The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SAFER Tower climbing with an inexpensive fall arrest system  (Read 7443 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: March 29, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »

The other night on 160M a bunch of us were talking about the risk of tower climbing as we get older.  A fall arrest system is almost mandatory to climb safely. OSHA requires it on commercial towers, but few hams have embraced it.

Back about 8 years ago I installed a fall arrest cable on each of my five towers. It requires just one fall arrest latch on the full body harness.  Here's a few threads on the subject.  It is something that all ham tower climbers should use...

Using gorilla hooks to climb can be extremely tiring and cause cramps in the hands. A fall arrest cable lets us climb naturally and stops our fall within a foot. We may get banged up a little if we swing into the tower, but we will survive.

Before the fall arrest system, I dreaded free climbing my towers. The two tallest are 190'ers.  Fainting or a slip  would be deadly.  And this mental stress can make physical stress and exhaustion.  With the fall arrest system, I only complain about the hard work and don't even think about the falling. I still work safely, but have a different and healthy attitude about climbing.  Fear can really ruin it.   'Nuff said.

Here are some notes:

I would start by finding a sliding fall arrest latch that clips to your body harness. There was a Canadian company that made it.  

Once the latch is selected, then match the proper diameter stranded cable to it.  I used 5/16” aircraft galvanized stranded cable for my particular sliding latch.

Put a short, steel angle-iron sidearm or bracket across two legs at the top and bottom of the tower and use U-bolts to secure everything.  Mount the cable out about 3” or so from the tower face, or whatever is comfortable for you to climb -  with the fall arrest latch hanging at your belly button area as you climb..

I clipped the latch to the “X” belt across my front chest area, NOT the back.    If you fall, you don’t want the lead to pull your face into the tower. If secured at the chest, it will let you fall so your face may not hit the tower...

Read in the following threads about my use of a gorilla hook on the center front belt for fast attachment - and a shock absorber lanyard for working.

Here’s some threads that should get you started in the right direction.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=7337.0

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=7011.0

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=19906.0

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

Another good line of safety-climb products is Sala.  I work with tall towers on projects around the world and increasingly see tower climbers who used to consider it sissy to use gorilla hooks using the cable sliders and not complaining.  I finally got some sense and got a Sala slider and fit my 70 footer with a system.  I use heavy angle u-bolted across a face of the tower top and bottom, with a turnbuckle at bottom to snug it up so it doesn't slap all night in the wind.  The cable attaches with heavy eye-bolts and thimbles bought from an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr, not the wussy plated stuff they have at the local hardware chain store.  In any event, match the slider to the cable as there are differences among systems.
About 25 years ago I fell 22 feet off a test tower (no belt or harness because I thought I was too cool for that) and landed on my back.  It hurt, but I was able to hobble away after a few minutes.  I figure I'm not as flexible as I was back then, so I don't want to take another chance.  And, as Tom points out, it's more fun on the tower when you don't have to think about what Eternity might be like, given the less than exemplary lives that some of us have led.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »

Good topic Tom
You are probably in tip-top shape and a careful climber. And glad to read that you are thinking ahead of the curve to protect yourself and others that still want to climb.
It may seem like overkill and wasting time, but your continual awareness of the dangers of tower work will keep you alive and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Pretty serious station you have there, Tom.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »

I use heavy angle u-bolted across a face of the tower top and bottom, with a turnbuckle at bottom to snug it up so it doesn't slap all night in the wind.  The cable attaches with heavy eye-bolts and thimbles bought from an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr, not the wussy plated stuff they have at the local hardware chain store.  

That is exactly the way I have my cables mounted on the tower. The tower face-mounted angle iron and turnbuckle make it easy.  I used 5/16" aircraft cable that I bought in a 1000' roll. The angle iron came from the metal scrapyard.

That's some story about falling 20' onto your back!  Wow.

Yes, Fred, the days of free-climbing and "hoping for the best" are over. This safety stuff was available decades ago, but we tend to take big chances when we are young and stupid...  

We don't see many old base jumpers, do we?   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 02:11:36 PM »

Another good line of safety-climb products is Sala.  I work with tall towers on projects around the world and increasingly see tower climbers who used to consider it sissy to use gorilla hooks using the cable sliders and not complaining.  I finally got some sense and got a Sala slider and fit my 70 footer with a system.  I use heavy angle u-bolted across a face of the tower top and bottom, with a turnbuckle at bottom to snug it up so it doesn't slap all night in the wind.  The cable attaches with heavy eye-bolts and thimbles bought from an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr, not the wussy plated stuff they have at the local hardware chain store.  In any event, match the slider to the cable as there are differences among systems.
About 25 years ago I fell 22 feet off a test tower (no belt or harness because I thought I was too cool for that) and landed on my back.  It hurt, but I was able to hobble away after a few minutes.  I figure I'm not as flexible as I was back then, so I don't want to take another chance.  And, as Tom points out, it's more fun on the tower when you don't have to think about what Eternity might be like, given the less than exemplary lives that some of us have led.

You are lucky you did not collapse a lung!!!
I fell on my back in my pre-teen days and was gasping for a breath. I thought it was the end! Me and my cousin were doing something stupid.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »

I'm reminded of one of the local guys back when I was just a wet-behind-the-ears JN in the 80's. His call was AE1J, MrMike will remember him well. John was a wildman despite his age. He used to offer to go up your tower to fix a rotator, but never bothered to tell you how. He'd not only free climb, he never wore a belt or harness of any kind. Like many of us, he also liked a beer or two, or three. I recall one time he climbed up, fixed the problem, then climbed above the top plate and stood there, feet crossed, leaning on the mast having a smoke. Not so much as a showman, that's just how John did everything: to the extreme. He never had any climbing incidents that I'm aware of. No idea if he's still with us as he was in his 50s-60s back in the 80s.

It's been a few years since I was up a tower. Still use my old 'Hug ya ta Death' belt w/gorilla hooks and a lanyard, or did last time I climbed. Think it even predates the 'sit-on-yer-ass' strap. Got rid of the Heights 65 footer I had, and of the two towers left one is a 45-50' EZ-Way tilt over, and the other has stairs up the middle. Of course being a dad now, my climbing days are probably over. But if I ever did put up a big climber, it would definitely have a fall arrest system on it. As my old friend Ray/KC1BT always said "Doesn't matter if it's 500 feet or 50 - dead is dead". He used to build and maintain big broadcast towers.

Can't remember if I ever sent you copies Tom, but I got some cool night pics of your towers a few years back. Those towers make mine look like step ladders!

* TowerGear.JPG (235.01 KB, 638x960 - viewed 508 times.)

* K1JJ_Tower.JPG (328.63 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 492 times.)

* K1JJ_Tower2.JPG (527.37 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 435 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »

He'd not only free climb, he never wore a belt or harness of any kind. Like many of us, he also liked a beer or two, or three. I recall one time he climbed up, fixed the problem, then climbed above the top plate and stood there, feet crossed, leaning on the mast having a smoke.

Can't remember if I ever sent you copies Tom, but I got some cool night pics of your towers a few years back. Those towers make mine look like step ladders!

Yep, it takes a certain breed to have no fear.  Rich was saying the other day that some guys need to have these experiences just to equal the dopamine level of a normal person.  Anything for a rush.

The problem is, if one of these cowboys climbs our tower and falls, his estate might sue us for negligence, or whatever, and take all our assets.  "Fully insured" is the guy to hire if we can't do it ourselves.

Better yet - insist that ALL climbers use your fall arrest system,  (slider and safety cable)  assuming you have one installed.

Cool on the old tower pics. They're still standing and being used.

T

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

"   "Fully insured" is the guy to hire if we can't do it ourselves.   "

And make sure you get a copy of their insurance.

Its still not a bad idea to call ones' own insurance company (aka 'evil corporation' per IRB) before the climb. You can buy short term insurance to cover the climb for a "reasonable" amount.

klc

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »

BUMP.

Just like a colonoscopy, installing a fall-arrest system is a PIA, but needs to be done.  

Free-climbing is best left to apes.  You know who you are....  Grin

Order the sliding latch and safety cable today!

T

K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »

Tom-

You stated that you use 5/8" cable. Did you mean 5/16" since that particular arrest hardware is for 5/16"?

Rich
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »

Tom-

You stated that you use 5/8" cable. Did you mean 5/16" since that particular arrest hardware is for 5/16"?

Rich

Yep, I caught the error last week and edited it.   I am using 5/16" stranded, galvanized "aircraft" cable for the vertical tower run.

BTW, I tuned up for 160M last night but Fabio's grid coil shorted to a screw.  Sounded like a good session.  Fixed it and hopefully seez ya there next Thurs.

T

K1ETP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »

Yup. The Tron was still awake at 11:15. Good session.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015