The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:51:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get rid of rotten little mice/rats.. and helping the outdoor 'helpers'?  (Read 16845 times)
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »

I like the cat sanctuary plan...if a Chihuahua manages to get in, the cats can handle it and it may provide an alternate food source. Grin

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

You can also throw in a few 'mole bombs' and gass 'em....  Its the right thing to do.

klc

or there is.....
http://donarexios.blogspot.com/2012/06/cowboy-cat.html

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »

I use a version of this at the cabin. Work as advertised!!!

Mouse Trap Images

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:14 AM »

The roller traps were the next step and I'd saved a small plastic Folgers coffee jar. No poison or pet-harming traps, and cat's don't like peanut butter. Most cats I guess. There is always one waiting to prove a human wrong. yeah cat sanctuary, but I don't want to have 22 of them outdoor cats again!  The mother cat and maybe the two old tomcats are welcome.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Ken - K2UPI

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »

I had a meese problem many years ago and tried the poison technique...bad idea! They went back to the nest, which was unfortunately, in the wall under the kitchen sink.  The whole gang croaked in there and the stink was 40 over 9. javascript:void(0); I got lucky and found the nest with the first hole I cut in the wall. Now we use the old fashioned spring trap with a little piece of "French fried potato for bait.  Works every time javascript:void(0);

Ken / K2UPI
W4EWH

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

I spent the summer in Montana the year before last, as a radio dispatcher at the Glacier National Park. I had occasion to be in the "Back country" once, visiting a friend at one of the ranger cabins - a place so remote that everything has to be carried in.

We sat on the porch in the late evening, and I was about to expound on some important point of something-or-other, when the wolves started to howl on the hilltops around us.

Trust me on this: television does not carry the sound of wolves howling - at least, not the way you hear it in Montana, miles away from electric lights and electric music and electric amplifiers. It is an other-worldly sound, so elemental and fierce as to strip away, in an instant, the veneer of civilization and education and preconceived notions about "Right" and "Wrong".

I knew, at that moment, at the core of my being, that those wolves would eat me if they could. Nothing personal. Nothing vicious. Nothing but food for their pups and for themselves in a place where they are the apex predators.

I use spring traps for mice: they work well and there's no chance of their corpses sticking up the place.

I don't worry about it much: in my house, I am the apex predator.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »

In the greater scheme of things, you would probably have more to fear from rodent carried disease than from the wolves.... ..

I like to sit on the front porch and listen to the coyotes on a moon lit night.

klc

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »

In the greater scheme of things, you would probably have more to fear from rodent carried disease than from the wolves.... ..

I like to sit on the front porch and listen to the coyotes on a moon lit night.

klc

I have this here. They play non-classical music and talk real loud while drinking, right?

The mice might have gotten in through a little hole. It is amazingly about 3/8" rectangle but there are chewing marks. I am guessing the hole was attractive and they chewed the wood a bit to fit themselves in. Now plugged with steel wool and some silicon glue behind it so it can't be pulled out easily. Let them eat that!

I hope tomorrow to create the cat holes on my fence and at least a rudimentary shelter.
The lady cat has been coming here to eat twice a day, meowing a lot, eating every morsel, and getting BIG!! Maybe a week or two? They take 9 weeks.

On the other front I think I'm getting covert age/disability discrimination (>50), and when I do get an interview followed by an offer it's real lowball entry level pay I can't live on even after austerity measures to my household budget. WTH. I guess it is tough times for all job seekers.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »

And we're done. Two weeks of discussing pest control on a radio site is undoubtedly more than enough. I'm sure they're all shaking in their fur by now.

As a general list reminder, outlined in the 'How to Use' the QSO section:

"There are far better sites on the internet to get answers on computer problems, non-radio consumer electronics purchases, medical questions, dentures, political rants, famous personalities, conspiracy theories, cooking tips and so on.

Add mice, bugs, bath tub rings, who's a good dentist, age discrimination etc to that list. We're a resource site for Amplitude Modulation on the amateur radio bands, not an AOL chat room. As tempting as it is to use the site as one-stop shopping for quick answers to unrelated topics, please be considerate of the majority of users who visit this site and use it as intended. TNX.

We now return to our regular programming, already in progress.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015