The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:13:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interested in "Customized" HQ-170  (Read 5847 times)
K9DXL

« on: March 29, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »

Why do this??? OK, words fail me so without further comment:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMMARLUND-HQ-170-ONE-SEVENTY-WORKS-SEE-VIDEO/151265946496?_trksid=p2045573.c1000 Huh

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
wb3eii

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »

It does not look much different than the one sitting  next to my DX 100.
 What's the gripe?

VE3AJM

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:06 AM »

Interesting funky looking paint job on that 170.

Nicely done especially with the lettering. It wouldn't have been my choice of paint colour scheme.

He also has a 145 listed on there with the standard looking Hammarlund paint colours if you're cornfused. Roll Eyes

Al VE3AJM
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »

That color looks pretty close to the paint used on the R-390/R-390A.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

Who knows how long ago it was done?  If you have a ratty panel that needs repainting anyway, you do the best with what you can.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

Why do this???

Why do what??? Paint your radio to suit your taste? Or leave the dials sitting in the same place for decades? 

My guess, based on years of old radio gear, is that the owner decided to paint it to match a HT-32 transmitter or maybe the HT-20. Looks very similar to that paint scheme. Or maybe they just didn't care for Hammar's take on how it should look. Either way, it's not like some rare, valuable, high-performance piece of gear was irreversibly destroyed. Hammarlund made some great gear in prior years, but these later rigs were a whole different beast, and probably hastened their demise. I know a year or so back there were three of them at NEAR-Fest under $185, one was under $100. Nobody bought them. None were repainted.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

My question would be, Why not? It is his radio and he can do with it what he wishes.

How valuable it is to others will be determined by the bidding.
K9DXL

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »

Good points raised by all.  I guess I was just kinda shocked to see a somewhat radical paint job on a familiar face, but it did seem pretty well done.  We all make choices when using boatanchor gear, whether to refurbish better than new, use it as is, or just let it sit on the shelf.  I like radios that work about as good as when they were new, with safety issues addressed.  If a set has nicks and scratches, that's OK, just like it might have if I'd bought it 50 years ago and kept it in the shack all this time.
The last post was correct - value is what a buyer is willing to pay.  So I'll try not to be a stick in the mud, and thanks to everyone for your insights.

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »

To be clear, I think it looks stupid, but it's really none of my business.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:47 AM »

Looking closely at all the pics, I think the unit was a resurrection project.   The extreme discoloration on the tuning dials, the state of the chassis plating and erosion, pitting of the tube shields, the repair to the tuning disc, and the rust on the cabinet sheet metal edges.   The paint on the front panel may well have been beyond saving.  I suspect this receiver sat unprotected outside and exposed to the Sun for some period of time.

Looks like he used a Brother brand label maker for the front panel text. 

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
KD0HUX

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »

To each his own Huh No paint here she will continue to age gracefully Smiley
WQ9E

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »

I believe Mike nailed it.  The first HQ-170 I picked up spent its life in the deep south and the front panel shows the effects of humidity, the later HQ series did not do well under humid conditions.  I picked up a HQ-170A VHF for parts to use in restoring another and this one was in good shape EXCEPT a slit in the top of the trim ring and the  sawdust on the chassis below made it clear this was used as a sawhorse at some point.  A lot of radios got abused and although the paint looks bad to us purists it probably looks a whole lot better than it did Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »

Looks to me like rub-on lettering with clear put over it.
When it was new, the clear was pretty much invisible.
Over time, not so invisible any more.
Clear coating the entire panel would have eliminated that look, but iirc
you can't use standard lacquer over rub-on letting, as it lifts them (the solvent).

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Burt
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:57 AM »

I was the winning bidder on this but when I got it, it was not this, it was an HQ-145X in perfect condition. The seller had sold the 145 for $80 more than I paid for the HQ-170 but he shipped his to me and mine to him. I wound up keeping mine and the seller refunded the other guy all his money AND let him keep the odd looking HQ-170.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »

WIN!!  The 145X is a sweet receiver, Burt.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »

Agree with John, you came out very well on that deal!   

A long time ago I ordered a Tektronix 7704A scope from Tucker but they accidentally shipped me a 7934 storage scope instead.  It was in great shape with a better assortment of plug-ins and Tucker agreed to just let me keep it rather than fool with returning and shipping the ordered scope.  Sometimes mistakes do work out in your favor.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015