The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathing with your Radio  (Read 2401 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« on: March 08, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

Let's face it, those old radios you find at the fester or in the widows barn are dirty. I mean some of them are downright filthy with mouse nests and nicotine build up. Some even have some seepage from components and most have a dust layer similar to the lunar surface. With surplus stuff, generally everything is pretty immune to a scrubbin and some folks let them dry in the sun and some use the wife's oven. I am little more nervous with commercial gear. What is your technique?

* DirtyTransmitter.jpg (148.47 KB, 800x533 - viewed 486 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »

I call that a "summer time" radio because they are the type I clean up outside when the weather is sunny and hot.  I remember several years ago one of the restorers in the southwest became sick from Hantavirus - presumably from a mouse dropping coated radio he had restored earlier.  I use a good mask and start with foaming cleaner.  I use both low pressure spray and also an engine cleaning tool that works with my compressor but be careful with this one not to damage components, it is mostly for chassis crud.  I avoid direct spray into transformers, IF cans, etc. and I remove meters and dials before I start this process; they are cleaned as necessary but be very careful with these parts.  Take all of the knobs off before you start as these trap dirt and debris underneath and the crud will gradually loosen and leave streaks on the panel.

Again all of this is done outside because with some of these radios you don't want to contaminate your shop.

I use the compressor and air gun to blow water out of enclosed areas, rinse with distilled water followed by a second pass with the air gun.  If you use dehumidifiers these provide a good source of mineral free water for the rinse operation.  If it isn't a windy day I will use an electric fan late in the process to help drying.

Rodger WQ9E
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »

I call that a "summer time" radio because they are the type I clean up outside when the weather is sunny and hot.  I remember several years ago one of the restorers in the southwest became sick from Hantavirus - presumably from a mouse dropping coated radio he had restored earlier.  I use a good mask and start with foaming cleaner.  I use both low pressure spray and also an engine cleaning tool that works with my compressor but be careful with this one not to damage components, it is mostly for chassis crud.  I avoid direct spray into transformers, IF cans, etc. and I remove meters and dials before I start this process; they are cleaned as necessary but be very careful with these parts.  Take all of the knobs off before you start as these trap dirt and debris underneath and the crud will gradually loosen and leave streaks on the panel.

Again all of this is done outside because with some of these radios you don't want to contaminate your shop.

I use the compressor and air gun to blow water out of enclosed areas, rinse with distilled water followed by a second pass with the air gun.  If you use dehumidifiers these provide a good source of mineral free water for the rinse operation.  If it isn't a windy day I will use an electric fan late in the process to help drying.
Probably the best advice. Summertime job to have a lot of sunshine to see what is going on and keep the funk out of your house. Wear surgical gloves or plastic work gloves to keep cleaning solutions and the funk from getting on your skin. Thorough rinsing and long time outside to dry.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015