The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:52:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby hamfest photos on line  (Read 5647 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »

See http://www.virhistory.com/ham/shelby_2014.htm

It was a good swapmeet for boatanchors - tons of Hammarlund, lots of Heathkit, Drake, Collins S-line - must have been a dozen Hallicrafters SX-62 rcvrs. Some rare stuff too - John Meck xmtr and Boulevard rcvr.

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW
www.navy-radio.com

kc4umo

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »

Last time I went to Shelby was in the 80's.
It is like time stood still from those photos

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »

NEAT!! Always enjoy pictures from swaps in other parts of the country, lots of good stuff.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »

Last time I went to Shelby was in 2000. Periodic downpours; lots of mud; then the sun came out and hot and very humid. I think the bugs had their own airport. When I got back to the hotel in Charlotte, had to clean my boot shoes in the tub.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »

Man oh man oh man - what a flea market!

That is some sampling of boat anchors.

The amplifier pictured below.... what did it use for a final, a 3-1000Z  or 4-1000A ?   What price did it go for?  Looks like a nicely constructed rig.

Tom, K1JJ

* amplifier 1.jpg (3340.98 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 442 times.)

* Amplifier 2.jpg (2583.53 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 381 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:13 AM »

Great stuff !!  I'm wiping the drool off of my keyboard …

The JX-17 photo on those SP-600 T-shirts is MY radio, which remains playing happily on the operating table.  I wasn't even aware they were still being printed.  That was a lo-o-o-o-ong time ago, and I've actually lost track of who I did the photo for.  My exhorbitant price for the pic was a free T-shirt, which I still have although it's now a bit faded.

If anyone knows who had those at Shelby, I might try to get another one or two to compensate for the dual effects of fabric shrinkage and my own (ahem) mid-line growth  Grin  

On the plus side, in a year or two at most I'll be moving from Texas to Georgia and be close enough to NC to actually MAKE it to Shelby …

Grant NQ5T
N4zed

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »

Boy it was a GREAT fest and it was TOO DARN HOT ! Wish I knew some of you were going to be there and I would have known to search you fellows out.

They did have the most boat anchors that I have seen in a while and most were in good shape. A lot of stuff in the lower lot as well.

Maybe next year I can look some of you fellows up.

Ken
N4zed

Ken<br />N4zed
VE3AJM

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

Thanks for posting all the pictures Nick. Lots of good boatanchor gear there especially the HB RF decks and the SP-600s. The nay sayer hasnt discovered bug spray apparently. Grin

Al VE3AJM
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:31:59 AM »

Fantastic pictures and I have never seen that much vintage gear at a Hamfest and that includes the Dayton Hamvention!  My Ham Radio career is almost 50 years now. 

If one is looking for something, that was the one to attend! 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »

Wow, what a great Fest! North Carolina! One of few places northeastward to which I might cnsider moving. It is hot there though not as hot as here.

By the pictures it's obvious the Shelby hamfest had all the elements of a fun event and worthwhile place to be happy and drop some $.

My picks:
20KW load

564B affordable storage scope

Band Scopes. never mind the heathkits, get the military one.

beautiful VHF hacks

wood and brass instruments -the wattmeter

Happy Ham

Very manly rectifier deck - check out the pilot lamps. That piece there is exactly what I like.

Nice XYL -how many XYL are so happy with a waggon full like that? -well, SHE may be the ham!

Big Pig iron on wheels

Spark Coil looks like fun

'artistic' linear - the blower is plenty big, ought run cool. Call it artistic for lack of a better way to describe the appearance. Gold and chrome has never matched the equipment around here or what we'e ever used. I dont think I could get used to that but it looks too well made to ignore. I guess I don't have a gaudy enough shack. I'll have to work on that. I could see it being driven by a Golden Eagle so all would match!

Super bargain Rycom. Those are very good receivers and can be put on the IF output of an HF set to demodulate FM and SSB where wanted.

Thanks for the report and a chance to comment!

* 1.jpg (223.52 KB, 800x800 - viewed 358 times.)

* 2.jpg (290.04 KB, 800x800 - viewed 312 times.)

* 3.jpg (240.46 KB, 800x800 - viewed 350 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »

Great pics.
I like your selections.

The xfor skewed in the cab is a P Dahl hyperseal tape wound. See the twin cores, common winding?  I have one, 3k at 1A ccs, using the exact same angle aluminum, strapping, insulators and impregnated boards. Mine are pinker.  Grin
Primary is twin 120 windings, jumpable to 240/120.  The wire in mine is flat, not round, stock.

Someone's messed around with the twin insulators on the right side. Don't look original, but may be. By the looks of the wires leading to them, may be a strapping low voltage or filament transformer.  Or that's the 240 side and and the five ceramics on the other side go to a twin HV choice with center tap winding.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »

Could not get there this year.  Last year I won an HT as a door prize and unfortunate circumstances intervened this year.  However, by next year I should have completed my relocation from Ohio to NC, and plan on being there in 2015.  Thanks for the pictures.

Ted  W8IXY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015