The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USS ALABAMA  (Read 6630 times)
xe1yzy

« on: January 10, 2005, 07:02:45 PM »

Hi folks...

On my way to orlando florida, I have the chance to stop at the museum of the Batleship USS Alabama!

This beatifull 42,500 tons vessel is today a museum open to the general public, be onboard is a  truly unique experience , even today you can feel the souls of the brave men whos faughts in WW2.

and of course, plenty of old radios to look and  enjoy, If you sometimes are in the Interestate 10 in Alabama, don't forget to visit the place!!

You can find more information at;
http://www.ussalabama.com/html/history/index.php

Regards to all!

Pedro XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »

Hola Pedro, welcome back!  How was Orlando?  Hope you didn't get sick on any of the rides.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
xe1yzy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:06:51 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
Hola Pedro, welcome back!  How was Orlando?  Hope you didn't get sick on any of the rides.

73 John

Hi John..

Happy New year...

Orlando was awesome!... I take the ride  " Mission to Mars" in Epcot, man if takes a couple of seconds more to be out of the earth, Im  could S... my pants!!  :mrgreen: .

73'S

TVI WHAT TVI?
wa2zdy
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »

I last visited the USS Alabama site about 1987.  It was an outstanding visit then and I'm sure it has gotten only better since.  The static displays of aircraft was nice and the WW2 fleet submarine USS Drum SS228 made MY day.  (I'm a student of WW2 submarine warfare.)

It is noteworthy that Wayne Green, W2NSD was a radioman on board USS Drum during many of her war patrols.  Wayne wrote about her and his service thereon several times in his Never Say Die editorials.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Pedro.  More folks should take time to see the many vessels on display that show some of the history of the price of freedom.  USS Alabama/USS Drum were the most "accessible" of the many displayed vessels I've visited over the years.  That is to say, those were more open to the public with fewer restricted areas than those in other places.  I assume the liability concerns are mostly to blame for that, and that perhaps Alabama statutes are not as restrictive from a safety standpoint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015