The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:38:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RARSfest Anyone?  (Read 2913 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »

Tomorrow is the big Raleigh hamfest at the state fairgrounds. They allow sellers to go in Friday afternoon and evening to unload/set up ahead of time like the Richmond 'fest, which is nice. This was the first year I went in early and was surprised to discover that they put on a big dinner for vendors Friday evening. BBQ pork & chicken, fried chicken, slaw, green beans, several types of fruits salads, multiple beverage & dessert choices. A great feed, and it saved me coming home to figure out what to make for dinner since the women are out of town for Easter.

Instead of the usual NE corner of the building, this year they have the boatanchor and old radio crew in one of the center island areas. There were already a lot of nice rigs there to see and plenty of other 'stuff', should be a good event.

Hope to see some of you there. I'm set up on the two tables to the right of Nick/K4NYW with his large Navy Radio sign standing up on his table. I've got some ARC-5 gear, an unmodified BC-348R with mount/dynamotor/connector, GF-11, Gonset, Sonar, and a bunch of other items. The guy next to me has a load of wooden radios and around the end cap is Al/W8UT with a table full of gear.

Stop by and say hello, and take something home with you. Phil/KC4VWU is one of my best customers, but can't possibly have much room left at home.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:18:34 AM »

BC-448R with a dynamotor, sounds interesting too bad you are at the other end of the country. I went to NEARFEST last Fall when I was back visiting family in MA., had a good time but was only able to go that Friday.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »

BC-448R with a dynamotor, sounds interesting too bad you are at the other end of the country.

The 348 is definitely a chunk-o-weight, but prices are down even on the complete/unhacked units like this one so it might be worthwhile.

Was a decent 'fest overall, not sure if it was helped or hurt by the rain. Saw quite a bit of good stuff including a clean SX-42 for $250 obo and the head shaker of the event, a nice, working HRO-500 priced at $450 obo that sat on the table until after noon sometime. No idea what it finally sold for, but it was further confirmation that prices continue downward, along with interest it would seem. Those of us with interest are becoming fewer as are younger replacements.

Did okay for the day. Covered my expenses and made a few dollars. Nowhere close to last year but the stuff I brought wasn't as desirable, despite fire sale pricing. Looks like a weekend of pulling parts and scrapping what's left is in order.

Got to see most of the gang, though K4OZY was out of town. Something to do with a daughter getting married or some such. First one he's missed since 1996. Was set up next to Nick/K4NYW with Al/W8UT a couple tables away in the other direction. A fellow next to me selling old wooden sets was doing pretty well, cheap prices. Wilson/W4BOH stopped by briefly to say howdy as did Mike & Vic whose calls escape me at the moment (Mike's a 4 and I think Vic is KD0-something - a member here). And of course Phil/KC4VWU wandered past, this time with his daughter in tow. Seems she bought her first radio, a portable RCA ala Trans-Oceanic. Phil didn't take anything home from my table this time which convinced me that I must've brought mainly junk.

I definitely came away with an adjusted attitude about the likelihood of being able to sell this old stuff going forward. I hate to use ebay but some items like the BC-348 are too good to scrap. Just don't have the time or space to deal with the packing and shipping issues. Easier to yank knobs, tubes, whatever else and toss the rest in the recycling.

Best offer of the day was from Mike, to stop over to his place by the lake and try some of his homemade beer. Beer isn't as difficult to carry as boatanchor gear, and it's so much easier to get rid of when you're done with it.  Grin

W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

I enjoy swap reports form other parts of the country. The swap season is upon us here in Ca, next weekend Valley of Moon Amateur Radio Club in Sonoma. A nice small swap that I've gone to the last couple of years. Then the Military Radio Collectors Meet in San Luis Obispo the following weekend along with the AMI Meet in Santa Ynez. Then Natomas in Sacramento the middle of May and then N7RCA in Minden, Nv first weekend in June.

I agree that there is a lack of young people in amateur radio, they all seem to be more interested in their Iphones and Ipads, none of which interest me at all.

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:59:56 PM »

I have posted RARSFEST 2014 photos at
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/rars-14.htm
If you enjoy looking at photos of past hamfests, all my old ones are linked at
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/hobbies.html
cheers,
Nick K4NYW

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »

I have posted RARSFEST 2014 photos at
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/rars-14.htm
If you enjoy looking at photos of past hamfests, all my old ones are linked at
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/hobbies.html
cheers,
Nick K4NYW

Thanks for the pictures Nick.  Its always interesting to see the items that people put on their tables.   

As Todd indicated, its a great buyers market for sure, especially at Hamfests where people do not want to drag things home.   With attendance being generally down at most Hamfest today, it brings out a limited amount of people that want whats on the table unlike an online ad which has much wider visibility.     

I am always thrilled when someone buys something and has zero interest in using it, but believes if they hold onto it it will make them a killing!

Joe, GMS         

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »

By the looks of content lately, seems some of the 'investors' have woken up and smelled the coffee.

Thanks for posting the photos, Nick. Bet I didn't even see 75% of that stuff. IIRC, there were 2-3 estates being liquidated. A sad but inevitable sign of the times.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:28:03 AM »

It could bode well for the upcoming ham-com fest here. Yearly I take the 'good stuff', price it as what I'd pay for it, and yearly take it all home because no one wants it or they are even cheaper than me! I really was tired of loading 1000 lbs in and out.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015