can never have enough transmitters, you might be an AM'er

If you seriously consider cutting a hole in the kitchen floor to get your new Collins BC rig installed in your cellar (Buddley), you might be an AM'er

If you stay up all night burping & belching & drinking beer with 127 of your closest friends every Friday night, you might be an AM'er

If another AM'er needs a part to get his rig running again and you have it in stock and you just drop it in the mail to him, you might be an AM'er

If you seriously consider violence at least once a week because of 3890, you might be an AM'er

If you and your neighbor spend many evenings "Goon Squating" you might be an AM'er

If you get a call during a raging blizzard that your buddys antenna fell down and beat your way through the snow to help him put it back up, you may be an AM'er

If you warm your shack with transmitters and keep your feet warm by the soft glow of the tubes & the intense radiation from the finals, you might be an AM'er

If you constantly make fun of the Class E guys and tell them that they will all freeze to death in the dark but feel really proud that all those guys have taken the time to build such nice sounding rigs, you might be an AM'er

If your radio buddies are the people that you know you can call to help you hide the body and all the others are just people, you might be an AM'er

If your idea of fun is comparing RF burns on your hands, you might be an AM'er

If your fondest desire is to own a piece of property on the top of a mountain with 4 towers spaced in a square 500 feet apart and No Neighbors for at least 5 miles with a porch you can piss offa and fire your shotgun into the air without attracting the Police, you may be an AM'er

If you once owned a Thompson machine gun and invited your buds to go "froggin" with it, you may be an AM'er

If you live in New England in a state where the motto is "Live Free or Die" and this is what you really believe, you may be an AM'er

Anyway, I've tried it all and this is where I keek coming back.
AM forever
SSB Sucks, Hmmmmmm, rymes with "Ducks"

WA1HZK

Wow....

Am'ers come in all shapes and sizes. Simply put, being an AM'r is a state of mind in which we all share a love for the mode, but mostly a simple caring for others in the fraternity.

I am proud to be associated with the AM'ers I have met and have found all of them willing to lend a hand in one way or another...wether it be parts, advice or help with projects or life in general.

Brent(Tina) W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 04:55:59 AM »

I transmit therefore AM.
W4LTM
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 02:52:43 PM »

"It'd be worth a disproportionately expensive airline ticket for a cattle class seat after enduring a full pat-down search !!"

Don't forget the removal of your shoes.  I have not been to an airport in some time, but when I did a few weeks a go the biggest hold up was not security, ticketing, or detectors, but rather everybody having to take off their darn shoes and then attempt to put them on again while walking and carrying carry-on luggage.  Sheesh what a zoo!

You know?   I would love to be at the Annual Thompson Frog Hunt as well.

Matt
W4LTM
Kemah, TX
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015