The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRN-Poof its Gone  (Read 3871 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »

Today on the last week before I return to the workforce, I happened to be outside taking in a recycling container when a large orange truck slowly drove by. My lord it was a Public Service of NH Truck! I have been suffering from a horrible QRN situation that I had traced to a pole two doors down which turned out to be a streetlamp that was out. This thing was causing a 50 on the meter of my R-390A on 80 Meters. I even wrote an article about my noise issue and it is in this months Electric Radio Magazine.

My online complaint had gone in in December but I still had no relief. To my horror the truck drove past the pole and continued down the street. I was crestfallen but then I saw the truck stop - not at my lamp but at the last one just before the end of the street. And he was going up in a bucket. Was that lamp out too? I ran down and sure enough, he already had the lamp apart and was fooling with the thing. So he spotted me and we had a conversation about my pole.

Tonight we have no arcing noise!  Boy that good old atmospheric noise sounds good!

I am convinced that it was just dumb luck that I was home and that he was in a good mood.

These are the good old days of AM
W1FVB

VB Radio

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »

Congratulations! I had the same arcing problems , ever since I've moved in to this house. I knew it had to be a street light, but couldn't find the one causing problems. Turns out, I've missed a broken street light on closed factory yard next door, took numbers of the pole and filled in the PSNH online form. A week later my friends in the orange truck came and bye bye noise!  Smiley
After 8 years, finally no arcing noise at night

Frits W1FVB

vbradio.wordpress.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »

Nothing's been done about arcing here. The city of Dallas and the electrical wire delivery company are unhelpful.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »

Always had good response from CVPS in VT for noise issues. Mine were usually street light issues as well, low pressure sodium bulbs or some kind of ballast going bad, causing them to cycle every few minutes. They were loud and obnoxious. Two weeks was the longest I ever had to wait.

Turned out one of the guys in the office was a new ham, which might've helped a bit. Having the pole number handy is a must.

It sure is nice when the quiet returns.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015