The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Hamtronics UHF exciter board  (Read 3343 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: August 27, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »

I am working on a vintage Hamtronics exciter board and cannot find any documentation for it.  I did look on the Hamtronics web site but nothing for this one.  I sent an email to Jerry Vogt at Hamtronics but they apparently don't maintain any early documentation on their kits.  

Here is a picture of the UHF exciter board and if anyone can help I would appreciate it.  

Thanks!

Joe, W3GMS

* IMG_1393.JPG (2954.97 KB, 4000x2248 - viewed 347 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »

Hi Joe,

The TA451 board may be very close to what you have. The layout is different but the schematic (attached) look like it may be very similar.
Might be of help!

Bud

* IMG_1393.JPG (2389.56 KB, 4000x2248 - viewed 328 times.)
* TA451.pdf (348.77 KB - downloaded 174 times.)
kc4umo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »

I had some docs from hamtronics on this and the VHF version.
Will see if I can locate it. Not sure if I gave all the docs away when I sold it or not.
I still have my irst Hamtronics VHF repeater here.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »

Bud and Buddy,

Thanks guys for the help.  Buddy, if you find any documentation on my specific unit that would be great. 

Bud, I am sure your right in that the designs are similar.

I am kind of surprised that the factory does not retain at least a schematic on earlier versions.   I also  found them less than friendly when trying to get some answers.  I asked about some transistors that I needed and the answer was check the website and if we have it its on there.  I have spent a fair amount of money with them and some friendly customer service would be nice.   

I have found their equipment to be quite good over the years.  Simple no frills design but the stuff works quite well.  I have been using their 2 meter receiver on my 2 meter repeater for well over 15 years without any problems.     

Joe, W3GMS   

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »

Many factories of older times have, or had, only one file copy. Consider that only in recent decades back to 1995 or so were CAD, scanners, and computer systems cheap enough for routine use by everyone involved in a small company, and that for the the older products either done on an obsolete computer or done by hand, it would not have been a priority to copy it into the computer and the engineers couldn't be bothered to do it, 'document control' did not exist, and the regular minions having no access to resources to do it with. Lost manuals are endless.

IFI model 400 amplifier (six 4CX250B) - lost in fire.
An Ultrasonic cleaner here - lost in flood.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »

Many factories of older times have, or had, only one file copy. Consider that only in recent decades back to 1995 or so were CAD, scanners, and computer systems cheap enough for routine use by everyone involved in a small company, and that for the the older products either done on an obsolete computer or done by hand, it would not have been a priority to copy it into the computer and the engineers couldn't be bothered to do it, 'document control' did not exist, and the regular minions having no access to resources to do it with. Lost manuals are endless.

IFI model 400 amplifier (six 4CX250B) - lost in fire.
An Ultrasonic cleaner here - lost in flood.

I am sure your right about a lot of the smaller companies. 

I always felt compelled that once I took someones money to maintain records for at least as long as I am alive.  I ran my own electronic design and manufacturing business for over 10 years and I have every bit of documention should a former customer need it.  That also was before we had very easy ways to electronically store things. 

The Hamtronics stuff is simple enough that I can just come up with a schematic for the transmitter from the assembly I showed.  Not a big deal that I get this from anyone but it never hurts to ask!

Joe, GMS   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015