The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:24:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out 3885 AM west- Easy- Just Click Link and Listen  (Read 13570 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: January 08, 2005, 10:34:05 AM »

Ted, KC3OL, has set up a link to his AM receiver that usually sits on 3885. It's hassle-free, no receiver dials or passwoirds, etc - just click on the link and you're immediately listening to QSOs out west.

I tried it this morning and heard W5JO, W5OD and a few others in OK and TX holding an AM net.  I listened on my own RX with the west Yagi and could only hear faint carriers in there....

It uses streaming audio at 64Kps sampling rate now and Ted says there will be an option for 16Kps soon for dial up users.  The audio sounds quite good and runs a time delay of only 2 seconds!  The geographical location in Kansas City is quite mid-USA.

The receiver is MUCH more sensitive than others I've heard. Most use broadbanded antennas to cover a wide spectrum and are deaf on 75M. But obviously Ted's set up is optimized for 75M due to his effective station. He's usually one of the loudest western guys into the east coast.

I noticed the QSOs out west were more subdued compared to the east coast, but maybe it's too early in the morning yet.... :grin:  

Click on:
http://www.kc3ol.dynip.com/stream

[You never know who's listening these days]

Great job, Ted!!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 11:31:53 AM »

Maybe some day Ted will allow VOIP to his transmitter (yea right) and you guys can join in the fun here regularly.  What you heard is a bunch that calls itself the Something or other Trader's Net.  They are on every Saturday morning at 8:00 AM.  I usually don't join in, but this morning the guy running the net was so crappy sounding I had to say something.

:tfrag:

In the, early evening, for me I hear you guys pretty well.  Join us when you can and bring your sense of humor.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »

Neat!
I'm getting one second off, one on of audio even though I'm running about 52kbs on phone line.
Enough to hear if there are phone conversations.
All I heard this late in morning was power line hum and receiver noise. Just like home. Wonder how many will be able to listen at same time when activity picks up later. Server lock anyone?  : )

Plan to work the rally tonight w/813 rig. Probably start on 1885.  Um counting the Pdahl power deck and modulator deck, still don't think it will reach 300 lbs.  But hey, will drag down the bathroom scales. The rack, caster platform etc. all count.

Hey Sue!  come'ere and help me lift something.

RICK  *W3RSW*
kc3ol
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 01:22:36 PM »

I have it working at the 16 Kbps rate using RealPlayer.
This should work better for those who are using dialup modems.

You need to have RealPlayer installed to make it work.  It’s free.

When you have RealPlayer up on your screen just click on “file” and then “open”, and then paste in this URL:

http://www.kc3ol.dynip.com/stream/index16.html

BTW,  I often put the receiver up on 7295 in afternoons.

At the present time there is a 10 minute timer.  Just hit the refresh button to re-connect.

73, Ted, KC3OL
W1GFH
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 02:43:11 PM »

Quote from: kc3ol
I have it working at the 16 Kbps rate using RealPlayer.
This should work better for those who are using dialup modems.

You need to have RealPlayer installed to make it work.  It’s free.

When you have RealPlayer up on your screen just click on “file” and then “open”, and then paste in this URL:

http://www.kc3ol.dynip.com/stream/index16.html

I tried it and it doesn't work. I get Realplayer popups saying I need additional software and the additional software is not available. Hm.

BTW: 3870 is the W.Coast and N. West hangout. Most nights the AMers don't try and fight the militant SSBers who are netted in the AM window.  Instead they wait until after 9 or 10PM PST.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 10:48:12 PM »

Looks like Ted's remote receiver is getting lots of use tonight.  I could hear my own 2 second echos while talking with him direct.  Other guys were trying it out too.

The Heavy Metal rally is real successful tonight with big activity all across the US on 75M.

Hoping to work more west coast on 3880 later tonight.  Worked WA and CA at about 9PM local EST.  The band is REAL long tonight very early. Locals are PW.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
wavebourn
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:36:47 AM »

Quote from: K3MSB
Quote from: K1JJ
The Heavy Metal rally is real successful tonight with big activity all across the US on 75M.

Hoping to work more west coast on 3880 later tonight.  Worked WA and CA at about 9PM local EST.  The band is REAL long tonight very early. Locals are PW.

T

Some nice West coast stuff worked from Central PA around 0130 EST Sunday on 75M -- Clay W7CE was booming in here from Seattle;   Mike K06NN, NI6Q, and John  WA6JUS were not strong (about S3), but no trouble copying them.  

I heard well Mike KO6NM, his voice was exceptionally clean, other guys sounded weak, because my receiver was not tuned yet, and I did not have antenna. Today I put a wire on the highest tree near my house, and baddly want to check how it works now.

Just now I heard  here in San Francisco Bay Area on 75M very loud and clean couple of guys from South, 500 miles from me. Brian NI6Q and David W6PSS. There were two more guys, Mike and Garry, one of them spoke about a lot of snow, but I don't remember their callsigns. They sounded clean and loud as well, despite their signals faded.

Also, nearly on the same frequency a bit higher was another AM team, but they stopped to talk both simultaneously.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 06:46:59 AM »

Someone needs to do this on the east coast so I can monitor Irb and the D-104 mike check net at work.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015