The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 45 years ago  (Read 9268 times)
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »

I was 20 and at friend's home in a suburb of Boston, I remember them landing and the it taking hours before Armstrong came down the ladder, seems so long ago. It was so late at night I almost fell asleep.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »

I just checked  the 1969 calendar...it actually was on a Sunday.  The comment in the first post on this thread about having a TV brought into the class room so the students could watch, along with a line from Jimmy Buffet's song about the event  "The Rocket That Grandpa Rode", which said "...we all got to stay home from school..." seems kind of odd, given that it happened on a Sunday in the middle of the summer.  Maybe they were remembering earlier space missions, I can recall hearing and watching real time TV coverage of Gemini missions in science class in junior high school.

You tube of the Buffet song, form "Songs from Saint Somewhere":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CXDRdmY4pw

Maybe it was the landing or some other part of the flight or even another one that was watched in school. It was a long time ago. I don't know anything about Jimmy Buffett's music.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »

For some reason, the title of this thread did not ring any bells in my slightly clouded mind but this evening I realized, I was in the OSO (Orbiting Solar Observatory) control center at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt (College Park), MD in normal operations mode (12 hours on, 12 hours off for the full mission), watching Oldsol for any storms that might endanger the guys on the moon  landing mission...

That was one of the several control centers (Nimbus & Tyros to name two) I was familier with back in those years during my adventures with NASA...   Great bunch of guys to work with, I might add...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015