The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Total Licenses Continues To Climb  (Read 8128 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: August 31, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

From the AH0A web site. Current license statistics

The table below shows the total number of Amateur licensed by the FCC by year thru Jun 2014. Click on the heading to link to graphs for each class of license.

Year    Ending
         Month    Extra    Advanced    General      Tech         Novice        Total
2014    Jun    135,001    52,661    168,810    356,135    12,609    725,216
2013    Dec    133,391    54,293    167,257    349,163    13,097    717,201
2012    Dec    130,736    56,314    163,370    345,369    13,786    709,575
2011    Dec    126,431    57,875    160,554    342,583    14,613    702,056
2010    Dec    122,951    59,387    155,781    342,191    15,731    696,041
2009    Dec    119,403    60,795    150,970    334,245    17,084    682,497
2008    Dec    115,625    62,104    144,832    322,660    18,343    663,564
2007    Dec    112,022    65,368    142,680    315,314    20,458    655,842
2006    Dec    108,223    69,915    131,224    323,073    23,633    656,068
2005    Dec    107,440    74,221    135,067    319,125    26,747    662,600
2004    Dec    106,090    77,948    138,292    319,742    29,765    671,837
2003    Dec    104,894    82,034    141,498    322,821    32,812    684,059
2002    Dec    103,257    84,326    139,848    321,805    36,072    685,308
2001    Dec      97,977    86,545    138,625    319,735    40,155    683,037
2000    Dec      93,807    88,783    134,144    319,874    45,632    682,240
1999    Dec     75,392   103,471    110,386    335,768    52,375    677,392
This is also very interesting. Click on your respective state to see how the amateur count varied over the last 14 years.
http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/ARRL/2014/C.html

If you're into statistics, and have nothing better to do, try the Amateur Radio Statistics Report Generator

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »

Unlike in most of the states, it has really dropped off in places like Guam and American Samoa. I wonder if it is attrition or there is a hardship in those places.

In some places the rise through the no-code zone is fairly linear/unaffected, others accelerated and some of those sharply. It suggests that the growth at that time was no so much the 'dull or indolent' factor as some like to jest, but more like a disinterest in learning something that was not going to be used immediately. On the other side of that coin, there's a big interest (locally anyway) in learning some CW to expand the hobby after attaining HF voice modes and finding the shouting distance not as great as imagined with the typical antennas and station. Just opinion and feedback from people I know in the clubs, I have no real data or survey.

The latest (2010-12) 'improved' question pools slowed things down only a little bit. There are some who believe the Extra should have been more challenging in order to give it more meaning. I agree but also do not believe in making things too exclusive. Long delays between meaningful technological advancements and the upgrade of technical testing levels, administered through government or other agencies, are the norm.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »

I wonder who will be the last Novice?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »

I've heard folks bemoan the fact that we are becoming a vanishing entity recently but as you point out with your post that isn't the fact.

Al
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »

While I didn't click on every state, I noted that NYS took a total nose dive? Maybe that is message for me to get the hell out of this state?

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

I find it interesting that ham licenses have increased by 7% since 1999 - (About + 1/2% a year)

I realize this is subjective, but it seems that the bands are about 50% less active compared to 15-25 years ago.   Nowadays, tuning across 75M on a Saturday night, including the CW portion, can be dead. In contrast, the bands were absolutely hopping in the past with hardly a clear frequency to sandwich into. There were battles over channel space all the time, on both ssb and AM.  

How about the 1950's? 75M was jammed with carriers and activity, roundtables, etc.  And there were far fewer licenses back then.  

The 75M DX window (3.795 in the 80's and 90's)   used to have massive pileups that lasted for several minutes on each call - USA guys were screaming and calling for Europeans like no tomorrow. Nowadays, I hear an occasional Eu group calling for USA and wondering why no one answers for hours on end.  Strange.

But if we have a popular contest weekend, the band is loaded!  Have we gone from conversationalists to "wham bam 59 -chow"  mentality?

If we had recorded spectrums from back then, I'll bet a lower activity comparison today would show up statistically on the panadapter.

If there really IS less activity, is it because new hams get their tickets and quickly lose interest?  Do the old timers no longer get on  when their regular ham buddies die out?  I've seen many old groups on every night - just stop.... especially on ssb - and no one replaces them.

I have mentioned this before:  The end of ham radio will not be because of some government spectrum seizure, oppressive rule changes or anything like that. It will be because of lack of interest. There will come a day when we tune the band and there is just static. As more and more hams drop out, there are fewer and fewer people to talk with, thus it implodes.   Or maybe ham radio will continue to evolve and last forever, who knows?  Either way, have fun and get on NOW!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

While I didn't click on every state, I noted that NYS took a total nose dive? Maybe that is message for me to get the hell out of this state?

Think of all the free space you have Terry.  Just be a DX hound.  Oh yeah, a lot of hams may have moved out of NY to make room for ....err never mind

al
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »

Back in the not too old "good old days" you could get on around midnight and hear several AM QSO's on 75. Now you're lucky if you find one. I guess lots of amateurs don't like to play late-night radio and I suspect many find AM on 75 far less fun then operating on other bands. There's no loss for AM or SSB contacts on 40 or 20 meters during the evening hours.

Also, back when, there typically were only three major modes. Now, with all the various digital modes, there's a lot more variety. On a typical receiver, all these modes just sound like noise and are difficult to quantify as actual amateur signals without the proper equipment. I read somewhere in one of the mags not too long ago, that contest activity and interest has increased almost 50% from what it was 20 years ago. Obviously, if that's really true, then many amateurs of today really enjoy the sport and thrill of contesting.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »

I've noticed a bit more 40m AM activity in the evening..... and then the somewhat active 20m Monday night group.

klc

What? Me worry?
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »

where are these new hams?  I see almost no young people at the festers. Most are old buzzards  Grin.   I wonder what the average age is today versus 5 years ago?  It has to be creeping up and that is the wrong direction!
p
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

Looking at the big retirement states it looks like the numbers are climbing, then you look at the High Tax states that are losing population and the numbers have fallen.

It also appears that as the population ages more older people are getting an amateur radio license, more spare time in retirement.

I concur that one doesn't see a lot of younger people at the ham swaps, mainly the old farts, I resemble that description!! That isn't good for the hobby's future, it's a shame that modern communications appears to have taken the magic out of radio for the young.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

I concur that one doesn't see a lot of younger people at the ham swaps, mainly the old farts, I resemble that description!! That isn't good for the hobby's future, it's a shame that modern communications appears to have taken the magic out of radio for the young.

Maybe old people have nothing better to do and it gives them a chance to get out of the rocking chair and out to meet people.

Maybe younger people have better things to do with their time then rummage around of bunch of tables and boxes looking at old or broken things that probably they would never have any use for. Or maybe family and work time take precedent over going to a flea market.

Heck, I think I was licensed for 23 years before I went to my first flea market. Saw what attendee's were buying and thought, this is interesting, I think I'll come back next time on the other side of the table.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 12:58:04 AM »

I know this has nothing to do with the statistics of the number of younger people getting involved with ham radio, but every one of us can make a difference if we just take the time and effort to encourage someone even remotely interested.

I have a colleague from HP who became interested in emergency communications through his career focus in network security issues.  I helped him any way I could, loaning equipment so he could determine his interests before investing in new radios; helping him with questions on antennas and installation safety; participating in field day, etc.  He is now an extra ham.  We spent many hours restoring an HRO 50T that had many poorly implemented modifications and damaged coil sets.  In the process, his son also was interested and has progressed from tech to general.  He now has a Kenwood TS-530 that I used previously, and enjoys digital modes.  Both are becoming interested in vintage gear, AM, and learning about tube circuits, and equipment that can be maintained, modified, and improved, by the lay person. 

If we all welcome remotely interested persons to see experience the pleasure of communicating with ham radio, without all the internet infrastructure that they depend upon for their email, web apps, etc. there is no limit to how much they will enjoy and learn about the history and technology that we all treasure so dearly.  We "old farts" can be the solution, not the problem.  Inviting new hams to the fests that we most enjoy makes a great difference.  Rick and I attended the Huntsville hamfest a couple weeks ago, met old friends, many new folks, and found some super bargains in the process.  Buying stuff that is not perfect, and learing to fix it, is a most rewarding process, for the newcomer and the mentor.  We should take every opportunity to help and welcome new folks into the hobby.  That is what makes it fun and rewarding for me. 

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »

I know this has nothing to do with the statistics of the number of younger people getting involved with ham radio, but every one of us can make a difference if we just take the time and effort to encourage someone even remotely interested.

I have a colleague from HP who became interested in emergency communications through his career focus in network security issues.  I helped him any way I could, loaning equipment so he could determine his interests before investing in new radios; helping him with questions on antennas and installation safety; participating in field day, etc.  He is now an extra ham.  We spent many hours restoring an HRO 50T that had many poorly implemented modifications and damaged coil sets.  In the process, his son also was interested and has progressed from tech to general.  He now has a Kenwood TS-530 that I used previously, and enjoys digital modes.  Both are becoming interested in vintage gear, AM, and learning about tube circuits, and equipment that can be maintained, modified, and improved, by the lay person. 

If we all welcome remotely interested persons to see experience the pleasure of communicating with ham radio, without all the internet infrastructure that they depend upon for their email, web apps, etc. there is no limit to how much they will enjoy and learn about the history and technology that we all treasure so dearly.  We "old farts" can be the solution, not the problem.  Inviting new hams to the fests that we most enjoy makes a great difference.  Rick and I attended the Huntsville hamfest a couple weeks ago, met old friends, many new folks, and found some super bargains in the process.  Buying stuff that is not perfect, and learing to fix it, is a most rewarding process, for the newcomer and the mentor.  We should take every opportunity to help and welcome new folks into the hobby.  That is what makes it fun and rewarding for me. 

Very well stated Rick!  I have tried to do similar things with some very good results as well. 

Joe, GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »

every one of us can make a difference if we just take the time and effort to encourage someone even remotely interested.

Very well stated Rick!  I have tried to do similar things with some very good results as well.  

Joe, GMS    

Yes, well stated.  We may not realize that a friend or coworker is interested until we strike up a conversation.

It doesn't bother me that the average ham is middle age or older. The reason for that, in part, could be that older hams have more time and disposable income to devote to the hobby once their kids are on their own, after retirement, etc.,  Older hams may have more time to attend hamfests.

For sure, there are more expedient avenues for the younger set to get their hands on technology such as computers and cell phones. But the magic of ham radio - the mystery of radio signals coming in through the static and QSB - can still spark a kid's interest in ham radio.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »

In hobbies, sometimes its not about the solution, but its the way we do it that we develop enjoyment from. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »

[Buying stuff that is not perfect, and learning to fix it, is a most rewarding process, for the newcomer and the mentor.  We should take every opportunity to help and welcome new folks into the hobby./quote][/b]

It has always been interesting to me to watch the reactions of people who have visited my camp/ham shack expressions. There are tons of transmitters and receivers there and some are are just glued in fixation at what is exhibited, while others come in that have no interest in electronics cannot see what is in front of them!

Don't know why the above is all boxed in?

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »

Buying stuff that is not perfect, and learning to fix it, is a most rewarding process, for the newcomer and the mentor.  We should take every opportunity to help and welcome new folks into the hobby.

It has always been interesting to me to watch the reactions of people who have visited my camp/ham shack expressions. There are tons of transmitters and receivers there and some are are just glued in fixation at what is exhibited, while others come in that have no interest in electronics cannot see what is in front of them!

Don't know why the above is all boxed in?

ed Mod: Because you put the bkt \quote bkt in the wrong place. You had it at the end of all your text. Here's how it should look.

Buying stuff that is not perfect, and learing to fix it, is a most rewarding process, for the newcomer and the mentor.  We should take every opportunity to help and welcome new folks into the hobby.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »

Thanks Pete......

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

P ... the working mans friend.....

It is strange that the number of license goes up, but there doesn't seem to be an increase of on the air activities. When the renewal was 2 years(?), one could gage things. How many are SK??

klc

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »

How many are SK??

Good question Kevin. Perhaps not enough to make a big difference but a quick check on the FCC site still shows Bill KD0HG and Ashtabula Bill W8VWZ as "active".

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »

In the case of W8VYZ:
W8VYZ    DOLVIN, WILLIAM C    0010512671    HA    Active    05/31/2014
From the FCC FAQ: Expiration Date
The date after which a license ceases to be valid. For example, a license with a 12/1/2004 expiration is no longer valid at 12:00am on 12/2/2004. In most cases wireless licenses have a 10-year license term, and the expiration date is the 10-year anniversary date of the original license grant date.

But I think there is also a grace period after "expiration date" before the call can be used again.

Some time ago when we had a similar thread, I counted the number of SK's listed in several issues of QST. I think the average came out to something like 250 each month. If an amateur renewed their license in January 2014 and then passed in February 2014, that call could remain active for almost 10 years in the FCC database unless someone notified the FCC. I suspect most survivors of the amateur never do that. So, although the license numbers go up, the numbers are skewed somewhat since it's probably impossible to track all the SK's.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »

It's possible ham radio has some of its increases partly from the retirement/mature demographic.
It takes a decent attention span and some care for details and desire for learning. Those traits or practices seem to have been relegated to lower visibility today.

late night/midnight stuff -the way people work today, long hours, early rising, may not leave as many to be up at midnight hours.

as far as 75/80M, I'd be on it save for 'tuna issues' to be solved later.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »

Some time ago when we had a similar thread, I counted the number of SK's listed in several issues of QST. I think the average came out to something like 250 each month.

Wow, Pete! 250 a month adds up quick. Being conservative at 200 a month that would be 24,000 in any 10 year period. But since they've been including these all along in their count it is apparent the trend seems to be up.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »

Some time ago when we had a similar thread, I counted the number of SK's listed in several issues of QST. I think the average came out to something like 250 each month.

Wow, Pete! 250 a month adds up quick. Being conservative at 200 a month that would be 24,000 in any 10 year period. But since they've been including these all along in their count it is apparent the trend seems to be up.

I just did a quick count in the August 2014 QST: 204 with 2 being international amateurs. Again, like the FCC, someone has to report the passing of the amateur to the ARRL SK Administrator in order for it to be listed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015