The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About time! A real AM QSO on six meters  (Read 5515 times)
n4joy

« on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »

As many of you know from previous posts, I have had little luck with making contacts on six meters.  Well, I just had a very nice QSO for several hours on 50.4 with WA4BWO.  My Gonset Communicator IV sounded great!  Very nice audio with the two 6BQ5s (plate modulation, 10w push-pull).  I was using an old 50-11,000 Hi-z Astatic "Sonotone" ceramic CM-10A tape-recorder/PA/radio microphone--sounded surprisingly good.

Hopefully more contacts will be in the future!   We are going to have regular, evening ragchews on 50.4 and we'd love to have others on board!

Chris, N4JOY
Wa4bwo

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »

Smiley We were sooooo ready for an AM contact on 6! I did, however, use my Yaesu FT857D for the QSO. I am ashamed Roll Eyes of myself. To my credit though, I have finished the checkout and cleanup of my Heathkit Seneca 6 / 2 M transmitter and also finished building the Power supply for my AMECO CN-2 converter. Everything checks out well and the 2 meter beam is built and ready to be hoisted up. I feel a 2 M AM contact coming on!!!!.
We are still meeting on 6 M 50.4 every Sunday evening at 6:30 EST and would enjoy anyone to give us a call. If anyone has or knows of an AMECO 6 meter receive converter, I will happily purchase it! By the way, the receiver that I am using is my Collins 75S1. Glad to bring it up to VHF and it's happy to being used somewhere other than HF SSB. Come on folks. Let's get AM back up and running.....! Kinda like the ole' days Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
73 WA4BWO
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »

That Seneca works FB when plate modulated. Mine was used on 2 meter AM for a while that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015