The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:16:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M Trans-Atlantic Tests:  (Read 10084 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« on: January 18, 2005, 12:00:10 PM »

Hello All,
            For those who may be interested I'm trying to make arrangements to do 160 meter AM Trans-Atlantic tests with Henk, PE1MPH and other Amateur Ops in the Netherlands. I've specified 1885KC and 1930KC since there is an abundance of AM activity on those freq's here, and will mention 1945KC as well. One-Sixty is known as "Vissingband" or the "Fishermans" band in the Netherlands, and is near their Marine Band (as was our old assignment of Marine freq's).

I'm cooridinating with PE1MPH due to the time difference, etc., and he is trying to set something up on his end of "The Pond".

Whether you're interested or not, try to drag your feet in between transmissions and listen for any European breakers that may be down in the noise.

Henk built his own RF deck and modulator, and apparently there is a bit of interest in AM ops overseas. I'd like to possibly try a split-frequency sked on 75 or 40 meters sometime if band conditions hold up. Unfortunately as you know, European frequency assignments on 75 and 40 meters are different from ours.

I'll post more info about this as it becomes available. The weekend will probably be the best time for all involved.

Enclosed is copy of an email he sent to a few other 160M ops in his Country. Unfortunately, I can't read Dutch!

Regards,
             Joe N3IBX
Hallo,

De laatste weken zijn we hier in N Friesland nogal actief op 160 meter.
Vooral 's avonds in SSB maar ook in AM....
Wij vinden het 'rustiger' op deze top-band.
En kunnen hier met plezier ook in AM qso's maken....
Helaas zijn er nog niet veel qrv.....

Ook heb ik contact via de mail met: Joe N3IBX
Daar hebben ze 1885 en 1930 als AM freq.
En we willen binnenkort eens proberen om.....
Het zou mij al een 'kick' geven als ik AM-ers op 160 kan horen... hi, hi...

Nu mijn vraag!
Klopt het dat 'de ons omringende landen' een andere bandindeling hebben?
Wij mogen tot 1880, maar ik hoor bijv. Duitse stations op 1885!
En tevens Engelsen......
Ik ben al op het Internet aan het zoeken geweest, hoe dat zit.
Volgens mij worden de freq. niet duidelijk aangegeven....
Kunt u dat uitzoeken of hebt u daar een lijstje van?
Lijkt me handig om te weten waar de Europeanen mogen zenden op 160.
Dan gaat het me (ons) natuurlijk om AM en SSB freq..... hi, hi...

Graag uw reactie,

Henk (pe1mph) / Dokkum

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 12:08:04 PM »

Using the Babelfish translation website
http://babelfish.altavista.com
here's what came out.

The last weeks are we here in n friesland rather active on 160 meters. Especially 's evenings in SSB but also in AM.... We find it 'rustiger' on these top-band. And can make here gladly also in AM qso's.... Unfortunately there are not yet many qrv..... Also I have contact by means of the mail with: Joe N3IBX have them 1885 and 1930 there as AM freq. And we want try soon once for..... It me already 'kick' give if I can Am-ers on 160 hear... hi, hi... Question now my! Is correct it that 'de us surrounding landen' another link classification have? We can up to 1880, but I hear bijv. German stations on 1885,! And tevens english...... I have been already on the Internet for zoeken, how that sits. According to me the freq. are not clearly indicated.... Can you select that or do have you of it lijstje? Seems me skilful know where the Europeans can send on 160. Then it concerns me (our) of course AM and SSB freq..... hi, hi...

Go Duke![/b]
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

Paul,
      Thanks for the translation! I'll clarify to Henk what freq's we'll be on.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Fred k2dx

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:59:52 PM »

Joe...check out 'grayline' propagation....a directional receive antenna could be very helpful too...
wavebourn
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:26:59 PM »

Let's check if I can hear you Joe... Looks like I hear wall from North and South, and nearly nothing from East, despite antenna is strictly vertically hanged on a branch of a tree. However, it is on the Western side of the tree, but can't a tree shield so much?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 08:00:32 PM »

Quote from: wavebourn
Let's check if I can hear you Joe... Looks like I hear wall from North and South, and nearly nothing from East, despite antenna is strictly vertically hanged on a branch of a tree. However, it is on the Western side of the tree, but can't a tree shield so much?

Tolly,
       Great idea! I've noticed you've posted previous "calls heard" and think it's a great idea. Let me know this weekend (if possible on your end) If you hear any amateurs on 1885KC or 1930KC. I should also be on 75 meters depending on band conditions, QRN, etc.

Thanks again!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 08:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Fred k2dx
Joe...check out 'grayline' propagation....a directional receive antenna could be very helpful too...

Fred,
       How UB? Do you want to give it a try on 160M this weekend?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Fred k2dx

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:40:09 PM »

I have the 75 m discone up, it is working well on 160 also.
I'm setting up my Valiant/75A4...had the FT1000d on over the weekend and the PA crapped out, (with 45 watt carrier-recommended max is 50).
##%%!
Gonna be running the BC1t?
wavebourn
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Quote from: wavebourn

Tolly,
       Great idea! I've noticed you've posted previous "calls heard" and think it's a great idea. Let me know this weekend (if possible on your end) If you hear any amateurs on 1885KC or 1930KC. I should also be on 75 meters depending on band conditions, QRN, etc.

Thanks again!

Roger!
I'll write a report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015