The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'L' Network Matcher for OWL?  (Read 3598 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »

Hi All,

Been doing a bit of reading on the topic of antenna tuners/matchers. I don't really know how to phrase the question properly as I don't have the smarts that you folks have. Anyway, if feeding a dipole with OWL, is there a matching circuit that is preferred? Is there a liability when using an 'L' network tuner as opposed to a balanced tuner? Link coupled? So many choices.

Thanks, RSWL..................................
w7fox

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »

Roland,

You can use an L network to match your transmitter to the OWL.  It will be unbalanced since one wire will go to ground, but it will probably work anyway.  One suggestion I have not tried is to put a balun on the transmitter side of the L network.  This will allow the L network to "float", with no ground connection.  Be careful not to touch it at high power!  I have not tried it.  I also would like to try a "balanced" L network, which will require two ganged inductors, but I haven't tried it yet.  Personally, I have been using link coupled tuners since starting out in 1964, and they work fine.  Good luck.

Chris
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:47 PM »

Look at the W4MMQ design….I'm collecting parts for one…

http://ka4cid.blogspot.ca/2008/12/w4mmq-legacy-balanced-antenna-tuner.html

Just don't click on the 1 commentor's link at the bottom….it's spam.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
aa5wg

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »

Roland,

You can use a L network to feed owl.  However, it will not be balanced.  And, when a balun is added to the L network it has, depending on the length of the entire antenna system, the potential to heat the balun to the point of damage.

The link coupler seems to be a better choice.  It is electrically and mechanically balanced and does use weak high voltage components, i.e. balun, roller inductors, antenna relays, antenna switches, etc.

The link has another advantage.  It can we switched between series feed or parallel feed to accommodate your total antenna system length for all bands.

Good luck!

Chuck
RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I'm trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel. R.F. seems like black magic sometimes.

RSWL................
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015